Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sydney church stabbing: crowds clash with police after bishop stabbed during mass

Still Waters

1 hour ago, susieice said:

A lot of shootings here in the US have been young kids like that too. 

Maybe it's time to bring out the leather belt again....<_<

48 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

Maybe it's time to bring out the leather belt again....<_<

Not sure whether this is the right option to solve the issue. This might exacerbate the issues further.

An Australian-first study published in The Medical Journal of Australia today has found the maltreatment of children is widespread across the country.

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2023/218/6/australian-first-study-finds-child-maltreatment-widespread

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Yes, Apostasy is still practiced by an intolerant religion, even in the 21st century.

Who recanted religion? 

Apparently the kids said 

Why is he insulting my prophet 

Before stabbing the priests. 

This kid had been in trouble previously over knives. 

The kid is lucky. A raucous crowd showed up demanding the police hand him over. Of course they didn't. 

Well done the parishioners who subdued the attacker. 

Two knife attacks. Idiots. It's clear that these attacks will fail and the perpetrator will be caught or killed. It's a no win situation. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ajay0 said:

It's unfortunate that priests are now the targets of the mentally ill. 

Interesting that nearly every time a religious motive is assigned to an attack, everyone quickly defaults to the claim that the person is insane.  I guess there's no more pure evil these days.  Nah, they can't be evil so they must be nutters.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Ajay0 said:

An Australian-first study published in The Medical Journal of Australia today has found the maltreatment of children is widespread across the country.

Giving a kid an appropriate wack is not maltreatment, it's teaching them boundaries and respect for themselves and everyone around them so they can live in society, which they have to conform to or go to jail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ajay0 said:

Not sure whether this is the right option to solve the issue. This might exacerbate the issues further.

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2023/218/6/australian-first-study-finds-child-maltreatment-widespread

Well I meant it more as a joke.  I got a few beltings as a kid, not from my parents but from the Catholic school I went to in primary school, so I definitely wouldn't recommend such a method.  Those were the days.  :P  But definitely things have turned 360 since then and there is a youth population in the western world that doesn't grow with the same respect.  That is a fact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2024 at 8:23 AM, psyche101 said:

It was a religious conflict. More than likely this is a Muslim Christian conflict. The priest slammed Islam on YouTube. This is more likely religious retaliation based on anti Islam messages.

Yes, it appears to be that.

The attacker had called out in Arabic during the incident that the priest had abused his religion and prophet.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2024/apr/16/sydney-church-stabbing-attack-firebrand-preacher-wakeley-ntwnfb

Imho, historical memories of the Assyrian genocide during the early part of the twentieth century by Ottoman forces and Kurds could partly explain the existing tensions between the Assyrian Christian and Muslim communities in this area.

In such hotspots of ethnic and religious tensions, there should be more police intelligence work, patrolling and surveillance to nip any issues in the bud.

Edited by Ajay0
  • Like 2

On 4/16/2024 at 5:28 PM, openozy said:

Giving a kid an appropriate wack is not maltreatment, it's teaching them boundaries and respect for themselves and everyone around them so they can live in society, which they have to conform to or go to jail.

IMO, NOT disciplining them is abuseThey are children and only learn through experience.  Parents are totally responsible for the kinds of experience they encounter.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, and-then said:

IMO, NOT disciplining them is abuseThey are children and only learn through experience.  Parents are totally responsible for the kinds of experience they encounter.

That's right and most creatures discipline their young. As long as it's done out of love not anger and praise given when deserved. I believe lack of discipline and structure is why society is becoming more violent. Putting kids in time out isolation just makes them seethe with hatred and messes their mind up. Quick smack, over and done with and then back to a happy household 👍.

• Thanks 1

There is a VAST gulf between a quick smack on the hand followed by an explanation and “getting the belt out”. 

• Like 3

On 4/18/2024 at 8:43 PM, and-then said:

And this kid was probably taught by his parents to attack anyone who they see as disrespecting their beloved Mohamed.

Maybe it's the parents that need discipline.

• Like 3

On 4/16/2024 at 3:52 AM, openozy said:

I agree but we did elect them, supposedly lol.

Same in the uk.but vote the other lot ..exactly the same outcome.

They're all puppets following an agenda.

• Thanks 3

Tik Tok.

• Thanks 1

A bishop who was stabbed at a Sydney church on Monday has said he is "recovering quickly" and forgives his alleged attacker.

In an audio message, Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel also called for the community to remain calm.

