Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I’ve Been at NPR for 25 Years. Here’s How We Lost America’s Trust

OverSword

Uri Berliner, a veteran at the public radio institution, says the network lost its way when it started telling listeners how to think.

https://www.thefp.com/p/npr-editor-how-npr-lost-americas-trust

This is a very good piece and I urge any of you who like me used to love NPR, read it through.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, OverSword said:

https://www.thefp.com/p/npr-editor-how-npr-lost-americas-trust

This is a very good piece and I urge any of you who like me used to love NPR, read it through.

Damn good read! 👍

• Like 2

Excellent.

This comment sounds like a lot of the regulars here...

"I wish I shared your optimism. I say this because I have family and friends who never left NPR. They start their days with it, finish it up with MSNBC, and in between they read the New York Times. Trump's name comes up randomly at least five times an hour, usually some exclamation of why he still hasn't gone to prison and when is that going to happen? They don't know that "Russia Gate" was a hoax. They don't know that the Hunter Biden laptop story was true. They believe that Biden makes all his own decisions and only misspeaks on occasion because he has a stutter. They never heard of the Twitter files. They wear masks on the street and believe Covid was triggered by a random event at a wet market. They eagerly await each new booster and believe that Fauci is the embodiment of selfless science.

Perhaps most disturbing is that despite being lifelong liberals, they passionately defend government censorship, which they believe we need in order to be protected against dangerous misinformation. And how could I forget their ongoing obsession with the "insurrection?"

NPR has a foundational role to play in their ideological stagnation, but it's just one layer of the cake of mainstream media."

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I actually like NPR because it seemed like most of the stuff I listen wasn't even political.  I can turn on the radio and they would be talking about stuff like a research project bird's memory and how it can help people with memory issues or in interview with an astronaut about extended living in space.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

I actually like NPR because it seemed like most of the stuff I listen wasn't even political.  I can turn on the radio and they would be talking about stuff like a research project bird's memory and how it can help people with memory issues or in interview with an astronaut about extended living in space.  

Their apolitical stuff is interesting.  It is the leftist slant on certain topics where they start losing me.

In November 2017, I was interviewed by a journalist from NPR. They were doing a story concerning the benefits of music education on preteens/teens with autism. It was at a place for special needs kids to take lessons called the Music Education Center.  I was taking my son to his weekly piano lesson and had no idea they were going to be there. While my son was having his lesson the lady asked me if I wouldn’t mind if she asked me a few questions. I said sure and it got written up in their local affiliate’s paper and on the website, complete with the original audio of the interview.

It was a pretty cool experience.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

A very fascinating read. It's worth the time for anyone who wishes, though it's a long read. I've quoted my favourite part here, just to highlight one of the problems with modern media:

“What’s happening there? Why is NPR telling me what to think?”

In recent years I’ve struggled to answer that question. Concerned by the lack of viewpoint diversity, I looked at voter registration for our newsroom. In D.C., where NPR is headquartered and many of us live, I found 87 registered Democrats working in editorial positions and zero Republicans. None. 

So on May 3, 2021, I presented the findings at an all-hands editorial staff meeting. When I suggested we had a diversity problem with a score of 87 Democrats and zero Republicans, the response wasn’t hostile. It was worse. It was met with profound indifference. I got a few messages from surprised, curious colleagues. But the messages were of the “oh wow, that’s weird” variety, as if the lopsided tally was a random anomaly rather than a critical failure of our diversity North Star. 

In a follow-up email exchange, a top NPR news executive told me that she had been “skewered” for bringing up diversity of thought when she arrived at NPR. So, she said, “I want to be careful how we discuss this publicly.”

Maybe having zero Republicans in a news room seems normal to you, but it certainly explains the lack of diversity of thought in media companies. 

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

A very fascinating read. It's worth the time for anyone who wishes, though it's a long read. I've quoted my favourite part here, just to highlight one of the problems with modern media:

Maybe having zero Republicans in a news room seems normal to you, but it certainly explains the lack of diversity of thought in media companies. 

Do they ask your political affiliation during an interview process?  I highly doubt that.  Maybe it's just because Republicans aren't very smart, and aren't good writers?  Yea, that's what I'm going with.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Agent0range said:

Do they ask your political affiliation during an interview process?  I highly doubt that. 

If diversity was their "north star" one would think so, unless you are in agreement that these people only care about diversity that is literally only skin deep,  and care nothing for diversity of thought. 

1 hour ago, Agent0range said:

Maybe it's just because Republicans aren't very smart, and aren't good writers?  Yea, that's what I'm going with.  

Some would call that bigotry.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

NPR suspends veteran editor Uri Berliner, who called out left-wing bias

NPR suspended Uri Berliner, the senior editor who published a bombshell essay a week ago that claimed that the publicly funded outlet has “lost America’s trust” by reporting the news with a left-wing bias.

NPR media writer David Folkenflik revealed on Tuesday that Berliner was sidelined for five days without pay beginning last Friday. Folkenflik, who reviewed a copy of the letter from NPR brass, said the company told the editor he had failed to secure its approval for outside work for other news outlets — a requirement for NPR journalists.

