Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Defense Support Program 'US DSP' and Ron Regher

Claims have been made recently about a UFO 'incident', where a satellite in the US Defense Support Program is supposed to have detected a UFO moving at very high speed - 22,000 mph was the claim.  Meteoric speed might be a good and apt term for that, more later about this very interesting number.

So, having remembered the name Ron Regher, I decided to dig around... and I have found a lot.  I'm going to have to spread this out over several posts, so this is really just a placeholder, with a few hints to whet your appetite for what is to come.  Some of it is rather surprising.  And not in a good way...

So, who is Ron Regher?  What does or doesn't he know?  Perhaps more importantly, what can he show as actual evidence?

A little background - UFOlogy is at a bit of a crisis point, imo.  There are high levels of demand for evidence to show that aliens are visiting (or have visited) earth.  There is currently zero supply to meet that demand.  Is the bar too high?  It's set at what I think is a pretty reasonable level.  Obviously, if they were visiting openly, there would have to be big announcements, we'd have plentiful videos showing the actual aliens and their craft and technology.  However, the claim is that they are not visiting openly and have shacked up in cahoots with just one or two chosen governments, or that they just crashed here, but landed on already protected US soil so the evidence could be covered up for whatever reason.  Sigh.  Anyway the current consensus is that we need some sort of verifiable evidence, like a video that is acknowledged as real by the defense force of whatever country, and that shows impossible manuevers, or perhaps radar data that is in a proper spreadsheet format and has been analysed by an actual expert with that radar who can fully verify it cannot be a spurious or otherwise false return, and can show us the geometrical/physical velocity calculations that were done.  That sort of evidence.

So, one of the candidates is Ron Regehr, who tells us he worked on the DSP satellite detection system (which, by the way is being phased out as the tech is getting old and isn't giving the results they wanted - more about that later too).

So, let's see if we can unravel this.

Before we proceed.. a small request...?  Some of you will know why I'm posting this.  PLEASE, if you wish to contribute to this thread, do not be tempted to toss any personal remarks around or refer to the thread which motivated me.  It is an attempt to politely gather as much info as we can find, and get at the truth.  If you find fault with anything I link to, or any conclusion I come to, feel free to point out my shortcomings while keeping it civil, OK?

First up, there's a bit of an elephant (not) in the room, but I invite him to join in...  Ron Regher has a login at UM!  He posted just 3 times shortly after joining in 2009, and then popped back to lurk a few times up to 2011.  It's all a bit strange.  A poster called Evangium had apparently organised a question and answer session with Ron where he was going to answer questions that were put to him in writing in advance at this forum.  Here's the thread:
https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/169354-ron-regehr-interview-have-your-say/#comments

As you can see, the interview never happened.  Evangium, if you're still around, we'd love to know what transpired.  I have my own theory as to why Ron bailed out.. maybe I'll tell you later - but I think you can probably figure it out, by reading the seriously good questions.  May I suggest you read Badeskov's questions, as a guide.... Bade knows his stuff, to put it mildly

Anyway... where is Ron today?  Well, he was at the Roswell Museum website, but he seems to have very recently been removed - I hope he's OK...

But, hey, it's the Interwebz, and you can't hide... here's Ron at archive.org:
https://web.archive.org/web/20240115070501/https://www.roswellufomuseum.com/ron-regehr
(try not to grimace as you read it...)

In a strange twist, that page was only removed a coupla days back.....Interestingly, here's his bio, that was also removed but quite a while back:
https://web.archive.org/web/20080531093312/https://www.roswellufomuseum.com/bios/regehrbio.htm

There's some interesting wording in his Bio...  About the DSP, he says:

At Aerojet, Ron was part of the team which developed specifications for one of our nation’s top spy satellites, the Defense Support Program or DSP.  The team developed ground data processing software and interfaces with other program elements.

That's it.  He doesn't say he was involved in deployment, calibration or operation, nor does he refer to any analytical stuff he did for interpreting data from the satellites.  Note also that we simply have his word - I have been unable to find any other reference to his employment, nor any science literature.

