Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Final Pearl Harbor Survivor of USS Arizona Laid to Rest at Age 102

Grim Reaper 6

Lou Conter, the last surviving crew member of the USS Arizona, which was destroyed during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, has passed away at the age of 102. His death marks the end of a direct living connection to a pivotal moment in American history

Final Pearl Harbor Survivor of USS Arizona Laid to Rest at Age 102 (msn.com)

• Sad 1

very sad event, indeed. and the AZ got it the worst. saying "survivor of the USS Arizona" makes me spin my head, 'there were...?"

My father was on the heavy cruiser, USS New Orleans, docked next to the USS San Francisco at Pearl Harbor and witnessed all this. There was a 3rd ship, too, but I can't recall now. (Nashville??)

Anyway, it was a very grim event in our history

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A few years ago I saw a documentary about one of the survivors being interred on the USS Arizona. The Navy had given her surviving crew permission to be cremated and the urn placed on a section of the ship. At that time there were only two more left and neither had opted for this type of internment. I'm glad I was able to watch it. His granddaughter and his great grandson flew to Hawaii with the urn and the service was a full Navy military service. Then divers took the remains down to the ship. 

I just googled and 44 survivors chose this type of burial. The last one was in 2019.

Edited by susieice
  • Thanks 1