Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Japanese Researchers Discover Simple Trick to Reduce Anger


Grim Reaper 6

Recommended Posts

A research group in Japan has discovered that writing down one’s reaction to a negative incident on a piece of paper and then shredding it or throwing it away reduces feelings of anger.

We expected that our method would suppress anger to some extent,” lead researcher Nobuyuki Kawai said. “However, we were amazed that anger was eliminated almost entirely.”

This research is important because controlling anger at home and in the workplace can reduce negative consequences in our jobs and personal lives. Unfortunately, many anger management techniques proposed by specialists lack empirical research support. They can also be difficult to recall when angry.

https://scitechdaily.com/japanese-researchers-discover-simple-trick-to-reduce-anger/

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I focus awareness and attempt to locate where in my body the anger is centered.

Usually this search dissipates the emotion rather quickly.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, quiXilver said:

I focus awareness and attempt to locate where in my body the anger is centered.

Usually this search dissipates the emotion rather quickly.

I meditate and do the same thing, either way it works very well.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2024 at 4:55 PM, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I meditate and do the same thing, either way it works very well.

Do you find anger to be located in a particular place most of the time?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, quiXilver said:

Do you find anger to be located in a particular place most of the time?

I feel it throughout my body, it causes my muscles to tighten up and if not relaxed it leads to headaches. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I feel it throughout my body, it causes my muscles to tighten up and if not relaxed it leads to headaches. 

Interesting... mine tends to be located several inches in front of my face.

Go figure.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, quiXilver said:

Interesting... mine tends to be located several inches in front of my face.

Go figure.

We are all different so I suspect that anger also effects us differently.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2024 at 4:36 PM, Grim Reaper 6 said:

A research group in Japan has discovered that writing down one’s reaction to a negative incident on a piece of paper and then shredding it or throwing it away reduces feelings of anger.

Tried it and it didn't work. It just made me angrier.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Tried it and it didn't work. It just made me angrier.

Sorry to hear that, I use meditation to relax myself. I have always had issues with anger and discovered in my teens back in the 1970s that meditation worked. So I have been meditating since then and it really helps me control my anger, better than any medication.

Peace.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Sorry to hear that, I use meditation to relax myself. I have always had issues with anger and discovered in my teens back in the 1970s that meditation worked. So I have been meditating since then and it really helps me control my anger, better than any medication.

Meditation seems to work for many people but I haven't the patience for it. I don't really have issues with anger. If I get angry and deal with the source of that anger right away, I won't stay angry. But I used to throw phenomenal tantrums when I was a little one (usually when my father was about to leave for the day or go on a business trip without me) and the way I dealt with that rage was to throw anything made of crystal or porcelain across the room. Did it work? Well it got me out of the rage and into a sulk, so I guess in a way it did.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Meditation seems to work for many people but I haven't the patience for it. I don't really have issues with anger. If I get angry and deal with the source of that anger right away, I won't stay angry. But I used to throw phenomenal tantrums when I was a little one (usually when my father was about to leave for the day or go on a business trip without me) and the way I dealt with that rage was to throw anything made of crystal or porcelain across the room. Did it work? Well it got me out of the rage and into a sulk, so I guess in a way it did.

For me as a young kid the thing that would set me off was if someone put their hands upon me. My father didn't believe in spanking he would always use different forms of punishment when I was out of line. I have always hated bullies all my life, so when I started to school, I encountered my bully. The guy would try and take my lunch every day, well I stopped that immediately. I became angry and I punched him in the face, needless to say that was the last time he bothered me, but my parents had to come to school and see the principle with me. My father was understanding about the situation, and I didn't get punished when I got home.

During my school years I had a few more encounters with bullies, and they ended the same way. One thing I have found out about bullies is they are normally cowards, and once you stand up them, they no longer have any fight left in them. So, once I started meditating, I was able to learn how to control my anger which is the best thing for everyone concerned. Because, as an adult you can't continue to go off on people.:D

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

My anger would often cause irregular breathing which resulted in either headaches, or bowel trouble.  So I just replace anger with love.  Just think of the person that angers you and in your mind say I love you and forgive you, and regard them as a confused individual who never experienced love and so they do not know how to reciprocate that love, and that is why they provoke anger in others, because they don't know what love is, so in your head you can say you love and forgive them.  If that doesn't work then another solution is to have a fake phone call with that person or record what you want to say, imagine they apologised and record your reply and happy acceptance of their apology.  It may sound daft, but it can work.

A similar solution I used was at the dentist, and on top of a ferris wheel and when attending an interview, I just pretend in my mind that everything I see around me is all just a memory and that I am really an old man relaxing in the garden on a summer's day 40 years in the future and the situation I am seeing is just a memory that I know ended well and there is no reason to be nervous or feel angry because it is just a memory that will pass or a superficial feeling brought on by poor diet, lack of sleep or irregular breathing.  It is quite incredible how various moods can be created by a simple chemical imbalance.  I generally eat healthy, but I know if I spend a day eating junk food, then I can expect to feel short tempered and grumpy 48 hours later.  As the old saying goes - healthy body, healthy mind.

 

 

Edited by TigerBright19
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
 
On 4/12/2024 at 10:52 PM, TigerBright19 said:

My anger would often cause irregular breathing which resulted in either headaches, or bowel trouble.  So I just replace anger with love.  Just think of the person that angers you and in your mind say I love you and forgive you, and regard them as a confused individual who never experienced love and so they do not know how to reciprocate that love, and that is why they provoke anger in others, because they don't know what love is, so in your head you can say you love and forgive them.  If that doesn't work then another solution is to have a fake phone call with that person or record what you want to say, imagine they apologised and record your reply and happy acceptance of their apology.  It may sound daft, but it can work.

A similar solution I used was at the dentist, and on top of a ferris wheel and when attending an interview, I just pretend in my mind that everything I see around me is all just a memory and that I am really an old man relaxing in the garden on a summer's day 40 years in the future and the situation I am seeing is just a memory that I know ended well and there is no reason to be nervous or feel angry because it is just a memory that will pass or a superficial feeling brought on by poor diet, lack of sleep or irregular breathing.  It is quite incredible how various moods can be created by a simple chemical imbalance.  I generally eat healthy, but I know if I spend a day eating junk food, then I can expect to feel short tempered and grumpy 48 hours later.  As the old saying goes - healthy body, healthy mind. Struggling to keep up with your academic workload? Our personalized essay support service is the solution you've been searching for. Our dedicated team of scholars and writers will dnp writing services work closely with you to understand your unique needs and deliver custom-tailored essays that exceed your expectations. With our assistance, you can overcome any academic challenge and achieve the grades you deserve. Take the first step towards success – order your custom essay now!

 

 

I agree, but that's why I do more meditation and so on. It helps a lot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do know holding anger in and not telling others about it is a ticking time bomb so letting it out verbally or on paper is a good move.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.