Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Spirituality of Pagans and Non-Believers

Guyver

• 1 month later...

I’m bringing this thread back up because for me this spiritual path is working.  I get to do whatever I want to do without judgement, because I don’t believe God is judging me.  I could be judging what many people think is God, so…that obviously doesn’t work.  But this new path of neo-pagan spirituality that I follow let’s me be myself, find the beauty in things I find beauty in, be open to spiritual experiences and new things if they are good…and choose the paths that I wish to follow without religious dictates telling me what to do.  I’m just a beginner, I’m no expert, but so far I like it.  FWIW.

Part of my philosophy is…have a good time, and try to be nice to other people as much as possible.

• Like 5

One example of this is being open to other people.  I had said that I had a family of skunks living in my backyard, and I didn’t like it because I didn’t want to get sprayed, and I didn’t want to have to deal with a dead animal carcass in my yard.  Anyway, MrsGently, @MrsGently responded and she said no…just let those animals live, let the part of your yard by the plum tree be a skunk sanctuary instead of calling the exterminator. So, I did.  And guess what?  It worked.  I got to practice my religion, which is not to kill animals unless you eat them, the skunks got to live, they bred, then they left.  They are not in my yard any more.  They bred, then they fled and I am happy.  So, everybody wins in my philosophy, no one died, and everyone including MrsGently is happy.

• Like 7

PS.  I have had possums die in my yard twice now, and I have had to deal with their rotting corpses.  They stink and they look disgusting and it’s creepy.  FWIW.

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2024 at 6:47 AM, superman73 said:

Check out Iron Maiden, Candlemass with Messiah Marcolin, they will change your mind as far as heavy metal is concerned. If you are on the pagan side, you might like Skyclad with Martin Walkyier.His lyrics will blow your mind!

I forgot Warrel Dane-sancturary

• Like 2

On 6/6/2024 at 1:00 AM, Guyver said:

Did someone say UFO?

My favorite UFO song! The live version on Strangers in the Night is killer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Ol Hank, why do you drink?

It's interesting what the energy of fame and fortune does to people.

Is it social pressure -- the "high" of being there in the moment and everybody loves you?  Were they depressive and trying to self-medicate into having a "really good time"?  I don't know, honestly, but the experience of being a national (or global0 star wrecks a lot of people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Kenemet said:

It's interesting what the energy of fame and fortune does to people.

Is it social pressure -- the "high" of being there in the moment and everybody loves you?  Were they depressive and trying to self-medicate into having a "really good time"?  I don't know, honestly, but the experience of being a national (or global0 star wrecks a lot of people.

Yes.  As a musician myself (though not a true professional),  I can say that I don’t always “feel” like playing.  Maybe it’s just because one has had a bad day.  Spilled one’s coffee, stubbed one’s toe…etc.  or, maybe one has had a hangover all day, but still has to get ready for a show that night, and is just not in the mood for playing another show, or two.  Sometimes performers have to do two shows in one night.  It’s very hard to do at times, and I have done it.  Nothing like a real pro or rock star, but I have played two shows.  For each show, performers have to haul and set up gear, sound check, play the show, break down the gear, move all the gear, re-set up, re- sound check, play another show, then break it all down and move it again, all the while trying to eat and sleep like a normal person.  I don’t do drugs, unless one considers Mary J Uwanna drugs, but I have done alcohol, a lot.  Sometimes, if a person has a hang over, a little hair of the dog, you know a Bloody Mary or two makes the sickness go away and one feels a little better.  So, for someone like Ol Hank, I could see how he got hooked on booze and it just became a habit he couldn’t break.  I keep his memory alive  for myself by doing All My exes live in Texas lol. And I also do a cover of a song about him by Waylon Jennings called “Ol Hank.” It’s one of my favorites.  Anyway, thanks for your response.

• Like 4

As you may have figured out, I’m pretty much just kind of a lost person, trying to figure things out, trying to find something to believe in.  I’m not sure if I’m open to signs…you know.  Some people believe in signs.  I think I may be empathetic.  Like I mean the counselor Troy from Star Trek.  Well, maybe not that much.  But, I’m serious.  Maybe I’m just getting old…but…bad news from people I care about really hurts me emotionally, as if I can actually feel their pain.  Does that sound crazy?

5 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Why believe in anything? 

