Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why does God play hide and seek with humanity?

pellinore

9 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I didn't think suppositories worked for weed?

OMG, spit laugh.  Thread winner.  Close thread.  JK.

PS.  I don’t know from personal experience, but according to some people, suppositories prolly work on everything.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Guyver said:

OMG, spit laugh.  Thread winner.  Close thread.  JK.

PS.  I don’t know from personal experience, but according to some people, suppositories prolly work on everything.

I don't I have a tattoo on my butt that says exit only!!!!!!!!!!!:yes:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Seriously on the OP topic though….that actually is my beef with god right now.  It is the playing of hide and seek while the rest of us live in a land of confusion.  Except for Joc.  He is not confused.  We live, we die, we rot, there is nothing else.  So, let’s say Joc and everyone like Joc does not live in a land of confusion because they already know everything.  But for the rest of us sad saps like me, the world does seem like a land of confusion.

• Like 1

We live, we die, our bodies rot, we live again with a new body in the next world.......there is everything else. :D

I’m actually favoring the gods of science fiction right now.  If you are a sci-fi fan, you will remember 2001: A Space Odyssey.  Hal the supercomputer that went wonky.  You prolly remember hearing of it.  Anyway, the god was a little black prism.  It was a mystery that couldn’t be solved, etc.  But in the follow up movie, prolly based off the original book, the god was still a black prism, but now it’s enormous, and stationary near Jupiter.  It doesn’t respond well to readings, or scientific testing at all, and if you touch it, you die.  Spoiler alert.  But, that mysterious black prism that had become so 30 kilos in length or whatever, was comprised of a billion or more little ones, identical to all the others.  Then, it gives the astronauts a warning to flee, which they wisely do….and that black prism turns Jupiter into a sun creates like three new worlds that humans can inhabit.

21 minutes ago, Guyver said:

new worlds that humans can inhabit.

"I don't know, Sparks. But I guess I'd say if it is just us... seems like an awful waste of space."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Guyver said:

Seriously on the OP topic though….that actually is my beef with god right now.  It is the playing of hide and seek while the rest of us live in a land of confusion.  Except for Joc.  He is not confused.  We live, we die, we rot, there is nothing else.  So, let’s say Joc and everyone like Joc does not live in a land of confusion because they already know everything.  But for the rest of us sad saps like me, the world does seem like a land of confusion.

I would not worry about it, that what attracts me to Buddhism. I have no problem taking responsibility for my life good or bad. It requires simply taking full responsibility for my actions, so if something is broken each of us must fix our own problems. Something like 90% of all our problems we created for ourselves and in most cases problems like that can be fixed by simply breaking our ties with the past and only living in the now. So long as we can learn to love ourselves and forgive ourselves almost all the pain and suffering we experience is washed away!

Peace

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I would not worry about it, that what attracts me to Buddhism. I have no problem taking responsibility for my life good or bad. It requires simply taking full responsibility for my actions, so if something is broken each of us must fix our own problems. Something like 90% of all our problems we created for ourselves and in most cases problems like that can be fixed by simply breaking our ties with the past and only living in the now. So long as we can learn to love ourselves and forgive ourselves almost all the pain and suffering we experience is washed away!

Peace

Really? 

cormac

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Peace

I agree and think Buddhism is the greatest of religions.  But, some people around here say that Buddhists are as much a bunch of blood thirsty killers as the rest of we humans.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Really? 

cormac

Yes at least that amount, maybe more. But we are also faced with problems beyond our control, and these we must deal with on a one to one basis!

peace mac

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Guyver said:

I agree and think Buddhism is the greatest of religions.  But, some people around here say that Buddhists are as much a bunch of blood thirsty killers as the rest of we humans.

There are many different types of the Buddhist Philosophy that exist today. I am unaware of any of them that are blood thirst killers, but I admit that I don't know what happened in the past.

Edited by Grim Reaper 6
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Yes at least that amount, maybe more. But we are also faced with problems beyond our control, and these we must deal with on a one to one basis!

peace mac

I don’t think so. Sounds either too high or completely made up IMO. Is there an actual source? 

cormac

33 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

There are many different types of the Buddhist Philosophy that exist today. I am unaware of any of them that blood thirst killers, but I admit that I don't know what happened in the past.

Yes, the examples given to prove the point have been from the past.

17 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

I don’t think so. Sounds either too high or completely made up IMO. Is there an actual source? 

cormac

It would be impossible to determine an exact figure, I put those numbers forward as an estimate I should have said that. One thing is for certain, it can vary a great deal from person to person because what happens today is based upon our actions yesterday. It all comes down to how responsible a person is throughout their lives!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Guyver said:

Yes, the examples given to prove the point have been from the past.

That is what I though, because I not aware of anything like that occurring today!

Peae

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

It would be impossible to determine an exact figure, I put those numbers forward as an estimate I should have said that. One thing is for certain, it can vary a great deal from person to person because what happens today is based upon our actions yesterday. It all comes down to how responsible a person is throughout their lives!!!!

