Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pro-Palestinian protesters burn American flag in NYC, chant ‘death to America’


docyabut2

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

 

Edited by Zebra3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Zebra3 said:

 

Much like the BLM "parades"...

Many of the worst protesters are lilly white as hell,and look like they borrowed their parents car to drive to the protest straight from Berkeley.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Setton said:

To make your point, you need someone burning a flag they own being charged with a hate crime.

So essentially what would be a misdemeanor theft, flag costing less than $50, is turned into a hate crime because they burned it. They don't even charge shoplifters who steal less than $1000 in merchandise in a lot of places.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Michelle said:

So essentially what would be a misdemeanor theft, flag costing less than $50, is turned into a hate crime because they burned it. They don't even charge shoplifters who steal less than $1000 in merchandise in a lot of places.

No, it became a hate crime because it was motivated by hate. 

And that's irrelevant to the false claim Hawken posted.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Setton said:

No, it became a hate crime because it was motivated by hate. 

And that's irrelevant to the false claim Hawken posted.

I admire your resolve. It's unfortunate you're not going to get anywhere close to convincing them they're wrong. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

I admire your resolve. It's unfortunate you're not going to get anywhere close to convincing them they're wrong. 

Oh it's not for their benefit. It's for anyone who might have read Hawken's false claim and believed it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hate crimes are a dumb category.  All that's done is makes something that's already illegal, illegal. :rolleyes:   Stupid.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Edumakated said:

Deep down they know their country of origin is a sh!thole which is why they choose to live here.  You see this level of hypocrisy all the time with activist.  It is no different from how those BLM chicks bought mansions in white neighborhoods.

If I recall, Patrisse Cullors (cofounder) bought 4 home worth $3 million. And BLM bought a mansion for $6 million for parties.

I never read where the organization donated any money to black communities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Hate crimes are a dumb category.  All that's done is makes something that's already illegal, illegal. :rolleyes:   Stupid.  

No, it's an aggravating factor. The same way as killing someone is illegal but planning it out for months in advance is much more serious than pushing someone who falls, bangs their head and dies.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Hate crimes are a dumb category.  All that's done is makes something that's already illegal, illegal. :rolleyes:   Stupid.  

Have any white straight conservatives been a victim of hate crimes, or does that just apply to certain people? 

For example: Taking a Maga hat off someone's head and ripping it to shreds :huh:

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Setton said:

No, it became a hate crime because it was motivated by hate. 

And that's irrelevant to the false claim Hawken posted.

And chants of “death to America” are motivated by love?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Setton said:

No, it's an aggravating factor. The same way as killing someone is illegal but planning it out for months in advance is much more serious than pushing someone who falls, bangs their head and dies.

Those are two different charges, murder one and manslaughter.  In a so called hate crime there is no accident.  There would be no hate manslaughter, just manslaughter.  It's a stupid addition meant to please stupid people and give some illusion that more justice is done.  It's not.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)


:stedit

Edited by OverSword
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Michelle said:

Not quite...

Man charged with hate crime for destroying LGBTQ Pride flags at Stonewall National Monument

A Colorado man has been arrested for allegedly removing and destroying LGBTQ Pride flags at New York City's Stonewall National Monument, which commemorates iconic uprisings in the struggle for LGBTQ+ civil rights.

Patrick Murphy, of Denver, was charged with a hate crime and "criminal mischief" after he allegedly removed and "broke" multiple transgender Pride flags that were displayed on the fence surrounding Christopher Park, New York Police Department Detective Ronald Montas told USA TODAY. Murphy, 25, was arrested Monday, Montas said.

cont...

LGBTQ Pride flags destroyed near the Stonewall Inn; suspect arrested (usatoday.com)

Missed this part, did we? 

Quote

activity also violates other laws.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Hawken said:

Have any white straight conservatives been a victim of hate crimes, or does that just apply to certain people? 

For example: Taking a Maga hat off someone's head and ripping it to shreds :huh:

Being a gullible mark isn't a protected class 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Michelle said:

So essentially what would be a misdemeanor theft, flag costing less than $50, is turned into a hate crime because they burned it. They don't even charge shoplifters who steal less than $1000 in merchandise in a lot of places.

False equivalence. The two examples are in no way the same.

The theft and destruction of multiple pride flags, during Pride Month no less, was turned into a hate crime because the crime committed was motivated by extreme bias/hatred. Hate crimes are not exclusive to attacks on individuals or groups. They can also be directed at physical, symbolic targets such as synagogues and mosques, or, as in this case, flags.

Furthermore, hate crimes are typically committed with the intent to intimidate, harm or frighten, and often have a propensity to cause disproportionate harm, not just to individual victims, but also to other members of the community belonging to the targeted group.