Police say the attack, which was livestreamed and injured four people, was a religiously motivated terror act

A 16-year-old boy - who was also injured - has been arrested over the incident, but has not been charged with any offence. Authorities have repeatedly declined to state the suspected beliefs of the boy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-68814813

• Like 3

Australian police charge five teenagers in Sydney cleric's stabbing

SYDNEY, April 25 (Reuters) - Australian police said on Thursday they charged five teenagers with terrorism-related offences in investigations following the stabbing of an Assyrian Christian bishop while he was giving a livestreamed sermon earlier this month.
The five boys, who were due in children's court on Thursday, were arrested on Wednesday in the Sydney region. Police said they were associates of a 16-year-old boy previously charged in the knifing of Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel, who was injured in the attack on April 15 at his church.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2024 at 12:38 AM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

There is a VAST gulf between a quick smack on the hand followed by an explanation and “getting the belt out”. 

Agreed.  That's why the only time I saw a belt was when I'd done something so profoundly dumb that it could have cost me my life.  I got exactly two whippings with a belt.  I remember them well and not because of the pain.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, and-then said:

I remember them well and not because of the pain

You remember why you got a whooping 👍 same here and when I look back I did deserve it and respect my parents for the lesson. It didn't make me violent or hateful towards them, I thought good on you. 

• Like 3

On 4/26/2024 at 12:48 AM, openozy said:

You remember why you got a whooping 👍 same here and when I look back I did deserve it and respect my parents for the lesson. It didn't make me violent or hateful towards them, I thought good on you. 

I think that most children are like that when they KNOW that their parents love them.  Even when I disagreed with them or got angry with them for a punishment, I never stopped believing in their love for me and that makes ALL the difference. :yes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Australian police say teens planned to buy guns, attack Jews after stabbing priest

Four teenagers plotted to buy guns and attack Jewish people days after a bishop was stabbed in a Sydney church, according to police documents cited in news reports on Monday.

Five teens, aged 14 to 17, were charged in a Sydney court on Thursday last week with a range of offenses, including conspiring to engage in or planning a terrorist act. Police alleged they all “adhered to a religiously motivated, violent extremist ideology” and were part of a network that included a 16-year-old boy charged with stabbing Assyrian Orthodox Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel on April 15 as a church service was being streamed online.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/australian-police-say-teens-planned-to-buy-guns-attack-jews-after-stabbing-priest/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Australian police say teens planned to buy guns, attack Jews after stabbing priest

Four teenagers plotted to buy guns and attack Jewish people days after a bishop was stabbed in a Sydney church, according to police documents cited in news reports on Monday.

Five teens, aged 14 to 17, were charged in a Sydney court on Thursday last week with a range of offenses, including conspiring to engage in or planning a terrorist act. Police alleged they all “adhered to a religiously motivated, violent extremist ideology” and were part of a network that included a 16-year-old boy charged with stabbing Assyrian Orthodox Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel on April 15 as a church service was being streamed online.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/australian-police-say-teens-planned-to-buy-guns-attack-jews-after-stabbing-priest/

They should be deported, Oz was a great place before these religious fanatics were allowed in.

15 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

And now we have a can of worms completely opened.

The Muslim community is saying the police acted without consulting them.

I'm not sure I see the problem with that but anyway. 

And the Imam's have got together and want to change the title of religious based terrorism.

Quite frankly I don't understand their argument as the wording seems properly descriptive. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2024/apr/26/sydney-counter-terror-raids-australian-muslim-leaders-call-out-questionable-law-enforcement-tactics-arrests-ntwnfb

Representatives of the Australian Muslim community have called out what they called “questionable law enforcement tactics” after seven minors were arrested and six of them charged with counter-terrorism-related offences this week.

Three major bodies, the Australian National Imams Council, the Alliance of Australian Muslims and the Australian Muslim Advocacy Network, have also demanded the government revise Australia’scounter-terrorism laws, saying they “target specific communities”.

She said the Muslim community was outraged and had been isolated by the incidents of the past week, and called for a revision of Australia’s counter-terrorism laws to eliminate the classification of “religiously motivated” terrorism.

“It is imperative that our legal frameworks reflect the complexity of these acts and avoid simplistic attributions that target specific communities,” Abdo-Sultan said.

“The presumption that terrorism is inherently tied to religion is not only inaccurate but harmful.

Well like I say I'm confused.

To my experience, a great deal of terrorism seems to be inextricably linked to religion. There's quite a history of such. I get that Muslims are suffering Islamophobia because of the incidence, however, making such illogical statements doesn't help. It's just looks like an attempted cover up. It's not like fundamental Islam isn't a gravity well for terrorists. Trying to hide that just makes things worse again. IMHO the Muslim community isn't doing enough to warrant the name change request.