We are human, how do you think we survive?   Do you believe the earth spins on it's axis so that we have day and night as it rotates around the sun?  If not, how do you prepare for your day, how do reconcile the different times on the clock that keep you in synch with the rest of the world?   If we didn't believe in time, clocks would be useless and no one could make an appointment or keep it because no one would agree on what time it is.  (I don't believe time is real in the way that we use it, but we need a cohesive society so we use clocks and calendars to approximate time)    

I agree, we don't have to believe in anything non tangible, we can have non tangible experiences and make all kinds of things up about them and believe what we or someone else has made up.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

We are human, how do you think we survive?   Do you believe the earth spins on it's axis so that we have day and night as it rotates around the sun?  If not, how do you prepare for your day, how do reconcile the different times on the clock that keep you in synch with the rest of the world?   If we didn't believe in time, clocks would be useless and no one could make an appointment or keep it because no one would agree on what time it is.  (I don't believe time is real in the way that we use it, but we need a cohesive society so we use clocks and calendars to approximate time)    

I agree, we don't have to believe in anything non tangible, we can have non tangible experiences and make all kinds of things up about them and believe what we or someone else has made up.   

We don't need to believe in the earth's rotation for it to rotate. We don't need to believe in the passage of time in order to observe it. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Why believe in anything? 

Because we can’t know everything?    ..I can’t know that the earth will not be destroyed by some sort of cosmic violence today, i choose to believe it won’t.??      but ya, that’s not a belief IN something … Good question.

• Like 1

Just now, lightly said:

Because we can’t know everything?    ..I can’t know that the earth will not be destroyed by some sort of cosmic violence today, i choose to believe it won’t.??      but ya, that’s not a belief IN something … Good question.

I don't even think about stuff that I can't affect. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Piney said:

I don't even think about stuff that I can't affect. 

Hmm..  sounds quieter..  I’ll give that some thought :P

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

We don't need to believe in the earth's rotation for it to rotate. We don't need to believe in the passage of time in order to observe it. 

But we all have to agree on what time it is and that is a belief.   Why do you think we have leap year?   Because we don't know how to calculate the days accurately so we get as close as we can and then add a day every 4 years (except when the year is divisible by 100).   That complexity indicates that the way we measure time is not quite right.  Another indication is that we allow our governments to make us change the clocks twice a year for no real reason, it has nothing to do with what we were told but we do it anyway so that we can keep in synch with everyone else.  That is belief.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

It's an assumption. 

Same thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

HI Desertrat 

I wouldn't say I believe in time and see it as a tool. I worked shift work for several years and my day still started with breakfast even at 10pm. When I started working for myself and many years after I put in long days 7 days a week for months on end what day or month it was was meaningless as it was just a blur of getting up working and grab a couple of hours sleep and repeat. 

I tend to accept things as they are rather than believe in them. 

• Like 4

Then there are people who affect caring about things they don't even think about.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

But we all have to agree on what time it is and that is a belief.   Why do you think we have leap year?   Because we don't know how to calculate the days accurately so we get as close as we can and then add a day every 4 years (except when the year is divisible by 100).   That complexity indicates that the way we measure time is not quite right.  Another indication is that we allow our governments to make us change the clocks twice a year for no real reason, it has nothing to do with what we were told but we do it anyway so that we can keep in synch with everyone else.  That is belief.

For me: The challenges reflect our ongoing efforts to create a system that works for us.

Daylight Saving Time, on the other hand, adds in another layer of this social construct, aimed at making better use of daylight during the longer days of summer. While opinions on its effectiveness do vary, the choice to adopt it does involve a collective agreement among societies.

For me: you have a good point too, that much of our understanding of time relies on shared beliefs and systems. It’s good to question these systems and consider how they affect us, and it encourages discussions about creating systems that might serve us better.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Why do you think we have leap year?   Because we don't know how to calculate the days accurately so we get as close as we can and then add a day every 4 years (except when the year is divisible by 100...

... except except when the year is divisible by 400, thus 2000 was a leap year, and on and on...

That complexity indicates that the way we measure time is not quite right.

On the contrary, we have leap years because we measure the days only too well, and it's just a fact that Nature was not so kind as to make one swing around the sun occur in a whole number of spins on the axis.

It turns out that Nature can't quite keep the swings and spins in constant relation, so we need leap seconds every once in a while.

But yeah, DST is just one of those things governments like to do, harmless things like everybody takes their shoes off then puts them back on again before boarding an airplane. It reminds us who's boss. It's fun to be boss, you get to play Simon says with grown-ups.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 1