Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Old Louisiana courthouse sees reports of 'unexplainable' occurrences

UM-Bot

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

Problem is, this things are only in the experiencer mind, my rip buddy late 80s had a girl dump him so he eats LSD calls me Sunday early saying the sidewalk is gonna eat him I babysat him all day I heard all his wild delusions that where very real to him not reality

I smoke weed, never during the day and have tried most illicit drugs when younger but I've never experienced the paranormal while under the influence of anything including alcohol. In fact I'll use weed to suppress experiencing it if it gets too heavy. Hallucinating on drugs is an entirely different thing.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Just an observation but it seems your interest here has more to do with poking fun at people who do believe in the paranormal. 

You could say that about almost any skeptic here.

Idk I guess it could come off like that to some especially dear true believers who are understandably upset that they fully believe their experiences are real yet have nothing to show no evidence nothing but the story of said experience.

It's no secret I am a skeptic and when a tale of paranormal is shared here in a public discussion forum asking a person questions about their experiences isn't poking fun and when other possibilities are suggested that isn't poking fun either if a person says there experience can only be paranormal calling them closed minded and or credious isnt making fun its my observation.

Since all you said was it's your observation you didn't include anything specific do this for me post a quote I made where you feel I made fun of a person for believing in paranormal and we can go from there.

8 hours ago, openozy said:

I smoke weed, never during the day and have tried most illicit drugs when younger but I've never experienced the paranormal while under the influence of anything including alcohol. In fact I'll use weed to suppress experiencing it if it gets too heavy. Hallucinating on drugs is an entirely different thing.

And countless tribes people. Shaman etc do use stuff to in their opinion allow them induce them to have their paranormal experiences

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

You could say that about almost any skeptic here.

Amen to that. 

Idk I guess it could come off like that to some especially dear true believers who are understandably upset that they fully believe their experiences are real yet have nothing to show no evidence nothing but the story of said experience.

Yeah you guys are often under the assumption that folks owe you proof. More often than not they are just sharing their experiences. Not to say that you shouldn’t be part of the discussion. Just saying it often comes across as judgy. Especially when the explanation offered isn’t openly accepted. 

It's no secret I am a skeptic and when a tale of paranormal is shared here in a public discussion forum asking a person questions about their experiences isn't poking fun and when other possibilities are suggested that isn't poking fun either if a person says there experience can only be paranormal calling them closed minded and or credious isnt making fun its my observation.

So don’t get me wrong, I don’t really care either way, but it isn’t the questions that come across as poking fun. It’s more the condescending labels like “dear true believers”. Or your insistence on confused or laughing emoji’s. Often before you’ve even begun a conversation. Leading with that, well you know…..

Since all you said was it's your observation you didn't include anything specific do this for me post a quote I made where you feel I made fun of a person for believing in paranormal and we can go from there.

Sounds like work. I have enough of that lately. Again it was just an observation. You can take it or leave it brother. No thing. 

• Like 1

Really looking back through this thread there is very little you said that didn’t seem like you were on your high horse. You talked **** about all kinds of folks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Really looking back through this thread there is very little you said that didn’t seem like you were on your high horse. You talked **** about all kinds of folks. 

Well that sucks, I tried to be civil with you and it failed I asked for a specific and you damn my every word, tell you what I had you on ignore and will add you right back there trolling is something I can do without and yes, I fully recall your need for last word so go nuts with that I hope you feel better and maybe since I bring you such anguish put me on ignore.

You do you bro. I didn’t mean to offend. I’d ask ya though, go back through this thread. Especially the first few posts. Like seriously, look. 

I wasn't even judging you for it. You didn’t talk trash about me. Well accept to crap over my religious beliefs, but I’m used to that from all kinds of folks. My skin is thick. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, the13bats said:

And countless tribes people. Shaman etc do use stuff to in their opinion allow them induce them to have their paranormal experiences

Ceremonial and a short cut to the paranormal, a bad short cut. They'd be better being straight with the ceremony because all drugs do is distort reality and the other realm.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, openozy said:

Ceremonial and a short cut to the paranormal, a bad short cut. They'd be better being straight with the ceremony because all drugs do is distort reality and the other realm.

Assuming there is such thing as paranormal which hasn't been proven so we are circled back to the start.

