Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Student suspended for 3 days for saying "illegal alien".

Myles

Posted (edited)

In an email to the Carolina Journal, Leah McGhee described an incident in Central Davidson High School in Lexington where her 16-year-old son was suspended for three days last week over the term.

According to McGhee, an English teacher was giving an assignment that involved using vocabulary words such as the word "alien." In response, her son asked if the teacher meant "like space aliens or illegal aliens without green cards?"

Another student allegedly took offense to the term and threatened to fight McGhee’s son, forcing the teacher to contact the assistant principal. The staff later deemed the term to be offensive to Hispanic students and punished him. 

https://www.foxnews.com/media/north-carolina-high-school-student-suspended-using-term-illegal-alien-report

Edited by Saru
Trimmed for length - please avoid copying and pasting too much text.
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I know that US immigration enforcement agencies are no longer using the term, and can understand why its offensive and disparaging, but this situation was handled extremely badly by the school. To the teen's point, the term has been, and is still being used.

His teacher missed a good opportunity to educate. Choosing to instead escalate the matter was an unnecessary overreaction.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I know that US immigration enforcement agencies are no longer using the term, and can understand why its offensive and disparaging, but this situation was handled extremely badly by the school. To the teen's point, the term has been, and is still being used.

His teacher missed a good opportunity to educate. Choosing to instead escalate the matter was an unnecessary overreaction.

I'm just sad the kid s such a poor student three days might run his studies, it's great his folks are well off enough to sue over it, why not get a buddy to bring him his lessons?

Imnsho the only person who could get a butt knot over the term would be one hence shouldn't be in the class.

Yep, the teacher epic failed a golden opportunity

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I'm just sad the kid s such a poor student three days might run his studies, it's great his folks are well off enough to sue over it, why not get a buddy to bring him his lessons?

I know, right? I'm glad though that his parents are suing. Hopefully the school will learn an expensive lesson.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I disagree.  If you are in the country illegally then you ARE an illegal immigrant.  I'm not going to not call a thief a thief.  I'm not going to not call a criminal a criminal.  

• Like 3

Yes. the school should have just told him not to use that term anymore. At that age, kids are still going through a learning process.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I know, right? I'm glad though that his parents are suing. Hopefully the school will learn an expensive lesson.

I hate what I see as frivolous lawsuits, but I do blame the teacher and principal on this one, in fact how do we say illegal aliens, in a PC way?

• Like 4

Just now, Myles said:

I disagree.  If you are in the country illegally then you ARE an illegal immigrant.  I'm not going to not call a thief a thief.  I'm not going to not call a criminal a criminal.  

Illegal alien is the term that's deemed offensive, not illegal immigrant.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hawken said:

Yes. the school should have just told him not to use that term anymore. At that age, kids are still going through a learning process.

Perhaps im being weird on this one but this is a term of a criminal like date rapist, or litter bug or?

2 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

K, duh on me, ty. I feel stupid. I have a feeling and hope I'm wrong that using immigrant wouldn't have changed much

• Like 3

So, should we save that term for the greys? :alien:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, the13bats said:

I hate what I see as frivolous lawsuits, but I do blame the teacher and principal on this one, in fact how do we say illegal aliens, in a PC way?

The PC way would be 'undocumented immigrant' or 'unauthorized immigrant' or non-citizen, to name a few.

As for the law suit, sometimes that's the best 'smack upside the head'. If I were that child's parent, I would not have tolerated the school/s behaviour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Thanks for that, I mistyped.  "Illegal alien" should not be offensive to anyone either.    

The usage of the term "alien" dates back to 1798, when it was used in the Alien and Sedition Acts. Although the INA provides no overarching explicit definition of the term "illegal alien", it is mentioned in a number of provisions under title 8 of the US code.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Myles said:

The usage of the term "alien" dates back to 1798, when it was used in the Alien and Sedition Acts. Although the INA provides no overarching explicit definition of the term "illegal alien", it is mentioned in a number of provisions under title 8 of the US code.

