Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

GB News accused of fuelling Net Zero conspiracy theory

pellinore

Posted (edited)

GB News has been criticised for peddling a conspiracy theory that reducing carbon emissions will kill off half the population.

On Sunday’s The Neil Oliver Show, guest Jasmine Birtles falsely claimed that governments’ net-zero plans had a covert ‘depopulation’ agenda, aiming to wipe out 7.5billion people worldwide.

Presenter Neil Oliver, 57, did not challenge or correct her misinformation and instead called the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, adopted by all United Nations members in 2025, ‘anti-human’.

GB News accused of fuelling conspiracy theory about 'population dying' | Metro News

Edited by pellinore
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

GB News is like Viz.   Just not nearly as funny.

Anyone who takes anything they say seriously should not be allowed outside unless they are on a leash and have at least 2 responsible adults accompanying them at all times.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

I feel that GB News gets into alot of hot water because it actually questions what is going on rather than looking for headlines that are made up or based on the flimsiest of lobbying power / evidence like the mainstream media. 

Net zero is a con for sure. And it will cost lives for sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used to have a certain respect and admiration for Neil Oliver as a presenter of history and archaeological documentaries, but of late that has all gone. He has prostituted his celebrity status in the service of populist conspiracy theories that he regularly preaches upon. I used to think he had some academic credibility as someone who valued and understood science and the scientific method, but his uncritical stance against climate change and vaccination, as well as his deranged notions about world domination by a clandestine elite, place him firmly among the lunatic-fringe. And he even has that stare!!  

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

I feel that GB News gets into alot of hot water because it actually questions what is going on rather than looking for headlines that are made up or based on the flimsiest of lobbying power / evidence like the mainstream media. 

Net Zero is a con because what actually happens is we get other countries to generate CO2 emissions for us.   It doesn't reduce global emissions.   In terms of lives - well, yes, given poorer health and safety in those countries where we now do our manufacturing, I suppose it does cost them.  

Buy hey, I can buy a t-shirt for £2.99!  Yipee!    I can afford to buy an new one every week and save on washing - that cuts my carbon emissions even more!!!!   Who cares if some of the slaves making t-shirts in some town in Bangladesh I never heard of die in a fire?!!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Get real! Net zero is humanity's best response to climate change. Net Zero may very well cost lives, but climate change will cost a helluva lot more and the damage will be irreparable.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I used to have a certain respect and admiration for Neil Oliver as a presenter of history and archaeological documentaries, but of late that has all gone. 

He's gone a bit David Icke. Not quite as far though.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pellinore said:

He's gone a bit David Icke. Not quite as far though.

Just read that he parted company with the Royal Society  of Edinburgh (RSE) last September, resigning as a fellow. A spokesperson for the society said:

'he did not take part in any RSE business ... it was clear he understood that his current views on various matters, widely aired on television, put him at odds with scientific and broader academic learning within the Society.' [The Times, 8 September 2023] 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Essan said:

Net Zero is a con because what actually happens is we get other countries to generate CO2 emissions for us.   It doesn't reduce global emissions.   In terms of lives - well, yes, given poorer health and safety in those countries where we now do our manufacturing, I suppose it does cost them.  

Buy hey, I can buy a t-shirt for £2.99!  Yipee!    I can afford to buy an new one every week and save on washing - that cuts my carbon emissions even more!!!!   Who cares if some of the slaves making t-shirts in some town in Bangladesh I never heard of die in a fire?!!!

No no, I mean it is a con wherever the CO2 gets generated. I predict that within 15 years the people will wake up and realise or we'll be sold a lie that we did it, saved the planet, against all odds. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Get real! Net zero is humanity's best response to climate change. Net Zero may very well cost lives, but climate change will cost a helluva lot more and the damage will be irreparable.

I love that you have bought into the idea that we matter in the grand scale of climate change. But we don't really dent the stats whatever we do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

I love that you have bought into the idea that we matter in the grand scale of climate change. But we don't really dent the stats whatever we do.

You have clearly looked into the matter much more than the many scientists I know ;)    

And obviously all the record rainfall and heatwaves over the past 18 months are a figment of our imagination

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Essan said:

You have clearly looked into the matter much more than the many scientists I know ;)    

And obviously all the record rainfall and heatwaves over the past 18 months are a figment of our imagination

Yes to the first part.