3 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Assuming there is such thing as paranormal which hasn't been proven so we are circled back to the start.

It's not an assumption for me and countless others that realize that a scientific answer to this will most probably never exist. Because I've experienced this stuff first hand you need to prove it doesn't exist, which you will never do.

• Like 2

Just now, openozy said:

It's not an assumption for me and countless others that realize that a scientific answer to this will most probably never exist. Because I've experienced this stuff first hand you need to prove it doesn't exist, which you will never do.

Wrong , typical believer cop out,  never is the burden of proof on the skeptic it's on the person making the claims, I can't prove something never proven to start with doesn't exist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

You do you bro. I didn’t mean to offend. I’d ask ya though, go back through this thread. Especially the first few posts. Like seriously, look. 

I wasn't even judging you for it. You didn’t talk trash about me. Well accept to crap over my religious beliefs, but I’m used to that from all kinds of folks. My skin is thick. 

I was in a very obscure perhaps eccentric way trying to make a point I think I failed, yeah, I failed, I won't talk trash about your religion, seems my main reason I blocked you in the past was your really spooky totally emersed worship of tRump but that's a different section.

41 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Wrong , typical believer cop out,  never is the burden of proof on the skeptic it's on the person making the claims, I can't prove something never proven to start with doesn't exist.

Looks like your copping out, prove the paranormal doesn't exist if you're so sure. I already know it does so I don't need proof. Your unproven statement means nothing.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, the13bats said:

never is the burden of proof on the skeptic it's on the person making the claims

According to who, you, lol. There are no rules in this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, openozy said:

Looks like your copping out, prove the paranormal doesn't exist if you're so sure. I already know it does so I don't need proof. Your unproven statement means nothing.

You haven't changed much, if you know it exists take comfort in that and don't worry that you can't prove it, I assure you I don't care that you believe in something you can't prove.

I have however changed, I will as you will see can fully ignore trolling.

You haven't changed much, if you know it exists take comfort in that and don't worry that you can't prove it, I assure you I don't care that you believe in something you can't prove.

I have however changed, I will as you will see can fully ignore trolling.

The thing is you have never disproven any of my experiences so you're not a very dedicated skeptic, you just have your opinion which isn't much really. You are still the same, head buried in the sand and not willing to look outside the box. As for trolling, I'm sure you live under a bridge with three 🐐's 🤣.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, openozy said:

The thing is you have never disproven any of my experiences so you're not a very dedicated skeptic, you just have your opinion which isn't much really. You are still the same, head buried in the sand and not willing to look outside the box. As for trolling, I'm sure you live under a bridge with three 🐐's 🤣.

Ooh no, I'm a terrible skeptic and my heads in the sand, feel better?

And you are still sadly boring in your thinking a skeptic has the burden to prove your delusional claims are not paranormal, you missed where I said,

I assure you I don't care that you believe in something you can't prove.

• Confused 1

On 4/22/2024 at 5:38 PM, and-then said:

We are Christians so we dealt with it as believers in Christ will do.  We took some olive oil (symbol of the Holy Spirit) prayed over it for God to sanctify it for His purpose then prayed to invite the Holy Spirit into our home and used that oil to "annoint" that room and closet, especially.  The non-spiritual here will explain it in a different way but it worked and it worked IMMEDIATELY.  We never had another issue with that room or any other in our home.

My brothers once conducted a rather elaborate cleansing ritual to rid our home of an 'evil entity'. Not to brag or anything, but one perk of being both Jewish and Christian is having that much more in the way of fire power. In addition to holy water, my brothers armed themselves with a homemade crucifix, the Star of David, a bottle of olive oil, and a jar of strawberry jam. In case you didn't know, demons and other evil entities love jam, so a good way to neutralize them is to distract them with their favourite sweet treat (it's an old Jewish superstition).

The 'evil entity' my brothers were trying to neutralize, by the way, was me and their efforts backfired. They were grounded and I was taken out for ice cream. I was really young at the time, and although I knew a little something about the other items, I could not figure out the olive oil. My understanding now is that it's not the oil itself, but the intent behind it. Am I correct in this?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

My brothers once conducted a rather elaborate cleansing ritual to rid our home of an 'evil entity'. Not to brag or anything, but one perk of being both Jewish and Christian is having that much more in the way of fire power. In addition to holy water, my brothers armed themselves with a homemade crucifix, the Star of David, a bottle of olive oil, and a jar of strawberry jam. In case you didn't know, demons and other evil entities love jam, so a good way to neutralize them is to distract them with their favourite sweet treat (it's an old Jewish superstition).

