Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Knocking sound at point of falling asleep

earthchick

This happens to me so bad I now use earplugs at night. It happens right as I'm falling to sleep. Some nights It would do this 3 to 4 times! I've also had someone touch me as I'm almost asleep! Sometimes it feels like its under the covers touching my feet, or my shoulder.

did earplugs help? if so rules out hypnogogic hallucinations and points to a real world knocking coming from somewhere if u can work out where u can find the problem

as for the touching hypnogogia still fits

It helped me with the earplugs. Its been over a year and i haven't heard it. Except for once in a while i will hear a doorbell or a phone but I think thats just normal stuff with me being between sleep and awake. The touching thing freaks me out! Most of the time I'm facing my husband so I't's not him. We close our bedroom door at night so it's not the cats. It's not a quick touch either that you can mistake it from being something such as your blanket or whatever. I feel fingers when touched. Oh yeah, I don't know if this is related but my son has a drum set in his room. At night we hear someone hit the drum, we go in there and he's asleep. You can hear it all through the house but he doesn't wake up! We had friends stay the night and they slept in his room. We heard the drums that night but they never heard it! I can't figure out what's going on!

I have this too but i hear lot's of dogs barking then my jaw clamps shut and I wake up. I believe it to be a hypnagogic jerk/state...

I assumed that is what's going on with me. But i can't figure out about me being touched or the case where everyone in the house is hearing the drums at night except whoever is sleeping in that room??

• 4 years later...

Hello everyone, i have been having this knockng problem since i moved to my current property 4 years ago, i told a family member, since i am from Brazil they are familiar with it andbtold me to Never Respond! They think its some type of demon trying to be invited in by your response. I have been woken up only to see a tall slim male figure in a tall hat attempt to come near me but gets stopped somehow before it reaches me. Something is trying to make contact with us people and i never welcome nor invite, be careful all..

Something happens to me in the same way, except it's a crashing noise. It startles me, so I wake up But, I've noticed it's in those times where I'm extremely tired when I do this.

this sounds like 'exploding head syndrome', a recognised phenomenon that usually occurs just as you are falling asleep. The sounds can vary from a loud crash, bang, pop or explosion. Apparently it is to do with the brain getting a bit out of synch as sleep overtakes you. I have experienced it a few times in my life and it always wakes me right up with my heart thumping from the shock of it. Harmless though.

• Like 1

this sounds like 'exploding head syndrome', a recognised phenomenon that usually occurs just as you are falling asleep. The sounds can vary from a loud crash, bang, pop or explosion. Apparently it is to do with the brain getting a bit out of synch as sleep overtakes you. I have experienced it a few times in my life and it always wakes me right up with my heart thumping from the shock of it. Harmless though.

That's what exploding head syndrome is?

Learn something new everyday.

i don't recall any instances of knocking, but one night i was awakend

by a sound i could only describe as someone punching through a thick sheet of aluminum foil.

It was such a weird sound.

There's been a whole host of other sounds.

Laughing, talking, phone ringing, footsteps, the window blinds being raised... Yada, yada.

Edited by Misanthropic

• 1 year later...
On 4/3/2005 at 7:51 PM, earthchick said:

For many years now I've been experiencing this. I don't know if it means anything or not, but I am curious about it. It happens at least once a week, often more. I'll be just at that point where I am deliciously drifting off to sleep when I hear a knocking, always 3 raps, that sounds exactly like someone knocking on a wooden door. It seems to be right beside my ear. When it happens I come instantly fully awake again. Has anyone ever heard of this sort of thing? Could it be some sort of sleep/waking thing in the realm of sleepwalking? It doesn't frighten me or anything, just makes me curious.

I am so glad I saw this!! I hear it too, always 3 times....I mean I HEAR it. That's why I went to google finally and found your posting.  I hope it's not a evil spirit or anything dangerous. Anyways, weird, huh???

• 9 months later...

Well this seems like a thread that refuses to die and for good reason. Despite the fact the human brain is the one place where everything that makes you, you, it is the one place that we really don't understand in human biology. It's function is miraculous. So we know what these "3 knocks" are, we know what the loud crash is, some of you may have even heard the less common pots and pans in your kitchen being knocked over.... and if like me then the first few times running down stairs ready to kick some serious butt but knowing that this is really going to hurt. But nothing is there. The kitchen is spotless. The back door still locked. Suddenly the room gets very cold. And then the humiliation when somebody says from the floor above "babe, is everything alright?" 

For the record, I personally call this the 'b****** Brain' syndrome after discovering a meme of the very same name. Now that there is a collection of pictures that will make you laugh and realise the biggest prick you know is your own brain and the way it treats you. I literally had the three knocks about 15 minutes ago and it is not the exact sensation I get often, but the two I get on a monthly basis is the exploding head syndrome and the total PITA known as.... Sleep Paralysis, that second one deserves its own thread and possibly an entry straight to the top of the greatest horror movie list.  

