Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why does God play hide and seek with humanity?

pellinore

11 minutes ago, fred_mc said:

That's a bit of a stupid claim, that is like saying that pink elephants exist unless you can disprove it. If you claim that something exist, the burden of proof is on you.

Behold, a pink elephant.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQi_r4vzmZAyLVq2_EKPng

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/5/2024 at 3:19 PM, XenoFish said:

Do you really want an entire planet of evolved schizophrenic primates? 

Great question.

On 4/5/2024 at 2:20 PM, Will Due said:

Have you ever suddenly realized something you never noticed before about something that was more or less staring you in the face for a greater portion of your life? If not your whole life?

Was that thing suddenly realized hiding from you?

No, not for my whole life, but last week, while repairing a toilet, I had to go to the hardware store to get some parts.  Specifically, what I needed was a new water line connecting the toilet to the source.  I had the old line in my hand, and I just wanted an identical replacement.  I walked up and down the aisle where the part I needed was three times.  I could not find it.  I checked the next isle on either side…couldn’t find it.  Finally asked for help.  The store person walked me right to where I had been standing for minutes looking for the part I needed, and I discovered it was right in front of me the entire time.  So yes, I get that point.

• Like 5

In essence god (all of them) are very real in the abstract. Existing as ideas and concepts, with various textual description of their character. These ideas are very real in the minds of believers. None of us can prove someone believers or even disbelieves such a thing. There is also no objective means of quantifying the existence or non-existence of god/s either. With the main take away being how absurd all of this really is. 

An atheist like the theist has nothing really to prove. Most animosity towards religion is due to have some believers act. Not with god, because all we have are our ideas of god. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

In essence god (all of them) are very real in the abstract. Existing as ideas and concepts, with various textual description of their character. These ideas are very real in the minds of believers. None of us can prove someone believers or even disbelieves such a thing. There is also no objective means of quantifying the existence or non-existence of god/s either. With the main take away being how absurd all of this really is. 

An atheist like the theist has nothing really to prove. Most animosity towards religion is due to have some believers act. Not with god, because all we have are our ideas of god. 

Absolutely correct.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 4/7/2024 at 6:16 PM, Piney said:

He went up against William Lane Craig. That's a tough battle but Craig sneaks in distortions and lies. You just have to catch him. 

I've just found this on Wikipedia: 

In 2021 Academic Influence website ranked Craig the nineteenth most influential philosopher in the world over the previous three decades (1990-2020) and the world's fourth most influential theologian over the same period.[132][133]

In 2009, New Atheist Christopher Hitchens had an interview before his debate with Craig in that same year. During that interview, Hitchens said: "I can tell you that my brothers and sisters and co-thinkers in the unbelieving community take him [Craig] very seriously. He's [Craig] thought of as a very tough guy. Very rigorous, very scholarly, very formidable. And I would...I say that without reserve. I don't say it because I'm here. Normally I don't get people saying: 'Good luck tonight' and 'don't let us down,' you know. But with him [Craig] I do."[134]

In 2011, with respect and compliment to his debating skills, New Atheist Sam Harris once described Craig as "the one Christian Apologist who seems to have put the fear of God into many of my fellow atheists".[5][135]

If Sam Harris says he's tough, he is tough.

In my own simplistic way, I can look at the world and nature: all the forests, animals and geology, and think "surely all this can't have just happened, someone must have designed it". 

And then I can see all the cruelty, not just human, but animals devouring each other alive, and then I think "and he must have been a psychopath".

Edited by pellinore
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, pellinore said:

animals devouring each other alive

EFPxY1lWsAAmzZA.jpg

Edited by Will Due

11 minutes ago, pellinore said:

I've just found this on Wikipedia: 

In 2021 Academic Influence website ranked Craig the nineteenth most influential philosopher in the world over the previous three decades (1990-2020) and the world's fourth most influential theologian over the same period.[132][133]

In 2009, New Atheist Christopher Hitchens had an interview before his debate with Craig in that same year. During that interview, Hitchens said: "I can tell you that my brothers and sisters and co-thinkers in the unbelieving community take him [Craig] very seriously. He's [Craig] thought of as a very tough guy. Very rigorous, very scholarly, very formidable. And I would...I say that without reserve. I don't say it because I'm here. Normally I don't get people saying: 'Good luck tonight' and 'don't let us down,' you know. But with him [Craig] I do."[134]

In 2011, with respect and compliment to his debating skills, New Atheist Sam Harris once described Craig as "the one Christian Apologist who seems to have put the fear of God into many of my fellow atheists".[5][135]

If Sam Harris says he's tough, he is tough.

