Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why does God play hide and seek with humanity?


pellinore

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The only thing we really have are individual and cultural based beliefs regarding God. Basically our ideas of what we think it should be. With that in mind nothing would be universally satisfactory.  This also touches on ignostism. 

Perhaps but any entity claiming to be God and capable of instantaneously swapping out our sun for Alpha Centauri A would be a damn good start IMO. 
 

cormac

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I am being serious whether you realize it or not that is how express yourself Will.

 

I'll say it again. I feel terrible that I have to hear grown men and women talk about things that are normally considered to be understood as something that's fundamental and basic, as being a riddle to them.

But like I said, it is cute that they do this.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Will Due said:

 

I'll say it again. I feel terrible that I have to hear grown men and women talk about things that are normally considered to be understood as something that's fundamental and basic, as being a riddle to them.

But like I said, it is cute that they do this.

 

 

There you go again Riddler, it has nothing to do with being fundamental basic, it is the context you put the comment in. Like above, what are you even trying say, maybe I am dense I don't know, but I don't even understand your point can you break it down for me??

  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

There you go again Riddler, it has nothing to do with being fundamental basic, it is the context you put the comment in. Like above, what are you even trying say, maybe I am dense I don't know, but I don't even understand your point can you break it down for me??

 

Have you ever suddenly realized something you never realized before?

Regarding God, I am pretty sure a lot of people have a moment like that where they suddenly realize that no, God is not hiding. He's been out in the open all along. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

May the Force be with you.

Thank you but it's with everyone.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, openozy said:

Thank you but it's with everyone.

 

See, another riddle :D (to the uninitiated).

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

 

See, another riddle :D (to the uninitiated).

 

 

If other people choose to think differently, that's ok as they have their own thoughts. Whether you believe god is some bearded, robed dude, just a fantasy or is not an entity but everything that is, it's all good. Nobody has the right to try to lead you off your chosen path, and they really can't anyway.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Will Due said:

 

Have you ever suddenly realized something you never realized before?

Regarding God, I am pretty sure a lot of people have a moment like that where they suddenly realize that no, God is not hiding. He's been out in the open all along. 

 

 

I was born and raised a Catholic Will, I was baptized and went to communion and throughout that time I never experienced God. That's why I walked away from Christianity, so if God real he must be hiding because I never had an awaking.

Now people like yourself talk about God's plan, well where does that come from. Did someone tell you; did you discover it in the bible, or did God directly communicate to you??

You see Will all my life I have never believed in anything I could not touch, smell or see. So, because a Priest says something that is not convincing enough to suit me. I have to feel it, and I never did so tell me how I can believe in a word (God)??

With Buddhism there is no one trying to convince you of anything. This form of spirituality makes each individual look within themselves for answers and accountable to themselves for solutions. That is why I have chosen the middle path, because I realize my happiness and destiny are in my own hands. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, openozy said:

If other people choose to think differently, that's ok as they have their own thoughts. Whether you believe god is some bearded, robed dude, just a fantasy or is not an entity but everything that is, it's all good. Nobody has the right to try to lead you off your chosen path, and they really can't anyway.

Openozy, I totally and the spirituality I have chosen to follow teaches this. :yes:

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I was born and raised a Catholic Will, I was baptized and went to communion and throughout that time I never experienced God. That's why I walked away from Christianity, so if God real he must be hiding because I never had an awaking.

Now people like yourself talk about God's plan, well where does that come from. Did someone tell you; did you discover it in the bible, or did God directly communicate to you??

You see Will all my life I have never believed in anything I could not touch, smell or see. So, because a Priest says something that is not convincing enough to suit me. I have to feel it, and I never did so tell me how I can believe in a word (God)??

With Buddhism there is no one trying to convince you of anything. This form of spirituality makes each individual look within themselves for answers and accountable to themselves for solutions. That is why I have chosen the middle path, because I realize my happiness and destiny are in my own hands. 

 

This is the point I've been trying to make. You said that when you were a young Catholic, you never experienced God. Alright, I accept what you say as being true (however from your perspective). 

But my question to you regarding whether or not God is hiding, is, are you sure that you weren't just unaware that you were experiencing God then? And that maybe this is still happening now? That you're actually experiencing God but you're just unaware of it and what you're experiencing?

That's what I meant when I asked the question if you've ever suddenly realized something you never realized before (which I'm pretty sure you have done like most of us have) and if that's the case, could it be possible that not realizing how you're experiencing God is just what's happening here?

 

 

Edited by Will Due
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Will Due said:

 

This is the point I've been trying to make. You said that when you were a young Catholic, you never experienced God. Alright, I accept what you say as being true (however from your perspective).

Do you know what a Christain awaking is???

8 minutes ago, Will Due said:

But my question to you regarding whether or not God is hiding, is, are you sure that you weren't just unaware that you were experiencing God then? And that maybe this is still happening now? That you're actually experiencing God but you're just unaware of it and how you're experiencing it?

I am certain I am not experiencing God, unless he is Buddha. So, no I am aware of what I am experiencing and I now fully except all responsibility for my actions and it doesn't require asking anyone except myself for forgiveness. 

8 minutes ago, Will Due said:

That's what I meant when I asked the question if you've ever suddenly realized something you never realized before (which I'm pretty sure you have like most of us have) and if that's the case, could it be possible that not realizing how you're experiencing God is just what's happening here?

I am sorry Will, but I have never had an epiphany that was related to anything religious. 

8 minutes ago, Will Due said:

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/6/2024 at 5:54 AM, pellinore said:

Please watch the YT video where it is stopped for a few minutes (the whole thing is quite long), where the question is asked: why doesn't God reveal himself to everyone? I think it is a very good question, and one I used to ask myself when I puzzled over the illogic and inconsistencies of religion.