So here in this thread people are correctly correlating these strange auditory experiences to a specific sleep pattern but why is this happen? What does the brain achieve by giving you an auditory cue to halt the sleeping process and wake up when there is no experience or sense of any real danger in your environment? The brain is miraculous, you as a person won't tell but I can guarantee your brain has built in mechanisms that have evolved over billions of years ago to distinguish an imaginary threat to a real one. Case in point, when your brain senses via sound or sight a bear is charging you those legs start moving... when you dream it those legs are paralysed for good reason. So why then does your brain make the three knocks seem real enough to wake you when it knows subconsciously its the result of something imaginary?

Simple answer. It's resetting you. Like a glitchy computer session you cut the power and start it right back up in good working order. 

When you need to fall asleep the brain must successfully coordinate the changing state of thousands of regions across not just itself but your entire body. It must lower your temperature by 2 degrees C, completely shut down the area of your brain that allows you to breath manually (PS. you are now breathing manually), it must start injecting a chemical into your blood stream that mimics the effect of extreme muscle atrophy, trillions upon trillions upon trillions of neural connections must stop and be replaced by trillions upon trillions upon trillions of new neural connections. The sheer number is mindblowing, and you need to appreciate that a lot could go wrong. Going to sleep is in a biological sense no mean feat, the complexity of change is beyond the processing power of all computers ever created and amassed together and for the record we make over a billion computers every year since smart phones became a thing.

Now I said earlier the brain can tell the difference between a real danger whilst asleep and an illusionary one, it uses this to it's advantage. Something has not gone down in the right order, it might be your temperature is lowering too slowly. It might be the chemical cocktail paralysing you didn't initiate. It could be any one of the tiny conscious state cortex's is refusing to pipe the hell down... it is still firing off electrical signals like a bat out of hell. So your brain creates the illusionary auditory signal, this comes from the cortical region not of dreams but you own inner voice. You trust your own inner voice, or more accurately the region of the brain that creates it. An unconscious region, lets call it the sleep hypervisor for simplicity, has instructed the inner voice region to disengage from sleep and fire all its neurons, these spread the electrical signal out into all areas of your brain. It happens so quickly that conscious regions are fired back up before the inner voice region has finished its auditory sensation and the brain is hardwired through evolution to know this is going to trick you into thinking that... sound... really... happened.  

Of course it doesn't always manifest as an auditory cue and even I have experienced the visual cue and physical sensation. I have always found the auditory and visual sensations to be far more vivid though and considering the portion of brain that processes these are bigger than the region for physical touch that may well explain it. The fact you hear three knocks or pots and pans falling is learned experience when you were awake. The sleep hypervisor and inner voice region are well aware of what past experiences make you either jump into action or even just turn your head. 

That whole thing about the neurons, trillions of them, it cant be hard to imagine a small "glitch" in the shut down process can and does naturally happen. There are more connections between your neurons than there are total atoms in the whole of the universe and that is a known scientific fact. As much as I hate the initial shock of the exploding head syndrome I give my brain credit that it has a lot of work to do in the four seconds it takes to transition from light consciousness to light sleep. The thing I do love about the whole experience though is the build up... there are people in a room talking, a high pitched noise getting slowly louder, suddenly I am vivid, I can feel my face is resting on the pillow, I can feel my body temperature is rising, I can think even if everything is foggy and suddenly I am aware any second now... "BANG!" That b****** brain needs me try again. 

So, has anyone seen the dark silhouette of the kid with red eyes at the foot of your bed yet? Ooooh its only happened once and that one is fun! The mans face coming closer to yours is an adrenaline rush too!

• 4 months later...

It's brainwashed pipo who make that knocking sound at night... they don't want you to sleep so that they can keep stealing Energy from you. they can't do that when you are asleep. you need to be awake (thinking) in order for them ''to dwel in you''. i am talking about experience. i know the truth hurt but it remain the truth. sory for my poor english.

These pipo can feel what you feel, see what you see etc...(in short they are connected to your brain). This is meant to be very secret, that's why nobody talks about it.  this is no longer a secret for me...

On 1/3/2018 at 7:07 PM, gecko-aimable said:

It's brainwashed pipo who make that knocking sound at night... they don't want you to sleep so that they can keep stealing Energy from you. they can't do that when you are asleep. you need to be awake (thinking) in order for them ''to dwel in you''. i am talking about experience. i know the truth hurt but it remain the truth. sory for my poor english.

These pipo can feel what you feel, see what you see etc...(in short they are connected to your brain). This is meant to be very secret, that's why nobody talks about it.  this is no longer a secret for me...

What's a pipo?

16 hours ago, ProjectVRD said:

That was the short laymans explaination lol

I never claimed to be an academic 

What gets me is when I think I hear the phone ringing at 3 am. I need to turn the t.v. off at night. Another thing is annoying is every monday the garbage truck goes down the alley and make a racket. I does sound like knocking at my door. 

this has probably already been said before but isn't that called exploding head syndrome?

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:56 PM, ChaosRose said:

What's a pipo?

THAT'S The question you came away from that post with ? :lol:

22 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

THAT'S The question you came away from that post with ? :lol:

It was a critical piece of information.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Three knocks:  (Like it is very important you hear them!)  It happens in various places just as I'm about to slip down into sleep, it always wakes me up, if it is paranormal it should find a better way to communicate because it IS annoying. The worst part is, where I live one can't hear the front door being knocked on, so friends may actually come to my window and tap, not knock, but it works the same if I'm sleeping.