Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Spirituality of Pagans and Non-Believers

Guyver

19 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Success comes in many forms, not just money. Children are a form of success. Hiking to the top of a mountain, saving someone's life, learning something new, and a whole host of other forms. Basicly, anything that gives you a sense of accomplishment. Small, or large doesn't matter. It's the journey that counts. Even battling your recalcitrant bathroom. Once it's finished of course. 

Dude!  Thank you so much for saying that.  You are an awesome bro. I fixed the toilet.  It was frustrating.  The bolts were so old that they were hard to break loose, plus you have your head in the toilet while you do a “reach-under” to try and get those nuts underneath the toilet basin, connecting it to the bowl.  Anyway…since I made an error, and had to learn from the mistake of attempting to reuse an old gasket…..I had to rebuild the whole damn thing.  On the upside, I now know how to completely rebuild a toilet and I’m not even a plumber…..and I don’t like doing it…but now that I know I can do it?  You are so right.  That is an accomplishment.  I feel I saved myself at least 400 bucks minimum on this job….and I now feel confident to save myself another 400 in the future twice, because there are three toilets in my house.  Thank you for reading threads and being a part of this discussion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I looked up Paganism

Paganism is a polytheistic or pantheistic nature-worshipping religion. It is the ancestral religion of the whole of humanity. 

You also say you are a 'nonbeliever'. 

I'm not understanding what you do believe/follow/worship. 

Thank you for looking that up.  Yes…that is the general definition…but to be specific, they believe in spirits, as many people groups do/did, including the Natives of North and South America.  When I say that I am a non-believer, I am referencing the fact that I lost my faith in the Bible and in most religions. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Piney said:

'No One Gets Out Alive'  My mom had that book, but I haven't read it since 8th grade. 

Nice!!! I read John Densmore’s book….but…I forget the title.  I’m pretty sure it was his first book.  He really went into detail, and did a great job.  He was like a jazz drummer and total fan of jazz.  The whole story of the band is so cool and so historic musically, but…my biggest takeaway from the book is that Jim Morrison was a talented and awesome dude….but he was completely insane….literally….drank so much booze that he makes me look like a little flailing child drinker.  Densmore basically loved and hated that guy at the same time and I get it.  But, that’s looking back with modern eyes…judging….thinking….these guys should act like professionals!!!!  But…they were kinda first gen inspirational rock stars…and they partied like it.  Like the Stones and every other rock band from that era besides Rush lol.  Anyway…Morrison comes in late for shows, ripped off his ass, cussing people and ruining the show?! Forget about it.  What a fail.  Sigh.  He just couldn’t help himself.  He became such a star he just went off the rails.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You know…a lot these remarkable people, you know Jimi, Janis, Jim, and many many other super talented people, suffer from addiction, and other emotional/social issues, anxiety, self doubt…I mean….if you have ever known an Uber-talented person, I know you know they are quirky to say the least.  Anyway..a person with a tendency for addiction, cannot get enough of that thing sometimes… I know an Uber talented dude who is addicted to coffee right now.  Not long ago, he couldn’t even handle one cup of coffee because it gave him anxiety.  But, as Hammer said in another thread, even the decaf coffee has some caffeine in it…and it is a stimulant.  Anyway…now, his addiction is coffee, eating like a horse, and working out to be completely shredded. I’m just saying.

14 hours ago, joc said:

Wrongo!

That...

....was a good breath...

You are so right.  I can be such a pessimist sometimes.  I should be thankful for the little things and consider that a win.  That would be a spiritual approach as I see it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Antigonos said:

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Thank you.  I stand corrected.  I was depressed and three sheets into the wind when I said that.  There is satisfaction in life, along with the pain.

