Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Four injured as runaway military horses bolt through central London

Still Waters

Four people have been taken to hospital after five runaway horses of the Household Cavalry threw off their riders and raced through London.

The horses, one of which was covered in blood, caused chaos as they roamed the city centre and collided with vehicles, including a double-decker bus and taxi.

They initially became spooked by loud construction during a routine military exercise in Belgravia, the Army said.

Officers said the horses had been recovered and returned to camp.

Two of the animals were finally recovered in Limehouse in east London, more than five miles from where the incident began. The Army said they were undergoing veterinary care.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68887800

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

I hope everyone is alright. Loud noises can spook any animal. It happens everywhere. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Time Magazine is reporting today that 2 of the 5 horses are in serious condition and being treated. This is such sad news. I'm thinking they may not be useful as military horses anymore but if they survive, I do hope some kind souls will take them and retire them to pasture to live out the rest of their days.

Military Horses That Escaped in London In Serious Condition | TIME

LONDON — Two military horses that bolted and ran miles through the streets of London after being spooked by construction noise and tossing their riders were in serious condition after undergoing operations, a U.K. government official said Thursday.

Two of the horses underwent operations and one was transferred to an equine hospital, the British Army posted on X.

“Three of them are fine, two of them are unfortunately in a relatively serious condition and obviously we will be monitoring that condition,” defense minister James Cartlidge told Sky News. “They are in a serious condition, but as I understand, still alive.”

Edited by susieice
  • Sad 3

Just saw this article. :cry: :wub:

Blood-soaked horse Vida may never serve again after London rampage injuries (msn.com)

Two ceremonial Army horses seriously injured after bolting through central London on Wednesday may never be able to perform their duties again.

Vida, a grey pictured covered in blood as it charged through the streets, has undergone surgery and is resting under observation in Hyde Park Barracks.

Another horse with worse injuries, named Quaker, was transferred to an equine hospital after undergoing surgery.

Both Quaker and Vida are being closely monitored, and doubts remain as to whether they will recover enough to resume active duties.

The other two Household Cavalry horses that bolted, named Trojan and Tennyson, are resting under the observation of Army veterinary officers, but are expected to make full recoveries and resume their duties shortly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Posted (edited)

The good news is that the 3 guards who were thrown from their mounts were hospitalized with injuries but expected to fully recover and return to duty. I saw yesterday that a cyclist was also injured and in the hospital but I don't see an update on their condition.

Spooked Household Cavalry horses bolt through central London injuring soldiers and public (msn.com)

2 military horses that broke free and ran loose across London are in serious condition - ABC News (go.com)

Three soldiers thrown from their steeds were hospitalized with injuries, but were expected to fully recover and return to work.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 5

On 4/25/2024 at 4:27 AM, susieice said:

I hope everyone is alright. Loud noises can spook any animal. It happens everywhere. 

Loud noises are common and horses being spooked more so but there’s something creepy about watching two horses galloping around, bloodied, riderless through London. It’s almost like an ominous sign of bad things to come. Any prognosticators out there?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Loud noises are common and horses being spooked more so but there’s something creepy about watching two horses galloping around, bloodied, riderless through London. It’s almost like an ominous sign of bad things to come. Any prognosticators out there?

I heard a construction company was working nearby and dropped concrete down a chute from a pretty high spot. It was pretty close to where the horses were and loud. The horse was bloodied because it ran into a vehicle and broke glass. There was a couple that did. I heard one ran into a bus and broke the windshield. Another ran into a taxi and broke the window. It's sad when this happens but I don't think it's an ominous sign. It's just something that happened. Here in the US a lot of our big cities have mounted police, including New York and Philadelphia. The two fairly large cities where I am have them too. They use them at the big festivals here in the area and Bethlehem also uses them for patrol duties. No one has been spooked yet but it's always a possibility. There's a lot of videos showing the Household Calvary riding through the streets and everything is fine. The horses are well trained and fine but I've seen videos of them being spooked too. I've seen videos of protesters blowing whistles at the Horseguard and upsetting the horses. That really upsets me because those people know what they're doing. What happened at the construction site was an accident and not at all intentional.

A month or so ago, I posted about a horse from a riding academy in Philadelphia that got loose and was running down an interstate. Thankfully it was very early in the morning before there was really a lot of traffic. The owners of the academy think someone didn't have the stall properly secured.

Just about three weeks ago, a circus in Butte, Montana was bathing an elephant and a car backfired. The elephant went through a fence and took off down the road. 

Runaway circus elephant stops traffic in Montana (bbc.com)

• Thanks 4

9 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

I feel as if it's more like a representation of what is already occurring. Anyone here read 'Behold A Pale Horse' by William Cooper?

(Five horses involved in the incident in London . . . . so close to being the four horses of the Apocalypse! So close.) :lol:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

I feel as if it's more like a representation of what is already occurring. Anyone here read 'Behold A Pale Horse' by William Cooper?