The 'evil entity' my brothers were trying to neutralize, by the way, was me and their efforts backfired. They were grounded and I was taken out for ice cream. I was really young at the time, and although I knew a little something about the other items, I could not figure out the olive oil. My understanding now is that it's not the oil itself, but the intent behind it. Am I correct in this?

It's all about a focus, I mean like tossing a coin in a well or blowing out cake candles making wishes come true,

Let's say a believer thinks they need their house cleaned, they don't mean break out the Mr clean and Windex so a person walks around with sage. Maybe ups the game with candles which of course should be special color and oils for the job, maybe lay some trinkets in a window or doorway,

If the cleansing worked hail my powers if it didn't well you lacked faith.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, the13bats said:

It's all about a focus, I mean like tossing a coin in a well or blowing out cake candles making wishes come true,

Let's say a believer thinks they need their house cleaned, they don't mean break out the Mr clean and Windex so a person walks around with sage. Maybe ups the game with candles which of course should be special color and oils for the job, maybe lay some trinkets in a window or doorway,

If the cleansing worked hail my powers if it didn't well you lacked faith.

Yes I get all that, thanks. I was more interested in knowing whether certain items used for 'cleansing' were used because of their physical properties. Certain types of sage, for example, have antimicrobial properties and may also provide additional benefits, such as helping with mood disorders.

Some sample studies if you're interested:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4003706/

https://www.scielo.br/j/rbfar/a/p3kqjsDnN8fZxcdkgYbGQLC/?lang=en

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Yes I get all that, thanks. I was more interested in knowing whether certain items used for 'cleansing' were used because of their physical properties. Certain types of sage, for example, have antimicrobial properties and may also provide additional benefits, such as helping with mood disorders.

Some sample studies if you're interested:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4003706/

https://www.scielo.br/j/rbfar/a/p3kqjsDnN8fZxcdkgYbGQLC/?lang=en

Sorry. I seem to be in some type cognitive decline the last year or so getting that doesn't mix well with my OCD nerves issues, anyway point is I missed your point,

I worked in a sanitaria botanica,  Yes! Many things that are used in "magic" sure do have a base in actual science, I just happen to be making a concoction of lavender, rosemary , etc for a weird minor skin rash I have on a few fingers, not just sage but many herbs have antibacterial antiviral etc priorities so of course perhaps back before humans knew about bacteria they were using "cleansing" herbs that helped with stuff so it was hailed as "magic"

In fact I'm delighted that science is looking at natural remedies a bit more and not dismissing it as folk magic.

Edit to add

Let's take lavender since it's well known, it does have a calming effect on some people, in my 20s when I first got drdp and panic I used herbs then let a Dr talk me into benzos that bout killed me ,I don't drink. Smoke or take drugs but I do use herbs.

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 5:17 AM, openozy said:

Even when I was a firm believer in the paranormal, I never felt it was anyone's place to prove my experiences were legitimate.  If I was the one making the claims, I needed to back them up.  In the end it was me that disproved what I had experienced, maybe one day you may be able to look outside your own box and do the same.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/23/2024 at 4:50 AM, preacherman76 said:

Just an observation but it seems your interest here has more to do with poking fun at people who do believe in the paranormal. 

Among other things.  Some folks are just naturally wired to be trolls, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/24/2024 at 8:10 AM, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I could not figure out the olive oil. My understanding now is that it's not the oil itself, but the intent behind it. Am I correct in this?

Yes.  It is symbolic of the Holy Spirit.  The oil is just a symbol and the only thing that makes it "special" is the faith required by the individual who prays over it to sanctify it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, and-then said:

Among other things.  Some folks are just naturally wired to be trolls, I guess.

1 hour ago, and-then said:

Yes.  It is symbolic of the Holy Spirit.  The oil is just a symbol and the only thing that makes it "special" is the faith required by the individual who prays over it to sanctify it.  

Do you believe a person can conjure up a demon to do their bidding?