Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why The Crusades Were Awesome, Actually

OverSword

9 hours ago, lightly said:

Wow, this thread is educationamal!    ..been reading a little about them too..   learned that absolution from your sins was one of the benefits of volunteering.    & that the extreme costs of the ventures organized TAXATION into normalcy.  & that shipping men and materials was ,generally, very profitable (some things never change?)    I still have to wonder how much the Kings, & their loyalists, (repeatedly?) made on the holy wars.   Did god get a cut?..or go into debt?  :P   Maybe HE suffered an identity crisis!?  ..possibly a nervous breakdown?

It was quite an interesting time -- corruption, adultery, rape, murder, genocide... just when you think our times are dreadful it does the heart good to take a ramble through the details of previous times.  Makes our difficulties look very small.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kenemet said:

It was quite an interesting time -- corruption, adultery, rape, murder, genocide... just when you think our times are dreadful it does the heart good to take a ramble through the details of previous times.  Makes our difficulties look very small.

I call it purpose and ambition. This is what men need in this world. A religious war to give us purpose 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

I call it purpose and ambition. This is what men need in this world. A religious war to give us purpose 

There are other things that give us purpose.  Killing one another shouldn't be our purpose (nor should a one world religion be a purpose, either... even if it's Christianity.)

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Kenemet said:

Reminds me of the old curse .. may you live in interesting times.  ;)       Another old saying…Sleep on it…I woke up thinking about the crusades :P   and ,to me, a striking similarity between the fear of Muslim Hordes invading Europe…and the Communist Hordes threats we grew up hearing.  I can almost hear the speeches from those long ago times .. ‘We must fight them  over there,  OR ELSE!  we will surely have to fight them Here at home’ !!   Far away wars are far more appealing and $upportable to a populace than one in their own neighborhood. ?

Yes, thanks Kenemet, I guess the difficulties of our times may look smaller…from a relatively safe distance?   ..but I also guess our times are capable of making our small difficulties Larger than anything in history!?   

Edited by lightly
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

I assume, and hope, your kidding.  🥰

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, lightly said:

I can almost hear the speeches from those long ago times .. ‘We must fight them  over there,  OR ELSE!  we will surely have to fight them Here at home’ 

The chants of the time were “God Wills It” by the First Crusaders and “God is great” by the Muslims.

Either one of them was wrong, or God’s a genocidal maniac with a twisted sense of humor.

Edited by Antigonos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Antigonos said:

The chants of the time were “God Wills It” by the First Crusaders and “God is great” by the Muslims.

Either they were both wrong or God’s a genocidal maniac with a twisted sense of humor.

All I know is,  war is wrong.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Antigonos said:

Either one of them was wrong, or God’s a genocidal maniac with a twisted sense of humor.

El and Yahweh were both genocidal maniacs and spiritual parasites so I go with suggestion number two.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, lightly said:

Only when you’re losing

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Antigonos said:

They could be right but that doesn't mean that they were or that God cared.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, lightly said:

War is an effective way to enforce a hierarchy and hierarchies is how humanity naturally organizes itself.  Hopefully we will find a better way to organize the world order soon.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

They could be right but that doesn't mean that they were or that God cared.

My sentiments exactly.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, OverSword said:

War is an effective way to enforce a hierarchy and hierarchies is how humanity naturally organizes itself.  Hopefully we will find a better way to organize the world order soon.

We/war are/is our only natural predator to cull the weak. War also creates innovation.

It was Steppe nomads who developed the spoked wheel, the best metallurgy and best medical practices because they were the most warlike.  

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Piney said:

We/war are/is our only natural predator to cull the weak. War also creates innovation.

It was Steppe nomads who developed the spoked wheel, the best metallurgy and best medical practices because they were the most warlike.  

And why do you think they were the most warlike? 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Because their lifestyle and economy was based on raiding more than trading? 

Khanates and tribal alliances were rising and falling and pushing each other all over Central Asia and into Europe?

Edited by Piney
brain fart
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Here's a factoid for you.

A Sarmatian/Alan woman couldn't marry unless she killed 3 men in single combat. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Piney said:

Here's a factoid for you.

A Sarmatian/Alan woman couldn't marry unless she killed 3 men in single combat. 

I'd probably be in the pile of three somewhere :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

withing the first 45 seconds of this vid:

So Ridley Scott is an atheist only with regards to the Christian faith? 

19 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

The dearth of religious wars has led us to substitute extreme sports and that great southern invention preceded by "Hey Y'all watch this!"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Piney said:

I’m not convinced. I believe the steppe nomads traded with Chinese, Greeks, Euphrates civilisations and Persian for this gold and silver works of art or captured artisans. Otherwise the nomads would have needs a system of monetary value like coins of their own to fuel internal trade. Something that has yet to be proven

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

The dearth of religious wars has led us to substitute extreme sports and that great southern invention preceded by "Hey Y'all watch this!"

I hear you brother. Drinking wine from your enemies skull use to be a thing … now it’s boring Gatorade in 3 refreshing and hydrating flavours 

• Haha 5

On 4/25/2024 at 11:35 AM, CrimsonKing said:

I've been playing Assassin's Creed recently, currently been all through Italy and next up Constantinople during the Ottoman reign...

Recently got the Valhalla one as well,set during the Viking era...going to have to get the Siege of Paris to go along with it.

Those games are pretty well rounded for games anyway...very good visuals for recreating days gone bye.

Hi Crimson

I don't play video games because it's not real to me, I'm more the knee him in the nuts and punch him in the throat when he's folding over kind of guy and never played a video game that could match the

at. And you have know idea how much fun I had driving even if there was a lot of screaming.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

I don't play video games because it's not real to me, I'm more the knee him in the nuts and punch him in the throat

most who play vid games are the same i'm sure- what makes you think they may not be?

Edited by Dejarma

5 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

most who play vid games are the same i'm sure- what makes you think they may not be?

Hi Dejrma

How others interact with tech is not me as I have limited interest outside of finding information and spending some time here, I build things Meaning I take them from and idea and make a reality for it. My sense experience is very different in that is how I create. Playing a game has no sense experience for me and never will and if others not addicted to but playing video games have rolled the dice like I have on my/their life and not my money great for them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

I’m not convinced. I believe the steppe nomads traded with Chinese, Greeks, Euphrates civilisations and Persian for this gold and silver works of art or captured artisans. Otherwise the nomads would have needs a system of monetary value like coins of their own to fuel internal trade. Something that has yet to be proven

They most certainly traded with all them. They just were warlike as hell. 

Edit: The Persians started out as invading nomads. 

Edited by Piney
brain fart
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1