Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Student suspended for 3 days for saying "illegal alien".

Myles

18 hours ago, Myles said:

In an email to the Carolina Journal, Leah McGhee described an incident in Central Davidson High School in Lexington where her 16-year-old son was suspended for three days last week over the term.

According to McGhee, an English teacher was giving an assignment that involved using vocabulary words such as the word "alien." In response, her son asked if the teacher meant "like space aliens or illegal aliens without green cards?"

Another student allegedly took offense to the term and threatened to fight McGhee’s son, forcing the teacher to contact the assistant principal. The staff later deemed the term to be offensive to Hispanic students and punished him. 

https://www.foxnews.com/media/north-carolina-high-school-student-suspended-using-term-illegal-alien-report

It wasn't so long ago when I had to quit saying "wetbacks" and had to start saying "illegal aliens."

Doug

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

It wasn't so long ago when I had to quit saying "wetbacks" and had to start saying "illegal aliens."

Doug

The difference is the former is specific and is racial, the latter is a general statement and can apply to anyone and a more legal term. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

Here is what the teacher could of done, perhaps provide clarification of what she meant? The kid did simply ask a question, yes I get certain words invoke a type of emotional response but rather than seek to understand she flew off the handle and decided to just throw the book at him. 

I learned something in this thread,

I see some of this being used as a political tool but if the school thought it so horrible it deserved three days suspension for using the term then why didn't some hothead wanting to pick a fight with the kid for using it get three days off too?

There is zero in the story to indicate the kid wasn't asking an honest question nor was there any reason to consider the term was being pointed at any one race so I do hope the hot head student wanting to fight over it who sure did escalate the situation and sounds like a troublemaker gets three off too, or I might just think the suspension is racially motivated and then a law suit is in order.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I learned something in this thread,

I see some of this being used as a political tool but if the school thought it so horrible it deserved three days suspension for using the term then why didn't some hothead wanting to pick a fight with the kid for using it get three days off too?

There is zero in the story to indicate the kid wasn't asking an honest question nor was there any reason to consider the term was being pointed at any one race so I do hope the hot head student wanting to fight over it who sure did escalate the situation and sounds like a troublemaker gets three off too, or I might just think the suspension is racially motivated and then a law suit is in order.

Exactly. The student who threatened him was not punished. The student who used the term explained he genuinely did not know it was unacceptable, but was still punished, and the incident permanently etched on his school record. The Biden administration ordered immigration enforcement agencies to stop using the term' illegal alien' just two years ago, but media outlets and others were not as quick to phase it out. Five bucks says most Americans aren't even aware it ever happened.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Exactly. The student who threatened him was not punished. The student who used the term explained he genuinely did not know it was unacceptable, but was still punished, and the incident permanently etched on his school record. The Biden administration ordered immigration enforcement agencies to stop using the term' illegal alien' just two years ago, but media outlets and others were not as quick to phase it out. Five bucks says most Americans aren't even aware it ever happened.

I didn't know it happened, and while I do find "wetback," a disparaging racist term I didn't grasp any insult with "illegal alien" until this thread that is. It still isn't pointing at anyone race.

At this moment I'm concerned the school has a threatening bully who can not only get away with it but seems to have power to get the person he threatened expelled,

A lot of that schools staff belong in dunce caps, I am expecting to see some resignations, firings and lawsuits

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Occupational Hubris said:

lol It's the american education system. Kid isn't missing ****.

It is so depressing that you are going to be correct about this OH.  As a former educator, I would get these miserably undereducated kids showing up to prestige tertiary educational institutions, and they'd be reading at a first year European high school level, and they'd know F-all about the world (pardon my Australian).  I would suggest that the USA needs to go onto the European Baccalaureate system, but 95% of the US high-school teachers aren't up to a standard to be able to teach it.  Read between the lines here and imagine, if you will, the steam of frustration that emerges from my Frankenstein's monster neck bolts.

• Like 1