Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oregon governor signs law recriminalizing drug possession


OverSword

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
Quote

 

Oregon Gov. Tina Kotek (D) on Monday signed a law recriminalizing the possession of small amounts of drugs.

The law makes personal use possession a misdemeanor punishable with sentences of up to six months in jail. However, it also creates avenues for treatment instead of criminal penalties by encouraging law enforcement agencies to start programs that would move defendants toward addiction and mental health services.

Link

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

Quote

 

Did Oregon pull the plug too soon on drug decriminalization?

Addiction experts in the state say the decision to end Measure 110 about three years after voters passed the first-in-the-nation law is misguided and misinformed.

 

Link

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Morons.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It doesn't work to be too permissive as a parent or government.  Being too lenient jeopardizes bystander.  I kinda like living in a state where voters change policy.  I rather be represented than ruled.  Well, we learned and corrected,  On the whole, maybe you are less of a moron if you learn from the present than if you lock yourself into the past.:devil:

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We need a separate criminal track for drug addiction.  I am all for spending more on getting these folks into rehab.  I want very harsh penalties for being a drug addict if you refuse to seek provided treatment.  Make it so they have no choice.  You also have to make it so it is hard to be out on the street too.  This means removing homeless encampments, discouraging panhandling, etc.  

Basically make it such a PITA to be a homeless drug addict that they have no choice but to seek treatment.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

It doesn't work to be too permissive as a parent or government.  Being too lenient jeopardizes bystander.  I kinda like living in a state where voters change policy.  I rather be represented than ruled.  Well, we learned and corrected,  On the whole, maybe you are less of a moron if you learn from the present than if you lock yourself into the past.:devil:

 

He may have been referring to the addiction experts opinion that this was rescinded too soon.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, OverSword said:

He may have been referring to the addiction experts opinion that this was rescinded too soon.

 

Maybe, but if you live here, you think it has been long enough.  If somebody is going to shoot up and pass out, they should have the decency to do it out of sight, not on the street corner or in front  of their tent.

I do feel sorry for those who have sunk so low, after all, I am a peace and love snowflake.  But I have raised children.  Responsibility and consequences need to be a part of maturing into adulthood. Adults can be tolerant, but we also have to stand up for our own lives and safety.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Maybe, but if you live here, you think it has been long enough.  If somebody is going to shoot up and pass out, they should have the decency to do it out of sight, not on the street corner or in front  of their tent.

I do feel sorry for those who have sunk so low, after all, I am a peace and love snowflake.  But I have raised children.  Responsibility and consequences need to be a part of maturing into adulthood. Adults can be tolerant, but we also have to stand up for our own lives and safety.

Yes and as a city dweller where there is a big drug problem it's obvious that decriminalized hard drugs make everyone less safe.  If it were taken a step further making it legal and regulated then I believe we would have a different and more positive outcome.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Yes and as a city dweller where there is a big drug problem it's obvious that decriminalized hard drugs make everyone less safe.  If it were taken a step further making it legal and regulated then I believe we would have a different and more positive outcome.

"Yes and" sounds like a hopeful positive way to start.  I agree with you. It is a better solution to crime, litter, and homelessness than preaching to people that they should not behave like that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

The law makes personal use possession a misdemeanor punishable with sentences of up to six months in jail. However, it also creates avenues for treatment instead of criminal penalties by encouraging law enforcement agencies to start programs that would move defendants toward addiction and mental health services.

Cautious thumbs up...

Quote

Oregon state House Minority Leader Jeff Helfrich (R) said after Kotek signed the new law that it showed how his party “stood united and forced Democrats” to bring back criminal penalties.

Dammit, there's always one!

Perfectly good opportunity to move things forwards, and then you get these muppets trying to play 1v1 again.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

 

SOME drugs should be legalized.  Alcohol already is.  In most states, one version or another of marijuana already is; we need to decriminalize it at the Federal level.  Ecstasy is a relatively harmless drug; if alcohol and marijuana are legal, it should be too.

But then there are drugs like cocaine, meth, fentanyl, narcotics and PCP that are seriously dangerous.  Maybe they could be legalized for use under supervision - only available at certain places where professionals regulate amounts and steer users toward treatment.

And back that up with jail for those that don't get the message.

Doug

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
3 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

we need to decriminalize it at the Federal level. 

Not decriminalize, legalize.  If it's legal it has to be FDA approved and a legitimate taxable distribution system is set up. Say goodbye to the cartels and illicit chemicals from China.