What the people in the examples you presented did was no mere 'shoplifting' expedition, going well beyond just theft and mischief. So whilst burning a pride flag (or the American flag for that matter) is protected under the First Amendment, that protection no longer applies if the activity also violated other laws. That's why they were charged with what they were.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Occupational Hubris said:

Being a gullible mark isn't a protected class 

I suppose you're in the protested class. Hold my hand mommy! :w00t:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hawken said:

I suppose you're in the protested class. Hold my hand mommy! :w00t:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

And chants of “death to America” are motivated by love?

Obviously not. Neither are chants of "death to Israel."

Dozens of anti-Israel/America protesters and activists were arrested during the pro-Palestinian worldwide protest in New York City, but details of the specific charges against them have not been released at this time.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, OverSword said:

Hate crimes are a dumb category.  All that's done is makes something that's already illegal, illegal. :rolleyes:   Stupid.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that targeting someone on the basis of race, gender, etc., is a separate and distinct crime federally, but that it's not a separate crime at the state level. Instead, the states have 'sentencing enhancements' whereby if a crime was motivated by hatred toward a protected group, then the punishment for that crime would be 'enhanced'. If that is indeed the case, then there's really no redundancy at the state level. Or is there?

I really don't see how hate laws are redundant anyway. For one thing, the victim's race, gender, sexual orientation, etc., is the reason for the crime in the first place. Furthermore, activity motivated by bias or animus toward protected groups can impact not just individuals, but the targeted groups as well, thereby destabilizing communities. So if anything, federal hate laws not only add clarity and substance to existing laws, they also ensure that the punishment better reflects the crime. Perhaps more importantly, they enable the feds to step in when they think states have erred in their judgments.

8 hours ago, OverSword said:


:stedit

If only all your posts were like this one lol.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

If only all your posts were like this one lol.

:su

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that targeting someone on the basis of race, gender, etc., is a separate and distinct crime federally, but that it's not a separate crime at the state level. Instead, the states have 'sentencing enhancements' whereby if a crime was motivated by hatred toward a protected group, then the punishment for that crime would be 'enhanced'. If that is indeed the case, then there's really no redundancy at the state level. Or is there?

I really don't see how hate laws are redundant anyway. For one thing, the victim's race, gender, sexual orientation, etc., is the reason for the crime in the first place. Furthermore, activity motivated by bias or animus toward protected groups can impact not just individuals, but the targeted groups as well, thereby destabilizing communities. So if anything, federal hate laws not only add clarity and substance to existing laws, they also ensure that the punishment better reflects the crime. Perhaps more importantly, they enable the feds to step in when they think states have erred in their judgments.

 

 

 

If only all your posts were like this one lol.

If someone attacks someone because they are white, is it a hate crime?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Myles said:

If someone attacks someone because they are white, is it a hate crime?

Are you really asking if it's possible for a member of a minority group to commit a hate crime against a member of a privileged group? If the attack was racially motivated, then yes, absolutely. Here's an example of a case that took place in NY in 2016:

A 25-year-old black man allegedly assaulted a white woman while she was walking in a Brooklyn neighbourhood. He confessed to the crime and told police he attacked the woman because she was white, and that he had "set out to slash white people because he blamed them and 'the system' for preventing him from freely smoking weed." His actions met the legal definition of a hate crime and he was subsequently charged with multiple counts of assault and attempted murder as a hate crime.

As defined by the state of New York, a hate crime occurs when a person "intentionally selects the person against whom the offense is committed or intended to be committed in whole or in substantial part because of a belief or perception regarding the race, color, national origin, ancestry, gender, religion, religious practice, age, disability or sexual orientation of a person, regardless of whether the belief or perception is correct."

So under this definition, a member of a minority group can indeed commit a hate crime against a member of a privileged group.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/z4jadx/can-you-commit-a-hate-crime-against-a-white-person

Here's more information about hate crimes from the US Department of Justice, if you or anyone else here is interested:

https://www.justice.gov/hatecrimes/learn-about-hate-crimes

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2024 at 11:17 AM, Hawken said:

DeSantis doesn't take no crap. :tu:

Now there's a name I haven't since... He's fallen off the radar did that dirt tRump had on himcause issues?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2024 at 8:03 AM, Robotic Jew said:

What else should they do for a nation that's FUNDING their genocide?

Oh, I don't know... maybe GET THE HELL OUT of it?  It's one thing to burn a flag in a protest.  It is another altogether, to openly call for the death of this nation.  That isn't "free speech".  THAT is a call for treason.  At a minimum they should be investigated for foreign ties or association with any terror organization.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.