Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US intel said to indicate Iran could strike ‘Israeli soil’ in next 24 to 48 hours

Kittens Are Jerks

45 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I understand your point and agree. The only problem being that all roads lead back to Iran.

We could always invade with the 'weapons of mass destruction' ploy again.  I recall back in 2002 the political analysts said that invading Iraq was not on the table because it would devastate and unstable the region and massively increase oil prices.  The same reason I believe is being used on Iran.  It is a bit like political leaders who say they will not stand for election knowing full well they will.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I understand your point and agree. The only problem being that all roads lead back to Iran.

I suspect most roads lead to the Putin Regime.  ?    ..and in hopes of a win for his comrade trump.   I hope I’m entirely wrong  .image.png.92e0fc06af5244d0570e0f69071b94e8.png

Edited by lightly

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Very cryptic but since when has war and geopolitics not been about politics?

True, and  since when has politics not, in reality, been about economics?

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

Reports are starting to make it out today of how large the attack was.  From what is being talked about it seems approximately 170 drones, 30 cruise missiles, and 120 ballistic missiles were fired at Israel by Iran, different sources use different numbers and some sources are using radically higher numbers.  The overwhelming majority was intercepted with only a few missiles getting through and causing minor damage to an Israeli airbase in southern Israel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

How Israel foiled Iran’s ballistic missiles as they headed to an F-35 airbase

Sirens and explosions were heard nationwide in Israel early Sunday morning as Iran launched a wave of more than 300 drones and missiles at the country in its first-ever direct attack on the Jewish state.

While a list of sites Iran tried to hit has not been publicized by Tehran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps — which launched the drones and missiles — the main target of the attack appeared to be a sensitive airbase in southern Israel, Nevatim, home to the F-35 stealth fighter jet, the military’s most advanced aircraft.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/how-israel-foiled-irans-ballistic-missile-attack-that-focused-on-an-f-35-airbase/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, TigerBright19 said:

We could always invade with the 'weapons of mass destruction' ploy again.  I recall back in 2002 the political analysts said that invading Iraq was not on the table because it would devastate and unstable the region and massively increase oil prices.  The same reason I believe is being used on Iran.  It is a bit like political leaders who say they will not stand for election knowing full well they will.

I'm by no means an expert, but I don't think a regional war or another Iraq-type situation is the only solution. Besides, the US has indicated they want to pull their forces from the Middle East and recommit them to Europe and the Indo-Pacific. They don't want to get involved in a long, drawn out conflict in the Middle East, especially when there are other ways to destabilize a regime.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lightly said:

I suspect most roads lead to the Putin Regime.  ?    ..and in hopes of a win for his comrade trump.   I hope I’m entirely wrong  

I'm not convinced that all roads lead to Putin in this instance, although his relationships with Iran and others in the region remain central to boosting his anti-Western strategic interests.

• Like 3

Iran had told Turkey they planned to attack Israel. 

Iran told Turkey in advance of its operation against Israel, Turkish source says (msn.com)

Earlier this week, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken spoke to Fidan to make clear that escalation in the Middle East was not in anyone's interest.

"Iran informed us in advance of what would happen. Possible developments also came up during the meeting with Blinken, and they (the U.S.) conveyed to Iran through us that this reaction must be within certain limits," the source said.

"In response, Iran said the reaction would be a response to Israel's attack on its embassy in Damascus and that it would not go beyond this."

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, susieice said:

"Iran informed us in advance of what would happen.

So the whole thing is a spectacle.

Everybody knew in advance what would happen and what their role would be.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Only_ said:

So the whole thing is a spectacle.

Everybody knew in advance what would happen and what their role would be.

The US knew the attack would come because Iran told Turkey what it planned to do. 

• Like 2

Should Israel launch an immediate retaliatory attack on Iran? Lawmakers are divided

Far-right members of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government issued strident calls for Israel to react to Iran’s attack on Israel with a show of force, while other moderate members of the coalition, including war cabinet Minister Benny Gantz, urged a balanced approach aimed at avoiding a spiralling escalation.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/should-israel-launch-an-immediate-retaliatory-attack-on-iran-lawmakers-are-divided/

• Like 1

If it was me, I would say, "You sure showed us,  I guess we are even." and leave it at that.  

A retalitory strike back would just give Iran another chance to try again with a chance of a much worse result.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

If it was me, I would say, "You sure showed us,  I guess we are even." and leave it at that.  

A retalitory strike back would just give Iran another chance to try again with a chance of a much worse result.

Exactly.  

The adult knows when to leave well alone. 