• Like 2

Here is something I consider a natural phenomenon that could make one consider things as we perceive them.  It’s called perspective, and from my experience and repeated testing….it is real.  I’m sure people who have solved differential equations could probably discuss parallax and so forth.  Here’s the point.  Let’s say you observe a heavenly body like the full moon, or setting sun at a given time, in a given location according to your frame of reference at that point.  Let’s just say for sake of argument that it is the setting sun.  I have learned to observe the setting sun as many times as possible to determine time really.  Anyway…I can make an observation about the setting sun from my patio, then move only 25 feet south East into the kitchen, look out the window from only 25 feet or less variation, and get a completely different number on the degrees and perspective.

What I’m saying is that if you observe a celestial body and take measurements, then move only a short difference as the crow flies less than twenty feet, take a new reading and measurements aren’t even close.  

Try it for yourself and see if I am right.

One more thing.  I did repeated sunset observations from different locations on successive evenings at a longer distance.  I walked to the top of my walking route (when I’m exercising sigh) and I made an observation with the compass on my phone, and made note of the measurements.  Then, the next evening at sunset I measured it from my backyard about two miles away, and the measurements varied significantly.  I have repeated this experiment and the results hold up.

• Like 1

I’m pretty sure the phenomenon that I am discussing is explainable by science.  It’s just that I don’t know math and science on a high enough level to get into the calculus to factor in the motion of time.  But let’s get serious, in this measurement it’s only 2:30  variation in one day.  Therefore, mathematically, we could take that number in degrees and make an adjustment, though slight, to the readings, which I did consider but not prove, and in my mind the variance is over ten degrees.  

Sorry to ramble, I’m just thinking about it.  Some people may say “you made faulty measurements.”  Ok.  Fair enough.  Let’s say that’s true.  I have made faulty measurements.  As we know, the exact time of the setting sun varies each day by a small amount.  If you were off by a few seconds, that could give a degree or two.  If your back was out that day while you were measuring you could be off by another degree.  If you shaked somehow just slightly at the exact time you took your last reading, you could be off by a couple of degrees.  But to get in excess of 10 degrees variation, all things considered.  It seems like something to me.

• Like 1

For readers of this thread, I know I have been rambling on and so forth.  I just want to say, that I do feel like I could have done a better job on the experiment by using a tripod.  A tripod would have given better results, therefore everything I just said is complete BS.  I’m throwing out those results, I’m re-doing the experiment using a tripod, and I will report my findings in this thread. Thank you for reading, and for your patience.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 8:26 AM, Guyver said:

I believe in living according to two things, management by objectives, and life by principles.  I believe and support the idea of living by principles, and I consider that a part of my own spirituality.  The reason that I believe that living according to one’s own principles is spirituality is because it is a form of truth. 

I agree with these points. 

Eastern philosophy and sages like the Buddha and Anandamayi Ma considers virtuous conduct and ethical behavior to be valuable in expansion of consciousness leading to enlightenment.

Rajini Menon is a modern enlightened sage who had attained enlightenment  by obeying her conscience and adhering to virtuous conduct. I had created a thread on her over here ...

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Guyver said:

Dude!  Thank you so much for saying that.  You are an awesome bro. I fixed the toilet.  It was frustrating.  The bolts were so old that they were hard to break loose, plus you have your head in the toilet while you do a “reach-under” to try and get those nuts underneath the toilet basin, connecting it to the bowl.  Anyway…since I made an error, and had to learn from the mistake of attempting to reuse an old gasket…..I had to rebuild the whole damn thing.  On the upside, I now know how to completely rebuild a toilet and I’m not even a plumber…..and I don’t like doing it…but now that I know I can do it?  You are so right.  That is an accomplishment.  I feel I saved myself at least 400 bucks minimum on this job….and I now feel confident to save myself another 400 in the future twice, because there are three toilets in my house.  Thank you for reading threads and being a part of this discussion.

Tank gasket? They are a pain and if it's not seated right you get a earful because someone got a wet ass. 