NPR called the letter a “final warning,” saying Berliner would be fired if he violated NPR’s policy again.

Neither NPR nor Berliner immediately responded to requests for comment.

Link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OverSword said:

Link

That answers my question. I wonder if he’s will be burned at the stake?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, OverSword said:

Link

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission, I guess. 

The 42-year-old exec added that the essay amounted to “a criticism of our people on the basis of who we are.”

Good, that's exactly what it was! Take it on board and do better journalism!

• Like 2

npr-democrat-party-donkey-logo.jpg?resiz

• Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 11:33 PM, Agent0range said:

Do they ask your political affiliation during an interview process?  I highly doubt that.  Maybe it's just because Republicans aren't very smart, and aren't good writers?  Yea, that's what I'm going with.  

Did you see your boy's presser in your / his hometown?  Perhaps 25 non-media people.  For the President of the United States.  There are more senior citizens in line for margaritas at our community center on Wednesdays.  #85billionvotes!

1 hour ago, Cho Jinn said:

Did you see your boy's presser in your / his hometown?  Perhaps 25 non-media people.  For the President of the United States.  There are more senior citizens in line for margaritas at our community center on Wednesdays.  #85billionvotes!

First of all, Biden is not my boy.  Biden is straight up garbage.  Trump is just straight up garbage, plus a disgusting human.  And crowd sizes again?  Only a damn weirdo flies a flag with another man's name on it.  I only fly the American flag at my home.  Only a damn weirdo wears a hat with another man's name on it.  Only a damn weirdo goes to a political rally holding a sign with another man's name on it.  Just because Trump supporters are weirdo cultists, doesn't mean that those are normal actions.  

• Like 2

On 4/14/2024 at 2:08 AM, Paranoid Android said:

Some would call that bigotry.

They would be wrong, though, cause I believe that is more accurately prejudice. 

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Occupational Hubris said:

They would be wrong, though, cause I believe that is more accurately prejudice. 

I stand corrected. Let me rephrase - some would call that "prejudice"!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

I stand corrected. Let me rephrase - some would call that "prejudice"!

👍

15 hours ago, Agent0range said:

First of all, Biden is not my boy.  Biden is straight up garbage.  Trump is just straight up garbage, plus a disgusting human.  And crowd sizes again?  Only a damn weirdo flies a flag with another man's name on it.  I only fly the American flag at my home.  Only a damn weirdo wears a hat with another man's name on it.  Only a damn weirdo goes to a political rally holding a sign with another man's name on it.  Just because Trump supporters are weirdo cultists, doesn't mean that those are normal actions.  

Some of them take it a bit too far, yes.  For most, I think they are just having fun with it, or at least acting out of spite.  The whole "**** you, that's why" spirit is strong in this country.

Sad part if many people still can't see the liberal media bias even if it is right in front of their face....

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Edumakated said:

Sad part if many people still can't see the liberal media bias even if it is right in front of their face....

My favorite part of the op-ed is when he told some truth about Covid origins and the medias ideological coverup. :yes:  That was not isolated to NPR.  Everyone with ears knew NPR was ideologically possessed by the left for over a decade.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Edumakated said:

That's why I feel I have to read many different news sites to be able to determine the truth.  CNN leans left very far and Fox News leans right.

• Like 1

Uri Berliner resigns from NPR (link) after he is stood down for his article:

NPR editor who accused outlet of liberal bias resigns

An editor at National Public Radio who publicly accused the news organization of having a liberal bias and a growing absence of “viewpoint diversity” has resigned, days after being suspended without pay.

On Wednesday, Uri Berliner posted a screenshot of his resignation letter to NPR’s CEO, Katherine Maher, in which he wrote: “I am resigning from NPR, a great American institution where I have worked for 25 years.

"I don’t support calls to defund NPR. I respect the integrity of my colleagues and wish for NPR to thrive and do important journalism. But I cannot work in a newsroom where I am disparaged by a new CEO whose divisive views confirm the very problems at NPR I cite in my Free Press essay,” Berliner added.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Here is a related article about the new head of NPR Katherine Maher

Larry Sanger remembers the promise of the web. He co-founded Wikipedia in 2001, with the hope that it could sustain a “free and open” Internet—a place where information, dissent, and creativity could thrive. At Wikipedia, he proposed a system of rules that encouraged users to “avoid bias” and maintain a “neutral point of view.”

That Internet is gone.

I reached out to Sanger following the revelation, from my original reporting, that former Wikimedia Foundation CEO Katherine Maher, who is now CEO of NPR, had explicitly rejected the principles of a “free and open” Internet, collaborated with government officials to censor dissent, and spurned the concept of objective truth altogether, in favor of left-wing relativism.

https://www.city-journal.org/article/wikipedia-co-founder-shocked-by-npr-chief-katherine-maher

It seems like it's going to be harder for the usual suspects on UM to continue to deny the left wing bias and media companies complicity in censorship of messaging at behest of government if these persons of good conscience that advocate freedom of speech and thought continue to out them like this.  

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1