There isn't record rainfall and heatwaves in the last 18 months. Just look at the wording closely when it gets reported. The devil is in the detail.

As I say, 15 years from now when sea levels still haven't risen and fish aren't boiling in the sea, it'll have dawned on most people that it is all about money not climate, not people, not animals, just money. 

2 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

I used to have a certain respect and admiration for Neil Oliver as a presenter of history and archaeological documentaries, but of late that has all gone. He has prostituted his celebrity status in the service of populist conspiracy theories that he regularly preaches upon. I used to think he had some academic credibility as someone who valued and understood science and the scientific method, but his uncritical stance against climate change and vaccination, as well as his deranged notions about world domination by a clandestine elite, place him firmly among the lunatic-fringe. And he even has that stare!!  

Unfortunately he’s not the first either. Others have sold their souls for paychecks as well.

Yes to the first part.

There isn't record rainfall and heatwaves in the last 18 months. Just look at the wording closely when it gets reported. The devil is in the detail.

As I say, 15 years from now when sea levels still haven't risen and fish aren't boiling in the sea, it'll have dawned on most people that it is all about money not climate, not people, not animals, just money. 

Oh, so where do you work?  Corpernicus? NOAA?  BoM?  MetO?  Woods Hole? 

And surely you must be looking at the same data as me?  How can you say that worldwide record high temperatures and rainfall are not occurring when the data clearly shows they are?   

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Essan said:

Oh, so where do you work?  Corpernicus? NOAA?  BoM?  MetO?  Woods Hole? 

And surely you must be looking at the same data as me?  How can you say that worldwide record high temperatures and rainfall are not occurring when the data clearly shows they are?   

Who knows where you are looking???? Really odd how the correlation with so called climate change is mirrored by global thermal expansion within the oceans. Nothing to do with CO2, unless your lobbyist paymasters want you to do 'science' lol

Just now, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Who knows where you are looking???? Really odd how the correlation with so called climate change is mirrored by global thermal expansion within the oceans. Nothing to do with CO2, unless your lobbyist paymasters want you to do 'science' lol

I am looking at the data provided by a vast network of correctly positioned weather stations across the planet. 

What do you think causes global thermal expansion of the oceans?  What effect on global temperature do you thinking doubling the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere has?  Bearing in mind that even 180ppm is more than enough to mean the planet is equitable for life across almost all of its surface rather than being a frozen desert? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Essan said:

I am looking at the data provided by a vast network of correctly positioned weather stations across the planet. 

What do you think causes global thermal expansion of the oceans?  What effect on global temperature do you thinking doubling the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere has?  Bearing in mind that even 180ppm is more than enough to mean the planet is equitable for life across almost all of its surface rather than being a frozen desert? 

Oof, they've got ya.

No, CO2 doesn't cause global expansion in the oceans, unless you're a lobbyist or one of their servant scientists.

18 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Oof, they've got ya.

No, CO2 doesn't cause global expansion in the oceans, unless you're a lobbyist or one of their servant scientists.

So what does?  

What causes record temperatures and rainfall? 

And record high tides? 

And if you think it's a conspiracy and all about money, who makes more?  An oil sheik or a meteorologist? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Essan said:

So what does?  

What causes record temperatures and rainfall? 

And record high tides? 

And if you think it's a conspiracy and all about money, who makes more?  An oil sheik or a meteorologist? 

Thermal expansion in the oceans.

If a mmeteorologist earned more than a sheikh or a lobbyist, then the CO2 debate would be put to bed very quickly.

As for record high tides... after record lows for a few hundred years... what does that mean? Plus tides have been higher and lower. We are inside a normal range right now and will be for a very long time.

Thermal expansion in the oceans.

If a mmeteorologist earned more than a sheikh or a lobbyist, then the CO2 debate would be put to bed very quickly.

As for record high tides... after record lows for a few hundred years... what does that mean? Plus tides have been higher and lower. We are inside a normal range right now and will be for a very long time.

If people like you listened to meteorologists rather than sheiks and lobbyists, then yes the CO2 debate would be put to be very quickly. 

But money talks and the sheeple follow. 