But it should also be noted that a person bears no responsibility for things that are out of their control, hence why I believed 90% is a made up number. 

cormac

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

But it should also be noted that a person bears no responsibility for things that are out of their control, hence why I believed 90% is a made up number. 

My comments were to say that approximately 90% of ones problems throughout life are created by the individual and that approximately 10% are related to a cause beyond our control. Now, I am basing this upon my own life, your personal situation may be totally different. Because these figures are based upon each of us, it would be impossible to even prove a source.

Peace

5 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

cormac

4 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

My comments were to say that approximately 90% of ones problems throughout life are created by the individual and that approximately 10% are related to a cause beyond our control. Now, I am basing this upon my own life, your personal situation may be totally different. Because these figures are based upon each of us, it would be impossible to even prove a source.

Peace

Saying 90% of one’s problems originally and then claiming afterwards that it’s based on your own life comes across as dishonest, but ok. At least now we know. 

cormac

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Saying 90% of one’s problems originally and then claiming afterwards that it’s based on your own life comes across as dishonest, but ok. At least now we know. 

cormac

That is where the numbers came from, and like I said it would be impossible to build a source under the circumstances! It was not my intention to come across in a disingenuous manner. But I see your point and I agree that it can certainly be taken that way.

Do you have better way of expressing those numbers?

Edited by Grim Reaper 6

7 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

That is where the numbers came from, and like I said it would be impossible to build a source under the circumstances! It was not my intention to come across in a disingenuous manner. But I see your point and I agree that it can certainly be taken that way.

Do you have better way of expressing those numbers?

Nope, I wouldn’t have touched it with a ten foot pole without some kind of valid supporting evidence beforehand, especially considering there are way too many variables to take into account. 

cormac

Just now, cormac mac airt said:

Nope, I wouldn’t have touched it with a ten foot pole without some kind of valid supporting evidence beforehand, especially considering there are way too many variables to take into account. 

cormac

I understand it can only be calculated on an individual basis, how do you rate yourself?

Just now, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I understand it can only be calculated on an individual basis, how do you rate yourself?

I do the best I can with what I’ve got and don’t try to fix responsibility on percentages. Just in my own life inherited medical issues are not my fault. Various medical issues requiring a steel plate and screws or disc repair or triple heart bypass and ICD implant or lung surgery due to spontaneous pneumothorax were not my fault. The deaths of most of my immediate family, wife and daughters, wasn’t my fault. So tell me, how would YOU assign percentages to my responsibility for those? Not to mean I’m faultless, far from it, but your original percentage claim is totally meaningless. 

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Piney said:

I just see the Law of Increasing Functional Complexity since the Big Expansion (bang) and organisms in ecosystems doing what they do in the Circle of Life. No godhead needed.

I just wanted to come back to this point to say that the problem with knowing for a fact that this claim is true and it should be law is…..we have no repeatability to it.  The universe is already nearly 14 billion years old, it will most likely live another 14 billion years.  We will not.  I’m just saying.  That’s why it can’t be a law. It seems to be a fact.  Interesting dilemma.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

I do the best I can with what I’ve got and don’t try to fix responsibility on percentages. Just in my own life inherited medical issues are not my fault. Various medical issues requiring a steel plate and screws or disc repair or triple heart bypass and ICD implant or lung surgery due to spontaneous pneumothorax were not my fault. The deaths of most of my immediate family, wife and daughters, wasn’t my fault. So tell me, how would YOU assign percentages to my responsibility for those? Not to mean I’m faultless, far from it, but your original percentage claim is totally meaningless. 

cormac

I certainly would not assign blame to myself for the terrible things that occurred in your life. Dude, you have been through hell and back, I am so sorry for your loss. I also lost a daughter in October of 2012, and I don't blame myself or my wife. She was totally disabled from encephalitis when she was 3 years old, we took care of her in home her entire life. Her condition worsened over the years until she was on a ventilator.

I use to get every morning around 4:30 am and I would check her out and change her diaper if needed. Well, that morning she was gone, and things have never been the same. But I know we did everything possible to care for her, so it was not my fault it was only here time.

I am certain you feel the same way about situation,

Peace Man

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I certainly would not assign blame to myself for the terrible things that occurred in your life. Dude, you have been through hell and back, I am so sorry for your loss. I also lost a daughter in October of 2012, and I don't blame myself or my wife. She was totally disabled from encephalitis when she was 3 years old, we took care of her in home her entire life. Her condition worsened over the years until she was on a ventilator.

I use to get every morning around 4:30 am and I would check her out and change her diaper if needed. Well, that morning she was gone, and things have never been the same. But I know we did everything possible to care for her, so it was not my fault it was only here time.

I am certain you feel the same way about situation,

Peace Man

And I’m sorry for your loss, but that’s not the problem. The problem is with your claim as there is no meaningful, reliable way to assign percentages of responsibility to what happens to one in life. It’s a pointless endeavor. 

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt
  • Like 1