Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Artist evicted by London landlord cuts rent by commuting from Argentina

Still Waters

An artist who was made homeless after being evicted by his private landlord in London has started effectively commuting from Argentina where the rent is so much cheaper that it covers the cost of air fare.

Andy Leek, 38, whose Notes to Strangers works are pasted on to walls and junction boxes across more than 20 British and European cities, has moved to Buenos Aires where the rents are several times cheaper and he travels back to the UK roughly every two months for work. The flight costs less than a monthly train season ticket between Bristol and London.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/apr/19/artist-evicted-by-london-landlord-cuts-rent-by-commuting-from-argentina

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hmm, I just looked up return flights from Buenos Aires to London.  They take 17 hours and cost about 2000 pounds, so add another 400 for cheap rent of an apartment in Buenos Aires.  Does that wind up getting you ahead or not Londoners?  Inquiring minds want to know the logistics?

9 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

Hmm, I just looked up return flights from Buenos Aires to London.  They take 17 hours and cost about 2000 pounds, so add another 400 for cheap rent of an apartment in Buenos Aires.  Does that wind up getting you ahead or not Londoners?  Inquiring minds want to know the logistics?

Nah, it costs more than that per week to rent a shoe box.

1 hour ago, Alchopwn said:

My last flat in London before buying was 1400/month for a 2 bed. That was pre COVID hikes though.