As a lot of the DSP was classified, that is not all that unusual, but certainly it makes it hard to verify any calculations of velocity that the DSPs may or may not be able to do.  I do note that in another funny coincidence, that not only was the claim made of 22,000mph velocity.... but also the satellites were staioned in an orbit above the earth of... go on, have a guess..! :)   Does this sort of 'Chinese Whisper' remind you of anything?  Remember, keep it civil please!

Anyway, that's it from me tonight, I'm half asleep.  I may be back tomorrow, but I'm enjoying my weekend.  Mowing.  Eeeurgh.

PS - I can't wait to get back and look at that highly professional hand drawn picture of the satellite allegedly turning... I hope they don't remove that from the web also...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

23 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

A poster called Evangium had apparently organised a question and answer session with Ron where he was going to answer questions that were put to him in writing in advance at this forum.  Here's the thread:
https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/169354-ron-regehr-interview-have-your-say/#comments

As you can see, the interview never happened.  Evangium, if you're still around, we'd love to know what transpired. 

A couple of members have asked me about this interview over the last few days so I dug back through the archives to see what actually happened.

As generally suspected, the interview didn't happen - Evangium had prompted me to set up the thread to field questions that he would pass on to Ron, but after some time no answers ever materialized. When I contacted him, he said that Ron had been busy with other commitments but that he had sincerely intended to reply to the questions.

Not long after that, Evangium himself stopped responding (this was 14 years ago and he hasn't been back since).

At the time, I said this to someone else who asked me about it:

Unfortunately the member who was conducting the interview and communications with Ron (Evangium) disappeared off the face of the Earth last month and stopped responding to me, i'm a bit annoyed that he asked me to set all this up just to disappear without a word.

So at the moment the interview is in limbo, from what he told me a while ago Ron had responded to him and they were corresponding, he'd been waiting to receive the answers from him when he disappeared off the site and I haven't heard from him since.

So that's basically what happened with regard to the interview.

It's a long shot, but @Evangium - if you are reading this, I'd be interested to know what happened on your end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

18 minutes ago, Saru said:

It's a long shot, but @Evangium - if you are reading this, I'd be interested to know what happened on your end.

That's fantastic info, Saru, thanks for fleshing out the story, and yes, it would be great to hear from either Evangium or Ron.

BTW, to be just a little conspiratorial...  As I mentioned above, Ron Regehr's homepage on that roswellufomuseum site has been taken down.  That happened between last Thursday and today, after it had been there since at least June 2023, probably earlier.  Bit of a coincidence that we start talking about him, and...

Keyser Soze The Usual Suspects GIF - Keyser Soze The Usual ...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

BTW, to be just a little conspiratorial...  As I mentioned above, Ron Regehr's homepage on that roswellufomuseum site has been taken down.  That happened between last Thursday and today, after it had been there since at least June 2023, probably earlier. 

Bit of a coincidence that we start talking about him, and...

They got him.

men in black - Change in neuralyzer color in MIB films - Movies & TV Stack  Exchange

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

A couple of quick points before I start up my mower.....

1. There is a small error in my first post.  In the PS I said this:

8 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

I can't wait to get back and look at that highly professional hand drawn picture of the satellite allegedly turning...

Woops, it was the UFO that was alleged to have turned, not the detecting satellite.  Sorry if that confused anyone.

2. The DSP satellites were designed to look down and detect missile and aircraft launches, not up.  It was apparently discovered that they had the ability to detect activity that was above them, as they had quite a wide angle of detection.  However, and it's a big however, I've been unable to find how that all worked so far, although I haven't finished wading through all my sources.  If anyone knows more about this, and how the DSP would use its detections to work out trajectories and speeds, feel free to chime in.  I'm all ears.  Ron, are you out there, or are you still hiding out, terrified that we are going to ask those scary, but simple questions...?

