Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is the modern translation of Matthew 24:6-8?

and-then

19 minutes ago, joc said:

Well...this is what we know...Prophecies have no bearing whatsoever with reality.  

Unless you believe that YOU have already taken the number of the beast.  If you think you haven't, try giving your Social Security number back to the government.  You can't buy or sell anything without it.  

What if an illegal immigrant comes in and sells drugs on the corner , then goes down to 7 Eleven and buys a slurpee?

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, and-then said:

And if the same strife is happening today and in the coming years, especially the prediction of Israel coming back to the land, being surrounded by its enemies, left without allies but still winning and destroying those enemies?  I'm just curious about how you'd explain that happening as a "self-fulfilling prophecy".  That seems to be the common explanation but I've never really understood how that works.

The same or similar strife happening today has no relevance to what was expected 2000 years ago. And as to Piney’s mention of “genea” it also has no relevance to today, placing Jesus’ alleged words in reference to expectations of the latter 1st century AD as understood from Thayer’s Greek Lexicon paragraph 3: 

Thayer's Greek Lexicon

STRONGS NT 1074: γενεά

γενεά, γενεάς, ἡ (ΓΑΝΩ, γίνομαι (crf. Curtius, p. 610)); the Sept. often for דּור; in Greek writings from Homer down; 

1. a begetting, birth, nativity: Herodotus 3, 33; Xenophon, Cyril 1, 2, 8, etc.; (others make the collective sense the primary significance, see Curtius as above). 

2. passively, that which has been begotten, men of the same stock, a family; 

a. properly, as early as Homer; equivalent to מִשְׁפָּחַה, Genesis 31:3, etc. σῴζειν Ρ᾽αχαβηνκαί τήν γενεάν αὐτῆς, Josephus, Antiquities 5, 1, 5. the several ranks in a natural descent, the successive members of a genealogy: Matthew 1:17 (ἑβδόμῃ γενεά οὗτος ἐστιν ἀπότοῦ πρώτου, Philo, vit. Moys. i. § 2). 

b. metaphorically, a race of men very like each other in endowments, pursuits, character; and especially in a bad sense a perverse race: Matthew 17:17; Mark 9:19; Luke 9:41; Luke 16:8; (Acts 2:40). 

3. the whole multitude of men living at the same time: Matthew 24:34; Mark 13:30; Luke 1:48 (πᾶσαι αἱ γενεαί); ; Philippians 2:15; used especially of the Jewish race living at one and the same period: Matthew 11:16; Matthew 12:39, 41f, 45; Matthew 16:4; Matthew 23:36; Mark 8:12, 38; Luke 11:29f, 32, 50; Luke 17:25; Acts 13:36; Hebrews 3:10; ἄνθρωποι τῆςγενεάς ταύτης, Luke 7:31; ἄνδρες τῆς γενεάςταύτης, Luke 11:31; τήν δέ γενεάν αὐτοῦ τίςδιηγήσεται, who can describe the wickedness of the present generation, Acts 8:33 (from Isaiah 53:8 the Sept.) (but cf. Meyer, at the passage). 

4. an age (i. e. the time ordinarily occupied by each successive generation), the space of from 30 to 33 years (Herodotus 2, 142, et al.; Heraclitus in Plutarch, def. orac. c. 11), or ὁχρόνος, ἐν ᾧ γεννωντα παρέχει τόν ἐξ αὐτοῦγεγεννημένον ὁ γεννησας (Plutarch, the passage cited); in the N. T. common in plural: Ephesians 3:5 (Winers Grammar, § 31, 9 a.; Buttmann, 186 (161)); παρῳχημέναις γενεαῖς in ages gone by, Acts 14:16; ἀπό τῶν γενεῶν for ages, since the generations began, Colossians 1:26; ἐκ γενεῶν ἀρχαίων from the generations of old, from ancient times down, Acts 15:21; εἰςγενεάς γενεῶν unto generations of generations, through all ages, forever (a phrase which assumes that the longer ages are made up of shorter; see  αἰών, 1 a.): Luke 1:50 R L (דּורִיםלְדור, Isaiah 51:8); εἰς γενεάς καί γενεάς unto generations and generations, ibid. T Tr WHequivalent to וָדור לְדור, Psalm 89:2; Isaiah 34:17; very often in the Sept.; (add, εἰς πάσαςτάς γενεάς τοῦ αἰῶνος τῶν αἰώνων, Ephesians 3:21, cf. Ellicott at the passage) (γενεά is used of a century in Genesis 15:16, cf. Knobel at the passage, and on the senses of the word see the full remarks of Keim, iii. 206 (v. 245 English translation)).

https://biblehub.com/greek/1074.htm

Again “this generation” means exactly what it says. 

cormac

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 4/18/2024 at 12:22 PM, and-then said:

Matthew 24:6-8

For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: 

I've always thought that this verse was unnecessarily repetitive.  They seemed synonymous to me but recently I saw a translation that seemed to imply that they are not the same.  In fact, this translation would fit today's realities far better.  It supposes that countries would be at each other's throats but also that the "ethnos" would be in strife.  IOW, there would be discord and strife between people groups and races.  Any thoughts from those here who are Bible scholars?