(Five horses involved in the incident in London . . . . so close to being the four horses of the Apocalypse! So close.) :lol:

A spare horse maybe?

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Unusual Tournament said:

A spare horse maybe?

That makes sense. If you're staging a huge production like The Apocalypse you don't want it ruined when a horse goes lame, you need to have a spare on standby to immediately take its place. :tu:

• Like 3

On 4/24/2024 at 7:27 PM, susieice said:

Then these animals should not be in places where they are likely to be spooked, especially places where the potential consequences to either animals or people is injury or death.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Then these animals should not be in places where they are likely to be spooked, especially places where the potential consequences to either animals or people is injury or death.  

So animals shouldn't be subjected to torment from people. There's a lot of livestock in Ireland. I'm sure they get loose once in a while.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, susieice said:

So animals shouldn't be subjected to torment from people. There's a lot of livestock in Ireland. I'm sure they get loose once in a while.

Yes, Susieice, we agree that animals should not be subjected to torment from people. And, yes, there is a lot of livestock in Ireland and some get loose on occasion, but that is not my point. 

Bustling city centres are no place for animals who may be startled and run out of control to their own detriment and that of innocent people. 

• Like 2

The horses of the Household Cavalry are trained by the Army for several months and ridden on the streets of London to get them used to heavy traffic and loud noises, including gun salutes and military bands.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68908148

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Still Waters said:

I never doubted that they were acclimatised to the city environment. We have mounted police in Dublin who do likewise with their animals, but it does not undermine my point. All these animals should not be in city centres where there is the potential for serious injury to the animals or people once they are spooked and run out of control. 

In today's update, the Army said the horses continue to be taken care of and now they are saying all 4 may be able to return to duty at some point. The gray, Vida, is the one that the Army vets are keeping a close eye on due to a cut on his knee that they hope doesn't develop an infection. There is no indication that any of the injured horses suffered broken limbs and there are no plans to put down any of the horses. The Horse Trust and several individuals have offered to take the horses for their retirement if they can't return to duty. Good and kind souls.

Household Cavalry horses injured in London rampage may be rehomed (msn.com)

The Household Cavalry said on Friday that it would accept the rehoming offers if needed, but it still hopes the four injured animals will be able to resume active service and is concentrating on getting the horses fit and well enough to return to work.

• Like 3

Even if the horses recover physically, I would still be worried that they would overreact to any loud noise in the future . . . especially the two that bolted for 5miles. Also, I don't think the blood that was on the grey horse was solely from a knee wound. That horse lost a lot of blood from a chest wound IMO.

• Like 4

It's not loud noises. It could be anything which is why you need to be alert for any situation.

This guy was fully police/military trained and you could shoot a gun next to his head. Loud motorcycles didn't even bother him, but he once came apart over a propane powered tractor which are quiet. 

39571_490837287526_6261330_n.jpg.c1edba6f6af49a3037319157f39019f4.jpg.c2d88038adf48891e009d8b80b457b43.jpg.b591c0b9b24b08fdd4bb566968de89da.jpg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Piney said:

39571_490837287526_6261330_n.jpg.c1edba6f6af49a3037319157f39019f4.jpg.c2d88038adf48891e009d8b80b457b43.jpg.b591c0b9b24b08fdd4bb566968de89da.jpg

Heavens! I don't know who is more handsome, the horse or his rider! :blush:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Heavens! I don't know who is more handsome, the horse or his rider! :blush:

I was 18. I'm old and grizzled now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Piney said:

I was 18. I'm old and grizzled now.

I remember 18. Sigh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Even if the horses recover physically, I would still be worried that they would overreact to any loud noise in the future . . . especially the two that bolted for 5miles. Also, I don't think the blood that was on the grey horse was solely from a knee wound. That horse lost a lot of blood from a chest wound IMO.

I agree. Those horses had a bad experience and ran into vehicles that caused them injury. Their fear is going to be very real. And that will not only be a danger to the horse but also the rider. They should be retired.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Horses have been our slaves ànd source of food for many thousands of years.

Anyone riding a horse should acknowledge the fact that horses do not serve us out of free will.

At some point they will run from us, from our noises, from our behaviour.

They are sensitive beings.

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I found an update from May 10 and 11 on the condition of the injured horses. It's good to hear all the horses are making good progress.

What happened to London runaway horses that bolted through the city? (yahoo.com)

Two military horses seriously injured after running loose through London last week are making 'remarkable progress" after surgery, the British Army has said.

Quaker, a Cavalry black, and a grey called Vida bolted off after being spooked by builders moving rubble while they were on an extended exercise in Belgravia with five other horses and six soldiers from the Household Cavalry last Wednesday.

An Army spokesperson told The Independent: "Healing can be a slow and unpredictable process, but the soldiers and horses injured in the incident in Westminster on 24th April are making remarkable progress.

• Thanks 2