Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

ISIS Threatens attack on this evenings Champions League Quarter Finals

joseraul

9 minutes ago, joseraul said:

Pretty messed up if this happens.

I suspect (and I really hope that I'm right about this) that this is a form of economic terrorism, the IRA used to use similar tactics. As we know that ISIS are willing and capable to carry out such attaks, a threat like this HAS to be taken seriously, which means more security, more inconvenience for people, more cost to the police forces of those nations hosting games. These costs are incurred whether you carry out the threat or not. ISIS causes severe disruption, and gains publicity, all for the cost of a phone call.

If ISIS really wanted to cause carnage they probably wouldn't have announced it in advance... but that's a risk that the authorities just can't take.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

I suspect (and I really hope that I'm right about this) that this is a form of economic terrorism, the IRA used to use similar tactics. As we know that ISIS are willing and capable to carry out such attaks, a threat like this HAS to be taken seriously, which means more security, more inconvenience for people, more cost to the police forces of those nations hosting games. These costs are incurred whether you carry out the threat or not. ISIS causes severe disruption, and gains publicity, all for the cost of a phone call.

If ISIS really wanted to cause carnage they probably wouldn't have announced it in advance... but that's a risk that the authorities just can't take.

Interesting way to think of it!

Also ISIS doesn't have a globally centralized group, they count on random radicalized people all over the world to act..

Who knows what amateurs this announcement may inspire.

Edited by joseraul

21 minutes ago, joseraul said:

Who knows what amateurs this announcement may inspire.

That is true. It could be all reason some looney needs to attack a crowd with a knife or car.

• Sad 1