Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sydney Terror Attack

Unusual Tournament

Bondi Junction shooting, stabbing live updates: Multiple people dead after shooting, stabbing in Sydney’s eastern suburbs

An eyewitness said shoppers were panicking and running as he went to enter Bondi Junction this afternoon.

“People were absolutely petrified, and just so many young kids,” a man named Andrew told Nine News.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/bondi-junction-shooting-stabbings-live-updates-police-operation-in-sydney-s-eastern-suburbs-20240413-p5fjku.html

• Sad 9

4 minutes ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Bondi Junction shooting, stabbing live updates: Multiple people dead after shooting, stabbing in Sydney’s eastern suburbs

An eyewitness said shoppers were panicking and running as he went to enter Bondi Junction this afternoon.

“People were absolutely petrified, and just so many young kids,” a man named Andrew told Nine News.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/bondi-junction-shooting-stabbings-live-updates-police-operation-in-sydney-s-eastern-suburbs-20240413-p5fjku.html

This is a very terrible situation my friend!! I know this is breaking news hopefully we will get more information soon!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to read this. 

Brings to mind the 2002 Bali bombings which had mainly Aussie and British victims . I don't think the Aussies had a major terrorist attack after that till now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Current reporting is potentially four fatalities - including the suspect who has been “policed” out of existence. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

All I have read is that the killer was shot by a police officer.

My heart goes out to all Sydneysiders.  You are victims of something that was never your fight, and should never have involved any of you.

The terrorist and other members of his cause should be held fully accountable for this evil attack. 

• Like 4

• Six people have been killed in a mass stabbing at a busy shopping center in Sydney, Australian police said. Several others have been wounded and are being treated in hospital.
  • The attacker, who police said acted alone, was shot dead at the scene by a lone officer. Australia's Prime Minister Anthony Albanese called the officer a hero, saying "no doubt that she saved lives through her action."
  • The attack triggered panic, sending shoppers streaming from the Westfield Bondi Junction shopping center. Two men told Australian channel 9 News a baby and mother were among those stabbed.
  • The motive of the attack is unclear but police are investigating and are not ruling anything out, including that the attack is terror related. Mass casualty incidents are rare in Australain
  • Like 3

Police officer who shot Bondi Junction attacker wielding a ‘massive’ knife hailed as a hero

“She showed enormous courage and bravery.”

At a press conference on Saturday evening, Webb said police believed the offender is a 40-year-old man, but he was yet to formally identified. She said he was known to law enforcement but police did not believe the attack was motivated by terrorism.

Of the six who were killed, five are women. Police said it was too early to say if the attacks were directed at women.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2024/apr/13/police-officer-who-shot-bondi-junction-attacker-wielding-a-massive-knife-hailed-as-a-hero

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

Who did it and what was the motive ?

I've seen no mention of his name but here is a photo:

image.jpeg.4b712902e6f15e93c3dda2348c1192c4.jpeg

The cops were ruling out a terror attack within minutes of him being neutralized.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, docyabut2 said:

A baby and mother were among those stabbed.?so why was that baby being stabbed?

Because the bloke doing the stabbing was nuts.

• Like 5

I'm so sorry this happened. My condolences and thoughts to all involved. The baby was only 9 months old. The identity of the baby's mother has been released and she is 38 yrs old. She died later in the hospital. This article says the suspect was known to police but they are waiting to formally identify him. 

Bondi Junction stabbing update: Six people killed, attacker shot dead in shopping centre stabbing attack (9news.com.au)

The commissioner added that police believe they know who the offender is but are awaiting formal processes to be undertaken.
"We know a little bit about this person but we're waiting to confirm his identification," she said.
"If in fact it is the person we think it is, we don't have fears for that person holding an ideation. In other words, that it's not a terrorism incident.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The man, with dark hair and a beard, was seen wearing a Kangaroos jersey and attacked people with a large knife.

He has been identified by police as 40-year-old man Joel Cauchi, who is believed to have previously lived in the Brisbane area.

He came to NSW about one month ago and shortly after coming to Sydney, he took possession of a storage facility.

link

Bondi is in the rich eastern suburbs area of Sydney (7 of the 10 most richest suburban locations in Australia are in this area) and there is a high Jewish population in the eastern suburbs.  Bondi Junction Westfield is the biggest shopping centre in Sydney with a lot of Jewish businesses.  So there was always a suspicion it was an Islamic terrorist attack.

But it wasn't.  The guy was just a schizo, probably affected by drugs. Sadly this is the world we live in and all it takes to ruin dozens and dozens of lives. :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, and-then said:

The cops were ruling out a terror attack within minutes of him being neutralized.  

