Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA makes major announcement about Mars sample-return mission

UM-Bot

"There is one snag, however - it doesn't look as though this plan is actually going to work."

Sonofa...

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that the mission was scrapped.  Maybe if the government would quit wasting all of our money by giving it freely to countries who don’t deserve it, we would have a better budget to work with and the samples could be returned.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cho Jinn said:

"There is one snag, however - it doesn't look as though this plan is actually going to work."

Sonofa...

A lot of promising science going to waste right there.

• Like 2

Just now, Guyver said:

Sorry to hear that the mission was scrapped.  Maybe if the government would quit wasting all of our money by giving it freely to countries who don’t deserve it, we would have a better budget to work with and the samples could be returned.

I'll take getting shot at with our own overpriced bullets over space rocks any day of the week.  #raytheon

7 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Sorry to hear that the mission was scrapped.

It hasn't been scrapped, they are just looking for a cheaper, better way of doing it.

9 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Maybe if the government would quit wasting all of our money by giving it freely to countries who don’t deserve it

This is not really the thread for this sort of politics, but you do realise that the vast majority of the world's population (including that of your allies) would say that the one nation on Earth that doesn't deserve to have that money IS the USA don't you?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

It hasn't been scrapped, they are just looking for a cheaper, better way of doing it.

This is not really the thread for this sort of politics, but you do realise that the vast majority of the world's population (including that of your allies) would say that the one nation on Earth that doesn't deserve to have that money IS the USA don't you?

No, I do not realize that.

• Like 2

That NASA. Always looking for more money.

They should have calculated budgetary constraints ^before^ they started the mission. 

It is a bummer.  Imagine having an actual part of Mars to study?  That would be great.  

I don't get it , have they not sent a mini lab rover to analyze samples right there on the planet? I can't recall but I think there was a such program. 

• Like 1

It bothers me that NASA also announced this "Nasa chief warns China is masking military presence in space with civilian programs".

My first thought was they are trying to transfer 'Mars money' towards other projects.

10 hours ago, iAlrakis said:

It bothers me that NASA also announced this "Nasa chief warns China is masking military presence in space with civilian programs".

My first thought was they are trying to transfer 'Mars money' towards other projects.

They've always done it. Nasa' equipment always cost billions more than justifiable common sense . 

On 4/18/2024 at 5:27 AM, qxcontinuum said:

I don't get it , have they not sent a mini lab rover to analyze samples right there on the planet? I can't recall but I think there was a such program. 

They have. But the amount of analysis you can do in a car sized rover is extremely limited compared to the amount of analysis you can do in a laboratory? Have you ever actually seen a laboratory? They are big room sized things full of massive instruments.

20 hours ago, iAlrakis said:

What 'Mars money'? The whole point is that the costs of this mission have spiralled beyond what NASA can afford.

10 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

They've always done it. Nasa' equipment always cost billions more than justifiable common sense . 

You base that comment on what exactly?

Would you care to give us some specific examples of how much NASA equipment costs compared to how much it should cost... based on actual evidence of course, NOT simply your idea of common sense?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

What 'Mars money'? The whole point is that the costs of this mission have spiralled beyond what NASA can afford.

My point was that they might have been ok with the cost but now want more budget to keep ahead of China in the classical space race.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

What 'Mars money'?

Mars has three main currencies but the most stable one is the ♧ / Martian Aargl.  It's similar to the Venusian Aargl but that's only backed by fried potatoes.

At time of publication one ♧ = 21.96 Bryrjts and weighs 7.332 kg + 0.077 kg/K. 

Because of Mars's weaker gravity even puny humans can walk around with up to to 12 ♧.  So long as they remember not to fiddle with small change, as the 7.28i Bryrijts coin has razor-sharp edges often dipped in anthrax.

Source Wikipedia.  Have a great weekend!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

just ask Elon Musk to send a dragoon with astronauts in Mars orbit to retrieve the samples. He will be more than happy to help.

6 hours ago, Poncho_Peanatus said:

just ask Elon Musk to send a dragoon with astronauts in Mars orbit to retrieve the samples. He will be more than happy to help.

When it comes to space, Elon Musk doesn't, "help". SpaceX provide a service for money.

As for Dragon, it was supposed to have a Mars capable version, Red Dragon, but SpaceX abandoned that, It would need to wait for a Mars capable version of Starship, and that's still a few years away.