3. In the rather vague claims made to date, there is no explanation or data to accompany the claim that the supposed UFO had a velocity of 22,000mph, and that it made a sharp turn.  No calculation, no methodology, just the claim that Ron calculated it.  There was this picture (and forgive my laughter..):
FastWalker_Trajectory.jpeg
..and this unlabelled and unexplained "data":
USDSP_TOPSECRETFILE.jpeg
both of which came from here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20040225055544/http:/www.debshome.com/FastWalker.html

In keeping with some of the links above, those images are apparently no longer on the web and of course any identifying or explanatory detail that might have been on a larger view .. has been cropped away..

Hmm.  "Debshome"???  Ah yes, that's a very reliable source for such things.{/sarcasm}  I'm sorry, but that first thing shows a few hastily drawn lines on what appears to be a handkerchief, and the second is of course just a reference to the fact that something detected something..  No numbers, no way to calculate a velocity or indeed anything.

That is supposed to be evidence?  Seriously?   And it gets worse.  There's more to come....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It could have been another satellite, there were at least 8000 manmade orbiting objects out there traveling at about 22 000mph at the time of this detection. 

(Today we have 25,857 artificial objects in orbit above the Earth, including 5,465 operational satellites).

...Or it could have been a meteor of some sort, approaching the Earth at relatively slow speed, entering the field of view of the satellites sensors, stayed there for 9 min, and moved away at a higher speed then witch it came in...far too fast to be on orbit at that altitude, and rather naturally, flying off into space, getting a little boost from the Earth in the process. 

There is nothing to say that there was anything unusual or unnatural about the occurance.  There were no "sharp turns" and absolutely "no U-turns" as some people have claimed!

To me this is just another one of those Unknowns, we have no idea what it was and we probably never will.

Over to you C.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hazzard said:

there were at least 8000 manmade orbiting objects out there traveling at about 22 000mph at the time of this detection.

Indeed.  And it seems like a mighty interesting coincidink that the quoted speed it was supposedly detected at, was also the exact same figure that was constantly thrown around as the height above Earth for the DSP satellite - 22,000 miles.  A quirky coincidence..?, or did someone just remember that figure from somewhere so it was added into the myth?  Without the actual calculations, we cannot know.  And those two pics are absolutely useless.  How could anyone present those with a straight face, as 'evidence'?  It's laughable.

Where are the actual tracking coordinates, the distances (how were they measured?), the temperature that triggered the IR detection?  Note that if the body was above or anywhere near the DSP, which seems to be the inference, 22,000 miles up is way above where a meteorite (or anything) starts to heat up - there are effectively zero air atoms/molecules up there..

The DSP-sats were designed to be looking down at the ground.  They probably used a simple ground radar detection system for getting the distance of say, a missile that was launched.  But as the DSP-sat spun around to look upwards, it would need a different method for a small object.  As its main detection capability was IR, a meteorite (or an energy efficient UFO!) would likely not show up that way.  If Ron expects us to buy into this 'ability', he needs to explain how it did it, and also show the maths.

In my humble opinion, he ran from the interview as he was being asked those exact questions.  If he doesn't respond, then we'll never know, and there is no way that his anecdotes can count as evidence.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Imnsho Sounds like way back over a decade someone feared getting called out and having to put up or shut up,

Then just when they thought it safe to go back in the water more focus in our on them and more hiding, kind of reminds me of a bigfooter I know when I was razzing about muldum never backs up his bs with evidence just his words this bigfooter told me meldum won't do anything he doesn't have full control over questions etc so questions he doesn't like won't get asked.

You know I guess it's different for the guys who use these type subjects to gain profit when they get called out and fail it's not just a humiliating blow to their ego but their wallet too

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Im not sure about the specs of the IR telescope on board the DSP satellites, but do we know if it had a wide angle lens?

If so, couldnt that be responsible for the "curved trajectory"?

Figure 1 from An efficient correction method of wide-angle lens distortion  for surveillance systems | Semantic Scholar

Edited by Hazzard
  • Like 3

Thanks for doing this ChrLzs

I always assumed it was a simple meteroid.    But now wondering if it was anything at all .....  

Incidentally

"At Aerojet, Ron was part of the team which developed specifications for one of our nation’s top spy satellites, the Defense Support Program or DSP.  The team developed ground data processing software and interfaces with other program elements."

