Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA is invited to help scan Loch Ness as part of major new monster hunt

UM-Bot

Are tourists dollars getting skinny? If NASA gets involved they won't find any monster either.

• Like 3

They can make a mini-series out of this and male heap big dough. great promotion

It's never gonna get through these people's heads that the monster doesn't even exist.

Like trust me, we would've found it by now. We can easily find whales in the ocean no problem but we can't find a breeding population of large creatures in a lake???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, MysteryMike said:

Like trust me, we would've found it by now. We can easily find whales in the ocean no problem but we can't find a breeding population of large creatures in a lake???

1) What is "it"?

2) Why would we have found "it" by now?

I thought I read somewhere that they found eel DNA last time. That would go some way to explaining sightings of a serpent. Eels can get pretty big. I live in Scotland and would love to think there is a couple of plesiosaurs sploshing about in Loch Ness but it ain't gonna happen! It is good for tourism though. Loch Ness is not the prettiest Loch in Scotland by any means and yet people flock to the area in their thousands. I meet lots of tourists in my job and I always recommend going to the West Coast near Skye as the scenery is spectacular. Loch Torridon especially. But all they want to do is go to Loch Ness to find Nessie. Oh well, have fun!
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, sanchez710 said:

I thought I read somewhere that they found eel DNA last time. That would go some way to explaining sightings of a serpent. Eels can get pretty big. I live in Scotland and would love to think there is a couple of plesiosaurs sploshing about in Loch Ness but it ain't gonna happen! It is good for tourism though. Loch Ness is not the prettiest Loch in Scotland by any means and yet people flock to the area in their thousands. I meet lots of tourists in my job and I always recommend going to the West Coast near Skye as the scenery is spectacular. Loch Torridon especially. But all they want to do is go to Loch Ness to find Nessie. Oh well, have fun!

My neighbor just came back from a vacation there , loved it but didn't see nessie

• Like 2

On 4/12/2024 at 7:22 AM, the13bats said:

My neighbor just came back from a vacation there , loved it but didn't see nessie

Not one of the chosen few then. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Kenemet said:

...that's not what NASA's mission is.  

...unless Nessie turns out to be a solar flare or something similar.

(image from NASA https://www.nasa.gov/ocfo/strategic-plan/)

strategic-goals-discover-explore-innovate-advance02-24.png?w=1086

It's all about semantics isn't it?  By the same logic you could say that they aren't going to explore oceans on other planets/moons.  Which they are going to do.

On 4/12/2024 at 1:27 AM, Cho Jinn said:

1) What is "it"?

2) Why would we have found "it" by now?

The alleged mythical creature the thread is about.

For there to be persistent alleged sightings of the creature (as described) there would need to be a viable breeding population to sustain its longevity.

• Like 3

On 4/14/2024 at 2:45 PM, iAlrakis said:

It's all about semantics isn't it?  By the same logic you could say that they aren't going to explore oceans on other planets/moons.  Which they are going to do.

No, not about semantics.  They are a space exploration unit of the US government.  NOAA explores bodies of water on our planet... not NASA.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Kenemet said:

No, not about semantics.  They are a space exploration unit of the US government.  NOAA explores bodies of water on our planet... not NASA.

Ok.  I learned something new today.  Just out of curiosity.  What's the exact relationship between those 2?  Let's say if NASA is planning off world ocean investigation do they go to NOAA for advice and tech or is it more of a two way situation?

22 minutes ago, iAlrakis said:

Ok.  I learned something new today.  Just out of curiosity.  What's the exact relationship between those 2?  Let's say if NASA is planning off world ocean investigation do they go to NOAA for advice and tech or is it more of a two way situation?

From what I can tell, they tend to send any findings to NOAA for their interpretation of data collected and anything observed.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, iAlrakis said:

Here's NOAA's mission statement:
https://www.nesdis.noaa.gov/about/our-mission#:~:text=The National Oceanic and Atmospheric,as the Nation's authoritative environmental

It's all about Mother Earth, not other worlds.

NOAA will use some of NASA's data for earthbound things.  They are not planetologists. 

NASA's mission is space data.  They have the planetologists.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robotic Jew said:

I invited NASA to my colonoscopy too. They didn't show up. 

You're not hiding Nessie in there, are you?

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Resume said:

You're not hiding Nessie in there, are you?

Wouldn't you like to know?

• Haha 1

NASA's next mission: Searching for the Loch Ness Monster from space! They'll be using satellite images to track down Nessie's underwater hideout.