The word 'alien' is dehumanizing and should not be used to describe a person.

The reason why the term 'illegal' is not preferred is because it's argued that 'illegal' should describe an action, not a person. That's why words like 'undocumented' and 'unauthorized' are becoming more commonplace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Hawken said:

So, should we save that term for the greys? :alien:

If they cross the border illegally perhaps.:ph34r:

Edited by Razman
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The PC way would be 'undocumented immigrant' or 'unauthorized immigrant' or non-citizen, to name a few.

As for the law suit, sometimes that's the best 'smack upside the head'. If I were that child's parent, I would not have tolerated the school/s behaviour.

Ok. Thank you for the clue in.

Edited by the13bats
f typo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Myles said:

In an email to the Carolina Journal, Leah McGhee described an incident in Central Davidson High School in Lexington where her 16-year-old son was suspended for three days last week over the term.

According to McGhee, an English teacher was giving an assignment that involved using vocabulary words such as the word "alien." In response, her son asked if the teacher meant "like space aliens or illegal aliens without green cards?"

Another student allegedly took offense to the term and threatened to fight McGhee’s son, forcing the teacher to contact the assistant principal. The staff later deemed the term to be offensive to Hispanic students and punished him. 

"Because of his question, our son was disciplined and given THREE days OUT of school suspension for ‘racism,’" McGhee wrote to the Carolina Journal. "He is devastated and concerned that the racism label on his school record will harm his future goal of receiving a track scholarship. We are concerned that he will fall behind in his classes due to being absent for three consecutive days."

She also stated that the school has so far refused to remove the suspension from her son’s record and that her family has already begun working with an attorney.

In response to the suspension, McGhee’s son told the Carolina Journal, "I didn’t make a statement directed towards anyone; I asked a question. I wasn’t speaking of Hispanics because everyone from other countries needs green cards, and the term ‘illegal alien’ is an actual term that I hear on the news and can find in the dictionary."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/north-carolina-high-school-student-suspended-using-term-illegal-alien-report

So sue the school.  The McGhees will invariably win.

• Like 1

Ironic how words like Alien are considered dehumanizing. But nobody bats an eye if someone calls you the F-word, A-hole or other profane names. :huh:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Myles said:

Another student allegedly took offense to the term

A narcissist, I presume.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, the13bats said:

Imnsho the only person who could get a butt knot over the term would be one hence shouldn't be in the class.

Yep, the teacher epic failed a golden opportunity

lol It's the american education system. Kid isn't missing ****.

• Haha 3

So did we ever find out what meaning of the word alien was intended?

a) introduced to a region deliberately or accidentally by humans (scientific)
b) a person owing allegiance to a country other than that in which he lives; foreigner (English)
c) a creature from outer space (American)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The word 'alien' is dehumanizing and should not be used to describe a person.

The reason why the term 'illegal' is not preferred is because it's argued that 'illegal' should describe an action, not a person. That's why words like 'undocumented' and 'unauthorized' are becoming more commonplace.

I will not stop calling criminals what they are just to save their hurt feelings.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Hawken said:

Ironic how words like Alien are considered dehumanizing. But nobody bats an eye if someone calls you the F-word, A-hole or other profane names. :huh:

Thought is crime now to the left.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Hawken said:

Those descriptors are generally more accurate. ?    :P   Didn’t “alien” used to simply mean, someone from, or in, another country?   “ illegal alien” is nothing more than a sort of abbreviated way of saying…an alien who has entered this country  illegally.    !?       People have gotten extremely uptight and over- reactive.  My response to this is a perfect example of it.      :lol:

Edited by lightly
  • Like 3

Here is what the teacher could of done, perhaps provide clarification of what she meant? The kid did simply ask a question, yes I get certain words invoke a type of emotional response but rather than seek to understand she flew off the handle and decided to just throw the book at him. 

• Like 2