Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Planned 'mass execution' of geese paused after outpouring of passionate input


Still Waters

Recommended Posts

Tears, shouts and interruptions marked residents' comments Wednesday night over a proposal to exterminate geese in Bristol, Conn., parks.

As the city's Board of Parks considered a proposal to kill resident geese that are causing excessive waste that is marring Veterans Memorial Park, dozens of residents shared conflicting opinions on how the city should proceed.

https://phys.org/news/2024-04-mass-geese-conn-city-outpouring.html

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to Planned 'mass execution' of geese paused after outpouring of passionate input
 
Posted (edited)

Sometimes you must do these kinds of things.   Kill them and use the meat for the needy.

 

On the topic of geese, this marks the 4th year that 2 geese have came to my house (we have a part of land that used to be a pond but is now more of a wetlands with standing water).  Each year the same 2 geese come and lay their eggs.  They just hatched the other day.  so now they walk around with 6 cute little chicks.  They know I am not a threat and each year accept me more.  This year I was able to pet the male once.  

Edited by Myles
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Myles said:

Sometimes you must do these kinds of things.   Kill them and use the meat for the needy.

 

On the topic of geese, this marks the 4th year that 2 geese have came to my house (we have a part of land that used to be a pond but is now more of a wetlands with standing water).  Each year the same 2 geese come and lay their eggs.  They just hatched the other day.  so now they walk around with 6 cute little chicks.  They know I am not a threat and each year accept me more.  This year I was able to pet the male once.  

We use to have a lone male who probably lost his mate live year round on our reservoir. Now my mother-in-law has a lonely guy living on her farm and just kind of watches us when we're doing something outside.

Edit: but cullings are needed and the meat should feed the needy. 

Edited by Piney
brain fart
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

We use to have a lone male who probably lost his mate live year round on our reservoir. Now my mother-in-law has a lonely guy living on her farm and just kind of watches us when we're doing something outside.

Edit: but cullings are needed and the meat should feed the needy. 

The whitetail deer population in America is in need of a major culling...

Hell after your comment last year on them eating trash and then reading a case of CWD was confirmed last year...2022 was my last deer year.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have a park near here that hundreds of geese used to congregate. The city began fining people who feed them to encourage them to move on. They were really fouling up the stream and making a mess. It was having a bad impact on the fish too. I haven't been there in a long time and I haven't heard anything about how successful they were.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Execution is a pretty weird term but they need culling as said. Why would they gas them, just catch them up, chop their heads off and use the meat. Saying that, I had a pet goose years ago and she used to try and kill my ex so she said she had to go. It was a sad day I waved goodbye to her as she waddled down the road squawking with hatred. The goose and I miss that women. :tsu:

Edited by openozy
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a big duck and goose hunter. They taste great, especially the Speckled Belly goose. The geese should be fed to the homeless and struggling veterans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My only personal story about one of these types of Geese is a sad one.  The wife and I were on a vacation and while we were traveling down the interstate we came upon one that had been hit and killed.  Its mate was standing next to it and of course as I came closer, I changed lanes, but after passing them I saw the vehicle behind us never slow down or change lanes.  The SOB drove straight over the poor thing.  :(  It's a really good thing that I wasn't able to look him up later.  :angry: That was one of the most inhumane, cold-blooded things I've ever witnessed.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, and-then said:

My only personal story about one of these types of Geese is a sad one.  The wife and I were on a vacation and while we were traveling down the interstate we came upon one that had been hit and killed.  Its mate was standing next to it and of course as I came closer, I changed lanes, but after passing them I saw the vehicle behind us never slow down or change lanes.  The SOB drove straight over the poor thing.  :(  It's a really good thing that I wasn't able to look him up later.  :angry: That was one of the most inhumane, cold-blooded things I've ever witnessed.

You see that over here with galahs, they mate for life so running over the mate was probably the kindest thing, though sad ☹️.

Edited by openozy
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.