The child retaliates because it doesn't know better and doesn't care about the consequences for it or anyone else. 

I am not sure Israel has the maturity of a 2 week old puppy 🙁

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, lightly said:

True, and  since when has politics not, in reality, been about economics?

Speaking of economics.

Estimated military cost of last night's operations based on the figures published in the media:

110 ballistic missiles: 30-50 million dollars

45 cruise missiles: 4-7 million dollars

170 Shahed-136: 4-5 million dollars

Total: 62-38 million dollars

The collective West spent 1.1 billion dollars defending Israel. Unsurprisingly unsustainable. As in Ukraine the west is starting to realise its weapon systems while superior in performance are economically inferior to Eastern bloc weapons in price. 

Iran can attack Israel all month but can Israel afford to defend itself ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Speaking of economics.

Estimated military cost of last night's operations based on the figures published in the media:

110 ballistic missiles: 30-50 million dollars

45 cruise missiles: 4-7 million dollars

170 Shahed-136: 4-5 million dollars

Total: 62-38 million dollars

The collective West spent 1.1 billion dollars defending Israel. Unsurprisingly unsustainable. As in Ukraine the west is starting to realise its weapon systems while superior in performance are economically inferior to Eastern bloc weapons in price. 

Iran can attack Israel all month but can Israel afford to defend itself ?

Thanks ,  and..I always have to ask…Who got (most of) that money?    Western BU$inesses.?  Yup.      War, by proxy, is Big Business?    Fear Sells.      All those trump/Putin handshakes look like the conclusion of Business Agreements.    

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, susieice said:

The US knew the attack would come because Iran told Turkey what it planned to do. 

I think the entire episode was theatre. Thou Iran seems to have been the better actor the Oscar certainly belonged to Israel. Its defences are remarkable and its allies steadfast. Still a couple of facts need to be made. No civilians were targeted, which shows there were limits to Irans retaliation and the military response from Iran had a start and a finish date/time. This was well scripted and sanitised by all the major players, probably Israel too. It will be interesting to see if Israel responds in kind or just accept there are limits to what it can do too

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The US has told Israel it will not participate in any retaliatory attack against Iran.

Biden tells Netanyahu US will not participate in any counter-strike against Iran (msn.com)

In a conversation with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu late Saturday, Biden sought to frame Israel’s successful interception of the Iranian onslaught as a major victory — with the suggestion that further Israeli response was unnecessary.

Biden told the Israeli prime minister in his phone call that he should consider Saturday a win because Iran’s attacks had been largely unsuccessful and demonstrated Israel’s superior military capability, a senior administration official said. The US assessed that there was “no significant damage within Israel itself,” according to a senior US military official.

John Kirby, the White House national security spokesman, said Sunday the ability to prevent widespread damage was a demonstration of Israel’s “military superiority” and proof that Iran was not the “military power that they claim to be.”

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, susieice said:

That's my point.

You don't broadcast what you are going to do to a NATO member if you intend to inflict maximum damage.

Iran wanted his military response to look impressive but easily thwarted and predictable. So now they can call it 'even'.

Edited by Only_
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Only_ said:

That's my point.

You don't broadcast what you are going to do to a NATO member if you intend to inflict maximum damage.

Iran wanted his military response to look impressive but easily thwarted and predictable. So now they can call it 'even'.

Launching approximately 120 ballistic missiles is not an easily thwarted attack.  The sheer volume suggest that Iran meant to due serious damage

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

Launching approximately 120 ballistic missiles is not an easily thwarted attack.  The sheer volume suggest that Iran meant to due serious damage

Iran knew the US, UK and France would be able intercept most of those drones and missiles with forewarning on the retaliatory attack.

Israel also has one of the world's best air defence systems.

Edited by Only_
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, DarkHunter said:

I believe that Iran's primary goal was to restore deterrence with Israel, although I'm also certain they would have liked to have inflicted more physical damage as further evidence of their strength (not just to Israel and its allies, but also to their domestic audience). What's the point of having so many drones and missiles if you can't get them past your enemy's defence systems? With little to show for their attack on Israel, they had to resort to using unrelated footage to support their follow-up propaganda and fake news campaigns.

• Like 2

The Israeli army has released footage showing Israeli Air Force fighter jets downing some of the drones and missiles fired from Iran:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/watch-iaf-fighter-jets-down-iranian-drones-footage-shows-minor-damage-to-airbase/

Its war cabinet has indicated it wants to strike back at Iran but members are divided over when and how:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/war-cabinet-said-to-favor-hitting-back-at-iran-but-divided-over-when-and-how/

• Like 1