Your rambling made me laugh this morning. I needed that. 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Guyver said:

Existential crisis.  Thank you for the question.  What happened to me is simple.  Have you ever heard that song by Sting called, “If I Ever Lose My Faith in You?” Well, that happened to me.  I lost my faith in a person first, someone I dearly loved…..then….probably at least ten years later I lost my faith in the Bible.  A few years after that I lost my faith in Christianity, which I had identified with since I was 17.  That’s what did me in.  But, since I’m not actually done….I’m still going on lost, but having a good time along the way.  And, I need to change that about myself.  I really know I do.  I need discipline, less drinking, and way more exercise.  I am actually embarrassed about how soft I’ve become.  Anyway…thanks for listening and peace be with you.

Your children are all that is important, be a great dad and everything else is so unimportant and in significant it doesn't matter. Get up each day and view it as new day forget the rest of it, put one foot in front of the other. Most importantly sever all attachments to the past, if you continue to dwell on them, they will eat you up from the inside out.

Peace my friend.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2024 at 4:57 PM, Alex_Rogan said:

I'll hold my breath until you get the joke.

Well you can breathe safely, I got it. It's just you awoke my inner pedant with the fundamentally flawed logic of the world ending with the last 27 clubber dies...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ajay0 said:

I agree with these points. 

Eastern philosophy and sages like the Buddha and Anandamayi Ma considers virtuous conduct and ethical behavior to be valuable in expansion of consciousness leading to enlightenment.

Rajini Menon is a modern enlightened sage who had attained enlightenment  by obeying her conscience and adhering to virtuous conduct. I had created a thread on her over here ...

Love it.  Enlightenment is not about virtuous conduct alone.  Not by a long chalk.  Otherwise all those vegan woke virtue signalers would be enlightened, when they are actually going in the wrong direction.  Anyone who disagrees can DM me to find out why.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

Otherwise all those vegan woke virtue signalers would be enlightened,

Woke is a memetic virus, a disease of the mind. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alchopwn said:

Enlightenment is not about virtuous conduct alone.  Not by a long chalk.  Otherwise all those vegan woke virtue signalers would be enlightened, when they are actually going in the wrong direction. 

Ha so you admit that vegan woke virtue signalers are engaging in virtuous conduct?  (you don't have to answer that, just trying to reinforce why discussions of whatever the hell 'woke' means this week belong on another thread)

Personally I think virtuous conduct blows away 'enlightenment' as far as what should be lauded and praised.  Enlightenment can be good for people but it is all about the specific person which lends it an air of selfishness, one thing I think the Bible got right was, taken generally, that we'll know them by their fruits.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

virtue signalers

Doesn't imply virtuous behavior. 

Edit: Think of the Christian who keeps a Bible on their dash board for all to see. Puts out a good image is all.

Edited by XenoFish

Just now, XenoFish said:

Doesn't imply virtuous behavior. 

I'm replying to Al's logic, that if enlightenment was about virtuous conduct then vegan woke virtue signalers would be enlightened, which means they are engaging in virtuous conduct.  Not what I think he intended of course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I'm replying to Al's logic, that if enlightenment was about virtuous conduct then vegan woke virtue signalers would be enlightened, which means they are engaging in virtuous conduct.  Not what I think he intended of course.

I can't speak for him. What it came off to me as people putting up a front. I suspect those who do actually engage in virtuous behavior should have the humility to not brag about it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I can't speak for him. What it came off to me as people putting up a front. I suspect those who do actually engage in virtuous behavior should have the humility to not brag about it.

Because engaging in virtuous behavior is a selfless activity, and drawing attention to yourself for committing positive actions implies selfishness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well as woke vegan I am extremely spiritual. You should see me sipping my green tea nibbling my veggies after a good hour of Yoga how I condemn selfish, self-righteous and short-sighted behaviour.

It's ****ing impressive.

But I am totally annoyed by all the virtue signaling, alas those are social media people and per se more actors than 'real personalities'. Those who constantly sit on the send button are most likely those who have the least valuable contributions to make.

That's just how it is. Interesting people are busy with other things than constantly 'sharing their approval and disapproval' with the world, because they're the ones making the world go round.