Could simply mean that he was a filing clerk.    It's no different to me saying I was part of the team that handled the construction of the new Hong Kong airport on Chek Lap Kok*.    I'm always suspicious of anyone making claims like this. 

* this is absolutely true - but not nearly as impressive as it might sound:  I was responsible for printing off some of the insurance documents and ensuring the correct  premiums were paid on time to the underwriters.  Just one of my many responsibilities as a senior clerk at a large insurance brokers office.in England. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2024 at 9:26 AM, Essan said:

Thanks for doing this ChrLzs

I always assumed it was a simple meteroid.    But now wondering if it was anything at all .....  

Incidentally

"At Aerojet, Ron was part of the team which developed specifications for one of our nation’s top spy satellites, the Defense Support Program or DSP.  The team developed ground data processing software and interfaces with other program elements."

Could simply mean that he was a filing clerk.    It's no different to me saying I was part of the team that handled the construction of the new Hong Kong airport on Chek Lap Kok*.    I'm always suspicious of anyone making claims like this. 

* this is absolutely true - but not nearly as impressive as it might sound:  I was responsible for printing off some of the insurance documents and ensuring the correct  premiums were paid on time to the underwriters.  Just one of my many responsibilities as a senior clerk at a large insurance brokers office.in England. 

When someone states they are part of a team don't provide the exact job description or title, it generally/usually/normally means they were aren't that important or were a bit player in the overall team architecture. Exhibit A, Bob Lazar.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2024 at 8:29 PM, Hazzard said:

Im not sure about the specs of the IR telescope on board the DSP satellites, but do we know if it had a wide angle lens?

If so, couldnt that be responsible for the "curved trajectory"?

Figure 1 from An efficient correction method of wide-angle lens distortion  for surveillance systems | Semantic Scholar

Yes, the designers of the system would have to factor that into account, and yes, that would be included in the maths (which aren't really all that difficult - it's just simple geometry.  It's getting all the pieces of the puzzle right, and not forgetting any..).

Thing is, field curvature is inevitable - it affects *all* optical lenses, even if only slightly - but it's quite easy to build into the formulas used.  For wide angle or fisheyes, it is VERY significant and becomes a huge issue as you get further from the centre of the field of view, as your images show extremely well.

Sadly, it appears we are not worthy of EVER seeing a single calculation, let alone the formulas, let alone the logic and error ranges, etc, that a GENUINE researcher or designer would use.  The problem is that folks like me can verify those calculations, in other words if Ron shows up and hasn't got what he claims to have, I will be pointing that out in polite but strong terms.

The other problem for Ron is that those sort of calculations do nothing to expose national security secrets - it would just be a table of data readings, showing things like angles and distances and timings, and then it would show the logic used, an explanation of the key fields, error ranges and assumptions, and finally, the actual formulas and calculations.

BTW, there's a huge trap in all that... :D   Theoretically, Ron could possibly find an analysis that he could try to shovel a pile of false numbers into, that would eventually lead to the 22,000mph claim.  In other words he could kinda 'reverse engineer' the table of data and use what appear to be  appropriate formulas. ... However .... :D let's just say that in amongst those three things I listed (angles, distances and timings)... how can I put this... there might be something missing, or there might be a missing piece of logic... let's just leave it at that.  But think in 3D....

Look, I'll be delighted if Ron turns up, eager to show us all the paperwork, even if redacted as necessary.  But if he dares to try to bluff his way through it, I (and I might call on some other much bigger guns than me..!) he will be thoroughly busted.

Anyways, if anyone finds a current reference to Ron Regehr, let us know and I'll email him.  Let's see how that works out! :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If Ron or any friend of his can make the numbers dance to fit his narrative, makes the whole premise troubling.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2024 at 4:52 PM, Trelane said:

If Ron or any friend of his can make the numbers dance to fit his narrative, makes the whole premise troubling.

I dont think we need to "worry" about Ronnie showing up anytime soon. 😊

... or the spam birdie for that matter.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hazzard said:

I dont think we need to "worry" about Ronnie showing up anytime soon. 😊

... or the spam birdie for that matter.

He does seem to have gone AWOL

• Like 3