In my own simplistic way, I can look at the world and nature: all the forests, animals and geology, and think "surely all this can't have just happened, someone must have designed it". 

And then I can see all the cruelty, not just human, but animals devouring each other alive, and then I think "and he must have been a psychopath".

I just see the Law of Increasing Functional Complexity since the Big Expansion (bang) and organisms in ecosystems doing what they do in the Circle of Life. No godhead needed.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

EFPxY1lWsAAmzZA.jpg

Ok Riddler, what the hell does this mean??

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Will Due said:

EFPxY1lWsAAmzZA.jpg

On behalf of autistic environmentalists everywhere....we don't know that idiotic douche.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Will Due said:

EFPxY1lWsAAmzZA.jpg

The look on her face says to me, “This has not been my day.  First, I had no morning poop.  Then, while watering the lawn with bare feet, I stepped on a snail with my left foot while simultaneously stepping on a pile of dog poop with my right foot that squished up between my toes!”

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Guyver said:

The look on her face says to me, “This has not been my day.  First, I had no morning poop.  Then, while watering the lawn with bare feet, I stepped on a snail with my left foot while simultaneously stepping on a pile of dog poop with my right foot that squished up between my toes!”

@Grim Reaper 6 Does that explain it? 

All because he's a psychopath :lol:

• Confused 1

Just now, Will Due said:

@Grim Reaper 6 Does that explain it? 

All because he's a psychopath :lol:

No, it doesn't explain it, you will that is why I call you the Riddler. Because no one understands what you're trying to say except you. So, are you saying that Greta is a psychopath?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Making fun of a disabled person isn't funny!!!;)

Edited by Grim Reaper 6
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Piney said:

On behalf of autistic environmentalists everywhere....we don't know that idiotic douche.

HoW daRE YoU!

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Will Due said:

EFPxY1lWsAAmzZA.jpg

I know UM is just a light-hearted forum, but you are not a thinker, are you? You don't think about things. That's why I so love the song "God said it, I believe it, and that settles it for me!" as summarising religion. You couldn't meet a thicker bunch of people if you prayed to meet them.

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Making fun of a disabled person isn't funny!!!;)

What makes you think she’s disabled?  I’d be disabled myself for a while if I simultaneously stepped on a snail and dog poop in bare feet!

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, pellinore said:

I know UM is just a light-hearted forum, but you are not a thinker, are you? You don't think about things. That's why I so love the song "God said it, I believe it, and that settles it for me!" as summarising religion. You couldn't meet a thicker bunch of people if you prayed to meet them.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

So, are you saying that Greta is a psychopath?

No @pellinore said God's a psychopath :lol: wah

Now do you get it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Will Due said:

No @pellinore said God's a psychopath :lol: wah

Now do you get it?

Yea now I get it, but it is also the exact reason I call you the Riddler. It took 3 posts to translate what you were try say!!!:D

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Yea now I get it, but it is also the exact reason I call you the Riddler. It took 3 posts to translate what you were try say!!!:D

Here's another part of the riddle (to you).

He also said animals eat animals :lol: wah

Just now, Will Due said:

Here's another part of the riddle (to you).

He also said animals eat animals :lol: wah

Animals eat people, and people eat people, so yes animals do eat animals!!!!!!!:lol:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Piney said:

I just see the Law of Increasing Functional Complexity since the Big Expansion (bang) and organisms in ecosystems doing what they do in the Circle of Life. No godhead needed.

Good point.  Except two things. 

One - just because a God or godhead is not needed does not prove that one doesn’t exist.  The greatest argument or one of the really good ones IMO is the God as Prime Mover or First Cause argument.

Two - technically the Law of Increasing Functional complexity isn’t actually a scientific law at this point.  It is a proposed one….which is fine.  I’m not arguing that it’s not real, cannot be shown….and it probably can be shown or at least strongly argued for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

He has good weed.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Guyver said:

He has good weed.

I didn't think suppositories worked for weed?

• Haha 2