Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

FAA to require reentry vehicles licensed before launch

Waspie_Dwarf

FAA to require reentry vehicles licensed before launch

The Federal Aviation Administration is revising its licensing regulations to prevent a repeat of a situation last year where a spacecraft launched without approvals to return.

In a notice published in the Federal Register April 17, the FAA’s Office of Commercial Space Transportation announced it will no longer approve the launch of spacecraft designed to reenter unless they already have a reentry license. The office said that it will, going forward, check that a spacecraft designed to return to Earth has a reentry license as part of the standard payload review process.

Read More: ➡️ SpaceNews

Related story:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This is obviously a very important ruling to have in place! I hope Varda are very heavily fined and possibly banned from another launch for a long time.

2 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

I hope Varda are very heavily fined and possibly banned from another launch for a long time.

Why? They didn't break any rules.

There was no requirement for them to have a reentry licence before launch. They had the required licence to launch. They didn't reenter and land until after they had a licence.

What exactly are you going to punish them for?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Why? They didn't break any rules.

There was no requirement for them to have a reentry licence before launch. They had the required licence to launch. They didn't reenter and land until after they had a licence.

What exactly are you going to punish them for?

My bad. I didn't understand. :blush:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

My bad. I didn't understand. :blush:

No problem at all. The workings of the FAA are a mystery to all.

• Thanks 1