Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why does God play hide and seek with humanity?

pellinore

10 hours ago, Will Due said:

I'll say it again. I feel terrible that I have to hear grown men and women talk about things that are normally considered to be understood as something that's fundamental and basic, as being a riddle to them.

But like I said, it is cute that they do this.

Sam Harris has this to say. Of course, he is a thinker, not a blind accepter:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, pellinore said:

He went up against William Lane Craig. That's a tough battle but Craig sneaks in distortions and lies. You just have to catch him. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Will Due said:

Have you ever suddenly realized something you never realized before?

Regarding God, I am pretty sure a lot of people have a moment like that where they suddenly realize that no, God is not hiding. He's been out in the open all along. 

Will, the  essence of spiritual growth lies in embracing a compassionate and firm stance against the judgment of others. It is vital  for you to recognize the value in shifting your perspective towards a more inclusive and open-minded approach to spirituality. This shift involves acknowledging that all paths and beliefs, regardless of their origin in religion or personal ideology, or lack of religion offer unique insights and meaningful experiences too. There isn’t just one way. 

By cultivating the ability to empathize and adopt different perspectives, you pave the way for a more tolerant and interconnected view of spirituality. I know it’s a big ask for you  to understand that no single path holds superiority or should be used as a tool for judgment. Will,  rather  than trying  to preach or proselytize, why not try honoring and respecting the myriad of diverse journeys towards understanding the mysteries of life.

Judgment and the need for control are where you are right now in your understanding. We get that this stems from a place of you needing to be right for reasons that serve you and are only about you. I don’t think it is the worst thing for you to include fostering genuine understanding and connection with the other poster’s too. 

Riddle me this Will. 

I am small yet mighty, never seeking the spotlight,
In silent strength and modesty, I shine with gentle light.
What am I?

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Because he doesn't want to interfere with the natural behaviour of the animals?

9 hours ago, Essan said:

Assuming Earth is the only planet orbiting the only star in our entire Galaxy on which advanced life has evolved (let that sink in for a moment). 

And assuming the number of planets on which advanced life has evolved is the same in every other Galaxy..... 

That means there are tens of billions of planets with advanced life similar to humans in the known universe. 

So why would God single out just this totally insignificant one?   To God we are like a single stalk of wheat to a farmer who has hundreds of  thousands of acres of wheat growing. 

God's interest in humans (let alone one single tribe of humans in one tiny little part of the planet) is just our way of coping with the Total Perspective Vortex.   

I've found myself in some weird corners of the Internet lately, and one very weird corner is the Christian Cosmology section, wherein the ONLY planet is Earth, everything else except the sun and moon are angels orbiting the plane Earth (some very rarely accept the spheroid Earth). 

• Haha 3

"The best course of action would be for me to interact with all of them directly." Wondering if when he says 'directly,' does he mean for God to part the heavens asunder and come down to speak with each person face to face? 😄 

In the Bible, both Cain and Able were given the same instructions. The same opportunity. One received the blessings and favor, the other didn't. What was the difference? My analysis - One obeyed and the other didn't. One believed and the other didn't. One followed the instructions and the other presented his own ideas. God reveals Himself to whoever follows Him. If you find that you don't know God, examine yourself. You're not following God. The devil goes to church too, can quote the Bible better than anybody, even shows up as "an angel of light."

Man in the video said even if God showed up and revealed Himself to him, it basically wouldn't make much difference. Why? In a nutshell.... He thinks he's more righteous, pure and holier than God 😄 

8 hours ago, pellinore said:

Can't stand listening to this aahhh 😄 everything he says is wrong everything! If you're going to condemn the God of the Bible at least try to understand what the Bible teaches and also what it says about God. No one goes to hell because they prayed to the wrong god. People only are punished for what they do wrong and the wrong they do don't just corrupt them but it corrupts those around them. They are affected as well. They can get dragged into the mess. 

• Haha 2

Just now, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

People only are punished for what they do wrong

The things they do that they know is wrong. 

59 minutes ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

The things they do that they know is wrong. 

Wrong. Moses allegedly ascended the mountain to come back with God’s Commandments. Among those was the Commandment “Thou Shall Not Murder”. For the Hebrews to acquire what was to become Israel God commands them to murder every man, woman and child living in their soon to be new land. Their God told them murder was wrong but to do it anyway making their God a hypocrite, and they DID NOT get punished for it. Try again. 

cormac

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cormac mac airt said:

For the Hebrews to acquire what was to become Israel God commands them to murder every man, woman and child living in their soon to be new land. Their God told them murder was wrong but to do it anyway making their God a hypocrite, and they DID NOT get punished for it. Try again. 

cormac

So, what do you call those who are appointed to execute the judgments sanctioned by a Judge? Particularly the death sentence? Murders? No. They did not murder. The judgment was death. They were only carrying out the orders of a judge and are blameless. 