 

would YOU want anything to do with us as a species? 
He already tried wiping us out (several times if you read the Torah) and yet we just kept on keeping on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Openozy, I totally and the spirituality I have chosen to follow teaches this. :yes:

I think my path is heading towards Buddhism Grim, I couldn't follow it before as I hunted animals but have given that up now, I don't know why because it was a big part of me. I was always humane but something has changed my views on it lately. I'm not against other folks hunting, but not for me now.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why do people talk to themselves, then get angry when there's no reply? God constructs don't care about your feelings.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

Perhaps but any entity claiming to be God and capable of instantaneously swapping out our sun for Alpha Centauri A would be a damn good start IMO. 
 

cormac

Not really. How many would assume it was aliens that did it? 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/5/2024 at 9:54 PM, pellinore said:

Please watch the YT video where it is stopped for a few minutes (the whole thing is quite long), where the question is asked: why doesn't God reveal himself to everyone? I think it is a very good question, and one I used to ask myself when I puzzled over the illogic and inconsistencies of religion.

I don't need to watch the video. I already know the answer, it is very simple: "Because God doesn't exist".

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, fred_mc said:

it is very simple: "Because God doesn't exist".

Can you prove that though?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, openozy said:

I think my path is heading towards Buddhism Grim, I couldn't follow it before as I hunted animals but have given that up now, I don't know why because it was a big part of me. I was always humane but something has changed my views on it lately. I'm not against other folks hunting, but not for me now.

 Buddhists hunt. Look at the Mongolians and Japanese. 

  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Assuming Earth is the only planet orbiting the only star in our entire Galaxy on which advanced life has evolved (let that sink in for a moment). 

And assuming the number of planets on which advanced life has evolved is the same in every other Galaxy..... 

That means there are tens of billions of planets with advanced life similar to humans in the known universe. 

So why would God single out just this totally insignificant one?   To God we are like a single stalk of wheat to a farmer who has hundreds of  thousands of acres of wheat growing. 

God's interest in humans (let alone one single tribe of humans in one tiny little part of the planet) is just our way of coping with the Total Perspective Vortex.   

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Piney said:

 Buddhists hunt. Look at the Mongolians and Japanese. 

I don't know much about Buddhism but that's good to know because I'm still out most nights around the sheds ratting with the Russells. Maybe I want to be part of something, I don't know I might stick with my own spiritual stuff.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I think that there would be zero satisfactory display of 'god like power' that would appeal to everyone. Plus with all the religions and beliefs systems, there would be a war of who's god it was. If god turns out to be some kind of cosmic horror, then what? I think the question of god is basically about why we are the way we are. Forced in to this reality with awareness. Conscious beings who do not know why we are. Meh, probably over thinking it. 

I don't think one can really over think that subject.  It's kind of a mind boggling subject and many I think are inclined not to  think about it because they already believe they cannot figure it out so they don't even try.  Unanswerable questions just lead to more unanswerable questions and it creates tensions and stress in their belief system.  Or they believe it's evil to even think about. 

I've been thinking about it most of my life and my thoughts all lead to that same place...basically an internal 'not knowing' why we are here.  Looking for answers that cannot be found.  So...God.  If there was a God that had the powers to actually create star systems out of nothing...we would know it.   And if there actually was an entity that demonstrated that kind of  power in a dramatic way so that every person on Earth knew it was true...everyone would worship this God.  But there is no such demonstration.  Only religion tells us about the amazing power's of this Entity...and so it has evolved into...My God is better than your God...my God is better than yours!  My God is  bigger and my God chose me to Rule over YOU...my God is better than yours...and to demonstrate His power by killing all of you who do not bow and worship my God because my God who is better than yours and He told me to tell you to worship Him or die.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Can you prove that though?

As far as the Biblical God goes...I think we already have.  It's not that we set out to disprove anything (one cannot prove a negative) but through scientific understanding we know the Creation story is completely false.  We know the Miracles of Jesus are completely false.  We know that logically none of it makes sense, and we know at the same time that any Entity with the knowledge and power of God would already know how illogical that was.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Essan said:

That means there are tens of billions of planets with advanced life similar to humans in the known universe. 

In math it might mean that.  But in reality, the simple math doesn't work very well.  Because there is the combination of materials the planet has to have...in just the right proximity of distance from the host star.  And then that doesn't mean life would even develop at all.  We don't really know that life came about on Earth spontaneously.  It's possible that it could have arrived on an asteroid.  Assuming that it did, that complicates the math tremendously because how does one calculate how many asteroids with life on them there are and how far they traveled and how many planets in the various star systems they would have had contact with such an asteroid.

And even the one asteroid, that we know killed all the dinosaurs and allowed for the evolution of mammals and eventually mankind has to be put into that equation somewhere.  

So...it seems like there might be billions of planets with life.  What the math really tells us...all...the math can really tell us is that the probability of billions of other planets exists.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Piney said:

 Buddhists hunt. Look at the Mongolians and Japanese. 

 Man evolved into hunters...and gatherers.  Civilization has evolved into a 'feed the world for profit' corporate monopoly, that gives the public virtually unlimited access to all kinds of produce and meats.

What this has actually done is destroy the hunter/gatherer civilization.  Of the approximately 8 billion people on Earth, how many could successfully hunt/gather and survive.  We have been hunter/gatherers from the beginning...and the big lie is that we don't need those skills anymore.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Essan said:

God's interest in humans (let alone one single tribe of humans in one tiny little part of the planet) is just our way of coping with the Total Perspective Vortex.   

I went totally beyond Zaphod with that thing. Then it killed itself.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.