Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

4.8 magnitude earthquake strikes New Jersey, shaking buildings

docyabut2

ABC World News Tonight just said we're warned to be alert to the possibility of aftershocks which they did say on Philadelphia news. They said the 6:01 shock was felt in NYC. I had a really early start this morning and I fell asleep watching the news about 5:00 and just woke up after 6. Maybe that's what woke me up. I don't know. It was a 4.0 so maybe some fairly strong aftershocks will still happen tonight.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

God is mad at us for our unlawfulness going on in our country :ph34r:

No.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, docyabut2 said:

Trump is going to save all of us and bring in the rule of law :) 

Docy, earthquakes and eclipses happen. Always have. No one is being punished. It's terrible that any politician would even try and use this like that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

14 states felt the earthquake :(

That isn't unusual. I remember one that happened in Virginia and that was felt up and down the east coast too. I think they said in 2013 but I'm not sure. I was at work and we felt just a few seconds of shaking. We were much further from that epicenter than this one today. I'm only 40 miles from where this struck.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

The world won't end. There was barely any damage at all. Everyone is fine and no one is afraid. The eclipse won't end it either. Politicians should be held responsible for the things they say. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The worst earthquake to hit New York City occurred in 1884. Its estimated magnitude of 5.4 and its epicenter was between Brooklyn and Sandy Hook, N.J.

Posted (edited)

The worst earthquake to hit New York City occurred in 1884. Its estimated magnitude of 5.4 and its epicenter was between Brooklyn and Sandy Hook, N.J.

Yep. That was 1884. There was a huge on in Missouri in the 1800's that changed the course of the Mississippi River. They do happen here on occasion. Don't get yourself all worked up. It isn't necessary.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

That's still 1884. None of us were even born then. No one was injured today and some people close to the epicenter had pictures and knick knacks that fell and broke. There's nothing to be this concerned about.

Docy, they happen on occasion. It isn't Trump or that Senator from Georgia doing this. What she said is totally irresponsible.

Calm down. We're alright.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The strongest earthquake to impact New Jersey occurred on Nov. 30, 1783, west of NYC, according to NJ OEM. The 5.3-magnitude, intensity VII quake was felt from New Hampshire to Pennsylvania and also knocked down chimneys, the agency said.

• Like 1

I'm done.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, susieice said:

That isn't unusual. I remember one that happened in Virginia and that was felt up and down the east coast too. I think they said in 2013 but I'm not sure. I was at work and we felt just a few seconds of shaking. We were much further from that epicenter than this one today. I'm only 40 miles from where this struck.

The rock type y'all have on the east coast tends to help transmit waves better. Older, colder, fewer faults. Energy doesn't attenuate as much.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Doc Socks Junior said:

The rock type y'all have on the east coast tends to help transmit waves better. Older, colder, fewer faults. Energy doesn't attenuate as much.

They were saying that on the news. That's why this was felt over such a large area. This one was also very shallow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, susieice said:

They were saying that on the news. That's why this was felt over such a large area. This one was also very shallow. 

Shoot, I'm not providing enough value added. Uh, lots of the rocks are hundreds of millions of years old, specifically!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Doc Socks Junior said:

Shoot, I'm not providing enough value added. Uh, lots of the rocks are hundreds of millions of years old, specifically!

I found this article about east coast earthquakes. It was 2011 when the quake hit Virginia. We had only seconds of a slight shake when that happened. I was at work at the time and I felt it. Some did some didn't. It's saying pretty much what you said. All kinds of articles are coming online now.

East Coast earthquakes aren’t common. Here’s what to know | PBS NewsHour

New York experiences rare 4.8 magnitude earthquake felt along East Coast - CSMonitor.com

Edited by susieice
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I glad to hear it. I lived through a 7.8 in Washington, State in the 1990s now that was truly crazy!:yes:

I was in a 7 point something in Afghanistan.  We were in the TOC at the time.  Everyone else thought it was a helicopter landing, I was the only one that ran outside to get out of the concrete building.  They stopped laughing at me when they realized it was an earthquake.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

God is mad at us for our unlawfulness going on in our country :ph34r:

Maybe Jesus is mad at preachers who buy a second private jet or a $10 million dollar home instead of helping the poor.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Maybe Jesus is mad at preachers who buy a second private jet or a $10 million dollar home instead of helping the poor.

Or how he treats people. Especially the poor and people of other races that he doesn't seem to think are human beings.

Posted (edited)

Philly is saying the 6pm aftershock was a 3.8 and was felt there. I haven't seen anyone in my building but it's likely that it was also felt here. I was sleeping and woke up around 5 minutes after 6. Maybe that's why. The USGS said to expect aftershocks for a couple of days or weeks.

NJ earthquake aftershock: Earthquake in New Jersey felt in Philadelphia region; shaking reported from New York City to Washington - 6abc Philadelphia

There are an estimated 13,000 earthquakes in the 4.0 - 4.9 range worldwide every year, according to a chart from Penn State University.

It originated near the Ramapo Fault Line, which extends from near the Hudson River in southeastern New York to just south of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

I was in a 7 point something in Afghanistan.  We were in the TOC at the time.  Everyone else thought it was a helicopter landing, I was the only one that ran outside to get out of the concrete building.  They stopped laughing at me when they realized it was an earthquake.

I bet they stopped laughing a 7.0 earthquake is no joke at all. I was very lucky over the 10 1/2 years I worked in the Middle East as contractor after my military retirement there were no Earthquakes to my knowledge.  When that 7.8 in Washington state occurred, I was inspecting a unit on Ft. Lewis and at first there was a very loud noise that sounded like a freight train coming through the building. The floor was made up of concrete pads and the dam pads started shifting up and down.

I went to run out of the building and the shaking was dam hard it knocked me on my ass. All the vehicles outside were rocking from side to side, and the electrical grid throughout the area shut down, which it is designed to do. I can't even imagine what it felt like to people that were driving on the highway, I bet it literally scared the crap out them. We continued to have after shcks for approximately 2 days after the event. But we were really lucky, the epicenter was located in the middle of Puget Sound and the event occurred approximately 25 miles down. It would have totally destroyed Tacoma and Seattle Waashington if that quake was near the surface.

Haven't heard from you in a while, hope you're doing well!:tu:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

11:00 news just said there's been 19 aftershocks with the 3.8 at 6pm being the strongest. It was downgraded from 4.0. This will probably go on for a couple of days.

Edited by susieice

1 hour ago, susieice said:

11:00 news just said there's been 19 aftershocks with the 3.8 at 6pm being the strongest. It was downgraded from 4.0. This will probably go on for a couple of days.

Yep. Frequency will decrease, and they'll get smaller. The jargon for that is Bath's law (aftershocks get smaller), and Omori's law (frequency diminishes as the reciprocal of time after the main shock).

One can envision that aftershocks for large EQs last for quite a long time. Now, this one wasn't particularly large.

• Thanks 1

This is the fault line the earthquake occurred on. It starts in New York, goes across New Jersey and crosses into Pennsylvania just south of where I live and goes on to Harrisburg.

Ramapo Fault - Wikipedia

Where Are the Fault Lines in New Jersey? | You Don't Know Jersey | From ...

• Like 3