Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cornel West 2024

OverSword

A friend told me he plans on voting for Cornel West so I went to his campaign website to see what he's about.  Here are a few bullet points from his platform

• Abolish poverty 
    • Abolish homelessness
    • Establish federal public banking institutions to fund public infrastructure and green reconstruction
    • Establish a federal Universal Basic Income commission
    • Wealth tax on all billionaire holdings and transactions
    • End all tax loopholes for the oligarchy
    • National $27 minimum wage with special considerations for specific geographies where $27/hour would not be a family-sustaining wage
    • Mandatory minimum of six months of fully paid parental leave 

Click the Link to see the rest.    Thoughts?

• Like 2

I'll pass.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

A friend told me he plans on voting for Cornel West so I went to his campaign website to see what he's about.  Here are a few bullet points from his platform

•  

$27 minimum wage might be appropriate in a few years, but it's too high just now, at least, based on national averages.  Don't know what the cost of living is in his area, thoguh.

Ending all tax loopholes for the oligarchy is going to be easier said than done.  There are an awful lot of them and some actually accomplish social benefits.

The basic income idea is good, considering how machines have taken over most unskilled jobs.  But there's a better idea:  fund that minimum income with a fee on carbon charged at the mine mouth, well head or port-of-entry.  Proceeds are then divided equally among all citizens and legal residents.  Basically, we'd be selling businesses the right to pollute the air, so it's not welfare, but a simple business transaction.

Doug

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

$27 minimum wage might be appropriate in a few years, but it's too high just now, at least, based on national averages.  Don't know what the cost of living is in his area, thoguh.

Ending all tax loopholes for the oligarchy is going to be easier said than done.  There are an awful lot of them and some actually accomplish social benefits.

The basic income idea is good, considering how machines have taken over most unskilled jobs.  But there's a better idea:  fund that minimum income with a fee on carbon charged at the mine mouth, well head or port-of-entry.  Proceeds are then divided equally among all citizens and legal residents.  Basically, we'd be selling businesses the right to pollute the air, so it's not welfare, but a simple business transaction.

Doug

Too many items on his agenda that are just undoable or simply a bad idea.  There are also some really good ones that I think most Americans would back that our corrupt congress would never allow to get off the ground.

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Too many items on his agenda that are just undoable or simply a bad idea.  There are also some really good ones that I think most Americans would back that our corrupt congress would never allow to get off the ground.

I didn't read the entire list.  I only commented on those that hit me hardest.

Doug

i like that he's running and i agree with him on a lot of the problems he points out. but i don't agree with most of his solutions.

All good ideas and things we seriously need to consider in some form or another but they'll never happen. This country thinks Bernie Sanders is too extreme....

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

I didn't read the entire list.  I only commented on those that hit me hardest.

Doug

You should read the list.  

He needs to trim that platform down drastically to make it more realistic and to make it more widely appealing.  Otherwise his candidacy is really kind of a joke.  Why waste money running if you're determined to primarily appeal to more radical leftists.

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

You should read the list.  

He needs to trim that platform down drastically to make it more realistic and to make it more widely appealing.  Otherwise his candidacy is really kind of a joke.  Why waste money running if you're determined to primarily appeal to more radical leftists.

Agreed.  Most people can't consider two things at once, let alone a dozen.

BUT:  there are more of us leftists out there than you may think.

Doug

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

Agreed.  Most people can't consider two things at once, let alone a dozen.

BUT:  there are more of us leftists out there than you may think.

Doug

I didn't say left I said more radical leftists.  Radicals are usually a minority.

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

I didn't say left I said more radical leftists.  Radicals are usually a minority.

I stand corrected.

Doug

Dude wants Star Trek, but fails to realise reality is Warhammer 40K.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, OverSword said:

•  

He's nothing more than your standard Marxist. Implement half of what he wants and we'll be as impoverished as Cuba.

And as is quite predictable, West the Leftie would rather give the poor a raise in the minimum as opposed to stop taxing the poor. 
All making the minimum $27/Hour will do is - eventually, put us all in a higher tax bracket. But the poor will be poorer, due to mega inflation

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
to add