And you still haven't addressed the issue of why thermal expansion is occurring.  Why are the oceans so much warmer?  

And why are you denying record high temperatures and rainfall despite the raw data clearly showing this is what we are experiencing? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Essan said:

If people like you listened to meteorologists rather than sheiks and lobbyists, then yes the CO2 debate would be put to be very quickly. 

But money talks and the sheeple follow. 

And you still haven't addressed the issue of why thermal expansion is occurring.  Why are the oceans so much warmer?  

And why are you denying record high temperatures and rainfall despite the raw data clearly showing this is what we are experiencing? 

Thermal expansion is the Norm. It isn't caused by CO2. It is normal activity. 

As for oceans warming, again it is normal, we have been at the lower end of normal ranges for a long while.

The real question, with oceans warming, where is the flooded coastlines we were promised? Remember the doomsday maps, new coasts, how the UK and US will look? Lol

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Thermal expansion is the Norm. It isn't caused by CO2. It is normal activity. 

As for oceans warming, again it is normal, we have been at the lower end of normal ranges for a long while.

The real question, with oceans warming, where is the flooded coastlines we were promised? Remember the doomsday maps, new coasts, how the UK and US will look? Lol

What causes thermal expansion?   Come on, you've been studying this for decades (so you claim) ;)     Oceans don't just get warmer without a reason

And if you agree there's thermal expansion, then maybe you explain why it's not causing more coastal flooding?  ;)    

(Although you might want to check out the reports from last week's record high tides and widespread flooding around the UK coast before you do so; maybe stop over and see the effect of record high tides in Tuvalu whilst you're at it)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Essan said:

What causes thermal expansion?   Come on, you've been studying this for decades (so you claim) ;)     Oceans don't just get warmer without a reason

And if you agree there's thermal expansion, then maybe you explain why it's not causing more coastal flooding?  ;)    

(Although you might want to check out the reports from last week's record high tides and widespread flooding around the UK coast before you do so; maybe stop over and see the effect of record high tides in Tuvalu whilst you're at it)

Yes, what does cause thermal expansion, a process that has been mapped since time immemorial? What do you say causes it?

As for coastal flooding, I am saying it is a nonsense. Coastal flooding will not happen in a decade and a half or more.

As for Tuvalu. It's highest point is something like 16 feet and the calculations are the tide will rise 15 inches in 100 years... maybe. Lol. And the link to CO2 is still unproven. So what about Tuvalu?

25 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Yes, what does cause thermal expansion, a process that has been mapped since time immemorial? What do you say causes it?

Thermal expansion (since you clearly don't know what it is) is the process by which water increases in volume as it gets warmer.   This is one of the reasons sea levels are rising (which, you bizarrely deny is occurring despite claiming thermal expansion is happening!).   It's happening because we have doubled the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere which results in more solar radiation being held back and then absorbed by the oceans.

As for coastal flooding, I am saying it is a nonsense. Coastal flooding will not happen in a decade and a half or more.

Yes, obviously all the reports and photos in the news items I linked to from the events of last week are fake :rolleyes:   

As for Tuvalu. It's highest point is something like 16 feet and the calculations are the tide will rise 15 inches in 100 years... maybe. Lol. And the link to CO2 is still unproven. So what about Tuvalu?

As, I suppose, are the pictures from Tuvalu - where high tides are now flooding ground that has never historically flooded before ..... because sea levels are rising because they are getting warmer due to increased atmospheric CO2.

btw record rainfall in Dubai yesterday.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Essan said:

Thermal expansion (since you clearly don't know what it is) is the process by which water increases in volume as it gets warmer.   This is one of the reasons sea levels are rising (which, you bizarrely deny is occurring despite claiming thermal expansion is happening!).   It's happening because we have doubled the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere which results in more solar radiation being held back and then absorbed by the oceans.

Yes, obviously all the reports and photos in the news items I linked to from the events of last week are fake :rolleyes:   

As, I suppose, are the pictures from Tuvalu - where high tides are now flooding ground that has never historically flooded before ..... because sea levels are rising because they are getting warmer due to increased atmospheric CO2.

btw record rainfall in Dubai yesterday.  

It's a shame.

I can sit ttight and you can watch. 

One of us is correct.

It's just not you.