Consider this too, as a teenager in the 80's I could easily buy marijuana or cocaine, what I could not buy easily was alcohol.  If drugs were legal minors would have a tougher time getting them.  

Quote

In states where marijuana remains prohibited, 14 percent of high-school seniors said they had used a delta-8 product in the past year, the federally funded research found. Where marijuana was legal, that figure was 7 percent.

Link

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Edumakated said:

We need a separate criminal track for drug addiction.  I am all for spending more on getting these folks into rehab.  I want very harsh penalties for being a drug addict if you refuse to seek provided treatment.  Make it so they have no choice.  You also have to make it so it is hard to be out on the street too.  This means removing homeless encampments, discouraging panhandling, etc.  

Basically make it such a PITA to be a homeless drug addict that they have no choice but to seek treatment.

Even if they seek treatment and dry out,  they  need to have a job that pays enough to keep them off the street, with rent, food and minimum medical care. I don't know if you have ever done any extended camping, but even with good gear in the winter  it is a PITA.. Cold and dirty is no ones idea of a good life. Add to that rain which soaks your gear and the human stink that goes along with caveman sanitation and it becomes pretty Hellish.

People do not choose that life because they like it, they choose because they are hooked, or for whatever reason have no choice. Maybe they are afraid of the deep state controlling their lives, IDK.

If I wanted to punish someone harshly, I would take them out of a warm dry prison cell and stick them in a wet tent with wet gear, shivering, hungry. with no expectation of a meal, dirty and never being warm or clean.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Even if they seek treatment and dry out,  they  need to have a job that pays enough to keep them off the street, with rent, food and minimum medical care. I don't know if you have ever done any extended camping, but even with good gear in the winter  it is a PITA.. Cold and dirty is no ones idea of a good life. Add to that rain which soaks your gear and the human stink that goes along with caveman sanitation and it becomes pretty Hellish.

People do not choose that life because they like it, they choose because they are hooked, or for whatever reason have no choice. Maybe they are afraid of the deep state controlling their lives, IDK.

If I wanted to punish someone harshly, I would take them out of a warm dry prison cell and stick them in a wet tent with wet gear, shivering, hungry. with no expectation of a meal, dirty and never being warm or clean.

That's what I am saying.  We have to aggressively prosecute the petty crime, panhandling, loitering, etc that is typical with the homeless.  However, we need a system in place to get these people the help they need to stay off the streets. I rather spend money on rehab, job training, etc than just straight up jail.  Regular jail should only be for those that can't seem to get the message to clean up or refuse to take advantage of the resources provided.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's what the whole "Defund the Police" movement is about.  Creating a system that deals with the social issues, thus freeing up police to focus on the criminal ones.  The problem is that politicians usually just end up giving lip service to the social issues, effectively just piling more criminal regulations on the police without the support.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Edumakated said:

That's what I am saying.  We have to aggressively prosecute the petty crime, panhandling, loitering, etc that is typical with the homeless.  However, we need a system in place to get these people the help they need to stay off the streets. I rather spend money on rehab, job training, etc than just straight up jail.  Regular jail should only be for those that can't seem to get the message to clean up or refuse to take advantage of the resources provided.

I see what you are saying, but consider the ramifications.  With limited resources, should police spend time on panhandlers or thieves and murderers?  How much time does one get for panhandling and loitering? Now JMO, but people who wind up homeless are not awash in social skills.  There are some who want to work, and don't know how to find another one as they fall deeper into disrepair.  I think it takes a lot of intervention to get them to a point where they can fend for themselves again. I think those in the worst condition are like babies.  A baby laying in a filthy diaper can wail and be miserable and want change, but they are incapable of any change without help.  Money and time need to be sunk into any solution.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Edumakated said:

That's what I am saying.  We have to aggressively prosecute the petty crime, panhandling, loitering, etc that is typical with the homeless. 

So you're saying we should take them out of the dirty, wet, miserable camps and put them in nice warm, clean jail cells?

Doug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, aquatus1 said:

That's what the whole "Defund the Police" movement is about.  Creating a system that deals with the social issues, thus freeing up police to focus on the criminal ones.  The problem is that politicians usually just end up giving lip service to the social issues, effectively just piling more criminal regulations on the police without the support.

Additionally fund those efforts is a much better idea. I’ve seen what defunding the police looks like. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/5/2024 at 2:50 PM, Tatetopa said:

If somebody is going to shoot up and pass out, they should have the decency to do it out of sight, not on the street corner or in front  of their tent.


Exactly, Tat.

Once society has to come in to do a "save" with Narcan or hospitalization, they've gone too far. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.