I don’t think anything about End Times Prophecy is applicable to today.  This is my conclusion after decades of intent Bible Study.  If anyone would like a truncated version of the facts as I see them, let me know.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, and-then said:

I've heard this idea many times and I'm sure that you understand that it is roundly rejected by those who think that "this generation" is speaking of the generation that will experience these events in the last days.  

What matters is how the forecast was interpreted originally. If the word generation had no meaning, fixed and determined at the time it was uttered, understood in common by both speaker and listener, then there was no prophecy. And if the statement was nevertheless offered under the pretense that a specific meaning was intended, then that pretense was a lie.

The world will end someday. No shinola, Sherlock. At best under your theory of the case, Gospel Jesus had nothing more insightful than that to say. At worst? He was a liar. Not a pretty picture either way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Piney said:

@Saru Why did the vulgarity filter edit out the abbreviation for the Church of Christ? 

Looks like a mistake, fixed now.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, and-then said:

I've heard this idea many times and I'm sure that you understand that it is roundly rejected by those who think that "this generation" is speaking of the generation that will experience these events in the last days.  

Only American Evangelicals. Not mainstream Christians.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, CrimsonKing said:

That is 4 letters Piney,do try and keep up sir!

(Says the man walking through the religious section of the forums like the village idiot 🤣)

Our village idiot actually seems to be MIA. 

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Piney said:

Our village idiot actually seems to be MIA. 

It's kinda crazy, reading through some of this section, it's like opening boxes of information I stored and locked away long ago...with far more detail and facts I will add.

I'm starting to get a headache 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Guyver said:

I don’t think anything about End Times Prophecy is applicable to today.  This is my conclusion after decades of intent Bible Study.  If anyone would like a truncated version of the facts as I see them, let me know.

I didn't study it for decades,I am a bit more well read on it than I let on...or perhaps "used to be" would be a better way of putting it.

20+ years of not discussing certain topics ,one begins to lose the information I suppose...

But yeah, it's been the End Times far too many times,since before and after the Bible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

56 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

I didn't study it for decades,I am a bit more well read on it than I let on...or perhaps "used to be" would be a better way of putting it.

20+ years of not discussing certain topics ,one begins to lose the information I suppose...

But yeah, it's been the End Times far too many times,since before and after the Bible.

Read the Wiki and Rationalwiki articles on failed End Times prophecy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, Razman said:

What if an illegal immigrant comes in and sells drugs on the corner , then goes down to 7 Eleven and buys a slurpee?

yeahhhh.... but see, there's that other thing right?  That, uh...that whole, or thrown in prison or killed thing...yeah, if you don't have the mark, you are either thrown in prison or killed.  Sooooo....yeah...I think those guys will fall into that provision ...have to have a reeeal good attorney to squirm out of that predicament.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, joc said:

Well...this is what we know...Prophecies have no bearing whatsoever with reality.  

Unless you believe that YOU have already taken the number of the beast.  If you think you haven't, try giving your Social Security number back to the government.  You can't buy or sell anything without it.  

Hi Joc

I have never had to use my sin to buy or sell I just put my hand in my god pocket and pull out as much demon slayer cash that is required

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, joc said:

yeahhhh.... but see, there's that other thing right?  That, uh...that whole, or thrown in prison or killed thing...yeah, if you don't have the mark, you are either thrown in prison or killed.  Sooooo....yeah...I think those guys will fall into that provision ...have to have a reeeal good attorney to squirm out of that predicament.

Or Deportation, don't forget deportation , if you don't have the mark you get deported. Then maybe keep coming back til you get the mark or get grand childed in to get the mark.

Edited by Razman
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)

This message from the Bible, specifically from Matthew 24:7-8, is often interpreted as a warning about the signs of the end times or the coming of a significant event. It speaks of times where nations and kingdoms will clash in a major war possibly with use of atomic bombs, accompanied by natural disasters like famines and earthquakes. Remember that military technologies have been created by world powers able to produce earthquakes .

There will be a major Hegemony war as sooner America colapses and unfortunately the current administration is rushing its end at incredible speed.

Same as the Roman empire collapse, the world would enter in another medieval time, like stage . 

Edited by qxcontinuum

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/20/2024 at 5:24 PM, and-then said:

That is the premise of some scholars these days.  IF they are correct then it perfectly describes the chaos we see today.  Hate is everywhere and due to the increase in lawlessness, the "love of many will grow cold".

YHWH

The end is playing out right before our eyes. It will catch most people off guard. It will be just like in Noah's day: people going about their activities of daily living. They took no note until the flood swept them away.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, larryp said:

YHWH

People speak in generality, so hate is everywhere (e.g., mass shootings), and not just biblical scholars believe hate feels the air, but commentators and the like say we are in a climate of hate too. Indeed, we have always had calamities, e.g., earthquakes, famine, and wars, but they have never co-occurred, and that's the point. Incidentally, I'd rather believe a scholar than an artist at any time. 

Edited by larryp
the details

Someone just climbed out of their evangelical hiding spot.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, larryp said:

Error

The truest thing you said in your posting history. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, larryp said:

👍

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Piney said:

The truest thing you said in your posting history. 

You beat me to it.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Someone just climbed out of their evangelical hiding spot.

It’s spring, his hibernation period is over.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Antigonos said:

It’s spring, his hibernation period is over.

Like every other biting insect. 

• Thanks 1