11 minutes ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

So, what do you call those who are appointed to execute the judgments sanctioned by a Judge? Particularly the death sentence? Murders? No. They did not murder. The judgment was death. They were only carrying out the orders of a judge and are blameless. 

If the judge is a hypocrite and His followers accede to His hypocrisy then they too are hypocrites IMO. 

cormac

• Like 2

Yes, murder: 

mur·der

the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

The biblical God’s Commandment “Thou Shall Not Murder” WAS.THE.LAW. Commanding the Hebrews to murder was a violation of the law God Himself made. Again, He’s a hypocrite. 

cormac

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Yes, murder: 

The biblical God’s Commandment “Thou Shall Not Murder” WAS.THE.LAW. Commanding the Hebrews to murder was a violation of the law God Himself made. Again, He’s a hypocrite. 

cormac

No. You are the hypocrite. 

You know damn well that God never commanded anyone to murder and that instead murderous men took it upon themselves to write it down that way for what amounts to certain blasphemous reasons. 

GROW UP I'm really getting tired of your BS.

Just now, Will Due said:

You know damn well that God never commanded anyone to murder and that instead murderous men took it upon themselves to write it down that way for what amounts to certain blasphemous reasons. 

Read the Bible and stop pretending what you want to be true “is” the truth. 

cormac

• Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Take a step back Riddler and relax, then Riddle Me This what is the page and paragraph of the topic above in the New Testament??

• Like 2

does God really play hide and seek or does humanity tend to get distracted and.... SQUIRREL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

"The best course of action would be for me to interact with all of them directly." Wondering if when he says 'directly,' does he mean for God to part the heavens asunder and come down to speak with each person face to face? 😄 

In the Bible, both Cain and Able were given the same instructions. The same opportunity. One received the blessings and favor, the other didn't. What was the difference? My analysis - One obeyed and the other didn't. One believed and the other didn't. One followed the instructions and the other presented his own ideas. God reveals Himself to whoever follows Him. If you find that you don't know God, examine yourself. You're not following God. The devil goes to church too, can quote the Bible better than anybody, even shows up as "an angel of light."

Man in the video said even if God showed up and revealed Himself to him, it basically wouldn't make much difference. Why? In a nutshell.... He thinks he's more righteous, pure and holier than God 😄 

Umm ... they weren't given the same instructions - Abel was told to tend the cattle and Cain to till the fields. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

10 hours ago, Will Due said:

How do you know this?  Since someone should 'damn well' know this I assume you have some obvious evidence?

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

How do you know this?  Since someone should 'damn well' know this I assume you have some obvious evidence?

The obvious evidence is that man is often corrupt and self-serving and during the times when the Bible was written, a lot of these men attributed their own personal evil acts to God. 

Do you mean to tell me that isn't obvious to you?

On 4/7/2024 at 1:40 PM, XenoFish said:

Can you prove that though?

Isn't it the opposite, that if you claim that something exists, the burden of proof lies on you? Seems quite weird to based on no scientific evidence claim that something exists and then demand proof for its non-existence.

26 minutes ago, fred_mc said:

Isn't it the opposite, that if you claim that something exists, the burden of proof lies on you? Seems quite weird to based on no scientific evidence claim that something exists and then demand proof for its non-existence.

You're claiming something doesn't exist. It's the same problem both ways. No one can prove or disprove it. 

• Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, fred_mc said:

Apart from what @XenoFish just mentioned, correctly, your claim was that you knew (and didn't need to listen to relevant arguments because you knew).

I don't need to watch the video. I already know the answer, it is very simple: "Because God doesn't exist".

It's perfectly reasonable to ask somebody who claims to know something for proof of what they say they know.

• Thanks 5

23 hours ago, Will Due said:

The obvious evidence is that man is often corrupt and self-serving and during the times when the Bible was written, a lot of these men attributed their own personal evil acts to God. 

Do you mean to tell me that isn't obvious to you?

For once I agree with you!

Those who wrote the Bible wanted their God to justify their actions.     That's one of the main modern purposes of God (now we've largely moved on from the explanation for the unexplainable rationale).    Not much point inventing a God who teaches pacifism and to love thy neighbour if you're embarking on a genocidal invasion of another tribe's territory, is there!     

• Like 4

7 hours ago, XenoFish said:

You're claiming something doesn't exist. It's the same problem both ways. No one can prove or disprove it. 

That's a bit of a stupid claim, that is like saying that pink elephants exist unless you can disprove it. If you claim that something exist, the burden of proof is on you.

7 hours ago, eight bits said:

Apart from what @XenoFish just mentioned, correctly, your claim was that you knew (and didn't need to listen to relevant arguments because you knew).

It's perfectly reasonable to ask somebody who claims to know something for proof of what they say they know.

Well, science has come so far now so we can at least say that there is no need to introduce a God to explain how things are working. It was different in old times when we didn't know so much.