Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Explosives-filled shipwreck has safety work delayed as objects found

Still Waters

A new, delayed timeline has been set for safety works on a shipwreck full of explosives after a new survey detected 18 "metallic objects" around it.

The SS Richard Montgomery beached along the Thames Estuary in 1944 eventually sinking with 1,400 tonnes of explosive cargo on board.

Decades later, government efforts began to try and remove the masts in case they fell onto the cargo and detonated.

The aim now is to carry out the mast removal work within the next year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68787845

• Like 3

On 4/13/2024 at 5:26 PM, Still Waters said:

The SS Richard Montgomery beached along the Thames Estuary in 1944 eventually sinking with 1,400 tonnes of explosive cargo on board.

When he was Mayor of London Boris Johnson had the idea that, to make the lives of Londoners more peaceful, he would shut down Heathrow Airport and build a new one (at a cost of many £billions). The problem... this new airport would be in the Thames Estuary, right where the SS Richard Montgomery lies. This idea was popular with some Londoners, but not so much with those living near the wreck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

When he was Mayor of London Boris Johnson had the idea that, to make the lives of Londoners more peaceful, he would shut down Heathrow Airport and build a new one (at a cost of many £billions). The problem... this new airport would be in the Thames Estuary, right where the SS Richard Montgomery lies. This idea was popular with some Londoners, but not so much with those living near the wreck.

Cape May Beach has ordinance issues too. Some still undiscovered. 

@Doc Socks Junior When we were installing the sea level gauges I was making jokes about hitting a bomb with the auger.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

@Doc Socks Junior When we were installing the sea level gauges I was making jokes about hitting a bomb with the auger.

You had a blast, I'm sure! 

I'm pretty sure they mine around the national labs, but I'm not generally sneaking around through their fences. The most ordnance I worry about generally whatever the local ranchers are packing.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Doc Socks Junior said:

You had a blast, I'm sure! 

I'm pretty sure they mine around the national labs, but I'm not generally sneaking around through their fences. The most ordnance I worry about generally whatever the local ranchers are packing.

And ranchers are complete science heads or complete rubes. There is no happy medium. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Piney said:

I never knew that. What were they from?

I would imagine the U-boat 60 miles off Point Pleasant still has a few live torpedoes on her.

Edited by Antigonos

14 minutes ago, Antigonos said:

I never knew that. What were they from?

I would imagine the U-boat 60 miles off Point Pleasant still has a few live torpedoes on her.

They were storing, testing and dumping munitions during and after WW1 and 2 and there are several ammo bunkers there. 

Ft. Miles is one. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Piney said:

They were storing, testing and dumping munitions during and after WW1 and 2 and there are several ammo bunkers there. 

Ft. Miles is one. 

That’s fascinating local history, can’t believe I never came across it before.

I always wanted to go scuba diving there, glad I didn’t. My luck I’d be the one a-hole who accidentally blows himself up. Or I’d reel something in while fishing. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Antigonos said:

That’s fascinating local history, can’t believe I never came across it before.

I always wanted to go scuba diving there, glad I didn’t. My luck I’d be the one a-hole who accidentally blows himself up. Or I’d reel something in while fishing. 

My brother did. Including the concrete ship but he's advanced and owns the good stuff. Not a rental 80 rig.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Piney said:

My brother did. Including the concrete ship but he's advanced and owns the good stuff. Not a rental 80 rig.

Very cool. I dove a couple of easily accessible wrecks but never went advanced. I was always wary of going into risky conditions, like cave diving or a really difficult wreck like the Doria. Looking back I would have loved to have dived the U-boat but after what happened to Chrissy Rouse and his dad it shook me at the time and I never went advanced. Kind of regret it now.

Your brother have anything to say about what it was like diving the concrete ship?

Edited by Antigonos
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Antigonos said:

Very cool. I dove a couple of easily accessible wrecks but never went advanced. I was always wary of going into risky conditions, like cave diving or a really difficult wreck like the Doria. Looking back I would have loved to have dived the U-boat but after what happened to Chrissy Rouse and his dad it shook me at the time and I never went advanced. Kind of regret it now.

Your brother have anything to say about what it was like diving the concrete ship?

Like diving a cinderblock pile with zero visibility. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

Like diving a cinderblock pile with zero visibility. 

Oh hell no

• Thanks 1