Italian background with a history of mental health problems 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, and-then said:

Yes, they are extremely efficient. 

All reports say they were on the scene within minutes of the start of the attack. Several people called triple zero and the response was impressively swift. 

The deceased perpetrator. Joel Cauchi.

6f7085c9864e53787864f273b7184f1b

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Yes, they are extremely efficient. 

All reports say they were on the scene within minutes of the start of the attack. Several people called triple zero and the response was impressively swift. 

The deceased perpetrator.

6f7085c9864e53787864f273b7184f1b

Dam shame he was killed, he had a lot to pay for and the b****** got the easy way out.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Dam shame he was killed, he had a lot to pay for and the b****** got the easy way out.

He did get of easy, but was an immediate threat. The police officer who took him out ended the threat quickly. She is quite the hero here at the moment. 

I noticed recently in another case up north police opted to shoot a perpetrator in the leg. Then arrested him. They don't always shoot to kill but I think the situation required the action taken. 

He was mentally unstable so a trial would probably more focus on what triggered him. Sad that people get to that point. I wonder if he even had a motive or if his brain just broke at that moment. He had entered the centre twenty minutes earlier and returned with the knife according to CCTV. 

I saw one footage where he was chasing people and one bloke in a cap turned to front him, but he took another route around him and continued to chase people. He didn't have the guts to face anyone that might challenge his rampage. Another faced up on an escalator but I didn't see how that ended. 

I know a woman who had family there hiding in a shop. They were there for a few hours and all were ok. 

Lots of praise for the officers there in minutes. Was a quick response. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

He did get of easy, but was an immediate threat. The police officer who took him out ended the threat quickly. She is quite the hero here at the moment. 

I noticed recently in another case up north police opted to shoot a perpetrator in the leg. Then arrested him. They don't always shoot to kill but I think the situation required the action taken. 

He was mentally unstable so a trial would probably more focus on what triggered him. Sad that people get to that point. I wonder if he even had a motive or if his brain just broke at that moment. He had entered the centre twenty minutes earlier and returned with the knife according to CCTV. 

I saw one footage where he was chasing people and one bloke in a cap turned to front him, but he took another route around him and continued to chase people. He didn't have the guts to face anyone that might challenge his rampage. Another faced up on an escalator but I didn't see how that ended. 

I know a woman who had family there hiding in a shop. They were there for a few hours and all were ok. 

Lots of praise for the officers there in minutes. Was a quick response. 

Yes it sounds like Police were fast and very professional. I think the US police could learn a thing or two from them. That entire situation was horrible, I am glad the people you know made it out ok.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

he had a lot to pay for and the b****** got the easy way out

At least the families of the victims won't have to go through the courts knowing he is still alive. Even his family commended the police. Also saves money looking after him in custody and he will never be a threat again, just backfill.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Another stabbing in Sydney, motive unknown. This time the victim is a pastor at an Assyrian Orthodox church. Not much is known (or at least released) of the attacker, but he is in custody. Others were injured in the attack. 

I grew up 10 minutes from where this stabbing happened. 

Sydney bishop among multiple people allegedly stabbed at church in Sydney's south-west

A Sydney bishop is among multiple people stabbed during a church service in the city's south-west on Monday night.

The attack occurred at Christ The Good Shepherd Church in Wakeley, with graphic video showing a man lunging at Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel with something in his hand during a mass that was being broadcast online.

NSW Ambulance said three other people were also stabbed.

NSW Police said a male was arrested at the scene and "he has been removed from the church and taken to an undisclosed location"

More reading: source.

There is video of the incident online. I will not post due to its graphic nature, but many news sources will have variously edited versions. 

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Sad 2

Evil really does seem to be rising all around the world these days.  Who stabs an INFANT?  

5 hours ago, and-then said:

Evil really does seem to be rising all around the world these days.  Who stabs an INFANT?  

Lacking any firm details, I’d speculate that the decease mother and that child were the targets for some reason. 

• Sad 1

Damien Guerot, who fought off Bondi Junction attacker with bollard, offered permanent visa

The prime minister has declared the French man dubbed 'bollard man' who "bravely" confronted Joel Cauchi during a stabbing rampage at Bondi Junction can stay in Australia as long as he wants.

A video widely circulated on social media showed Damien Guerot holding a shopping centre bollard up to try and stop the knife-wielding Cauchi in his tracks on Saturday afternoon.

He then chased behind NSW Police Inspector Amy Scott, who shot the attacker dead, holding a chair as a potential weapon.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, and-then said:

I'd say that's why everyone is saying he was insane?

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2