Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Forbidden Planet

mw.decavia

This is just a thought experiment I have been reflecting upon, regarding reports of psychic/paranormal/anomalous phenomena.  (posted here to entice feedback and/or discussion)

In the classic SF movie "Forbidden Planet", on the far away planet of Altair 4 16.7 LY from Sol, there was the Krell Machine. A huge complex of energy production ready to (unthinkingly,unquestioningly) manifest anything wanted by the appropriate mind. Which for the sake of that story happened to sort-of be Morbius.

But what if the krell machine was not so far away? What if the Forbidden Planet is Earth? With something like the krell machine either beneath the earth's surface or perhaps inside the moon? Which has been here for millions of years, since before there were humans or even mammals.

But not a machine dumbly fulfilling every detectable human thought. But rather an advanced AI with a completely non-human awareness, which has decided to study earth's life forms (for reasons beyond our understanding) and occasionally manifests what it thinks our wishes are. To observe the effects.

And so, the many instances of psychic/paranormal phenomena reported colloquially throughout human history not being because human minds have any power of their own, but because some -thing- is answering wishes it thinks are interesting.

Perhaps this could even explain diverse phenoma like residual hauntings, taking recordings of human minds at their moment of death and running them as simulations in it's own matrix.

Perhaps even ufo phenomena. Why should spacecraft travel many lightyears to earth, just so they can perform acrobatics to amaze and bewilder human observers on the ground? Unless that is their purpose, and their source is close by?

Just a thought experiment.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mw.decavia said:

an advanced AI with a completely non-human awareness, which ... occasionally manifests what it thinks our wishes are. ...

some -thing- is answering wishes it thinks are interesting.

It's called God.

6 hours ago, mw.decavia said:

This is just a thought experiment I have been reflecting upon, regarding reports of psychic/paranormal/anomalous phenomena.  (posted here to entice feedback and/or discussion)

In the classic SF movie "Forbidden Planet", on the far away planet of Altair 4 16.7 LY from Sol, there was the Krell Machine. A huge complex of energy production ready to (unthinkingly,unquestioningly) manifest anything wanted by the appropriate mind. Which for the sake of that story happened to sort-of be Morbius.

But what if the krell machine was not so far away? What if the Forbidden Planet is Earth? With something like the krell machine either beneath the earth's surface or perhaps inside the moon? Which has been here for millions of years, since before there were humans or even mammals.

But not a machine dumbly fulfilling every detectable human thought. But rather an advanced AI with a completely non-human awareness, which has decided to study earth's life forms (for reasons beyond our understanding) and occasionally manifests what it thinks our wishes are. To observe the effects.

And so, the many instances of psychic/paranormal phenomena reported colloquially throughout human history not being because human minds have any power of their own, but because some -thing- is answering wishes it thinks are interesting.

Perhaps this could even explain diverse phenoma like residual hauntings, taking recordings of human minds at their moment of death and running them as simulations in it's own matrix.

Perhaps even ufo phenomena. Why should spacecraft travel many lightyears to earth, just so they can perform acrobatics to amaze and bewilder human observers on the ground? Unless that is their purpose, and their source is close by?

I think you think too much about things that have no merit to even be thought about.  Unless of course, you are writing your own novel.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ell said:

It's called God.

Why would that be?  It isn't any god I can think of.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Why would that be?  It isn't any god I can think of.

Phrases from Hamlet in common English

Act I, scene 5:

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,

Than are dreamt of in your philosophy".

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Ell said:

Phrases from Hamlet in common English

Act I, scene 5:

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,

Than are dreamt of in your philosophy".

Yeah, but if your philosophy is Christianity, it's pretty predictable, huh?  A wizard did it...  i.e. an old guy with a long beard and magic powers whose name is YHVH.  Oops!  What a giveaway !  M. Knight Shamalamalama never saw that twist coming, did he ? 🙄

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Haha 1

People have lots of weird ideas about God. In my opinion and according to my definitions that constitutes sufficient evidence to conclude that most people are crazy and that most people are animals.

24 minutes ago, Ell said:

People have lots of weird ideas about God. In my opinion and according to my definitions that constitutes sufficient evidence to conclude that most people are crazy and that most people are animals.

All people are human...animal is something else.  Human is part of the animal kingdom, but is not 'animal'.  Animals are wild and eat each other.  We are domesticated and eat only the other animals. 

Belief is a tradition that has been handed down from generation to generation for so long it is more or less in our DNA.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ell said:

It's called God.

So, if this thought experiment were true

an AI-controlled machine;
built by someone non-human (possibly aliens);
quite powerful but did not create the universe, or the earth, or even the
human species

Which observes us like a scientist might,
but does not really understand the human experience
And we do not understand it's calculated thoughts

But occasionally it makes paranormal-looking incidents take place,
for curiousity's sake,
partially based on our thoughts and wishes

but does not micro-manage human affairs

You consider that "god"?
Or do you mean "a god", like maybe "Loki"?

1 hour ago, mw.decavia said:

an AI-controlled machine;
built by someone non-human (possibly aliens);
quite powerful but did not create the universe, or the earth, or even the
human species

Which observes us like a scientist might,
but does not really understand the human experience
And we do not understand it's calculated thoughts

But occasionally it makes paranormal-looking incidents take place,
for curiousity's sake,
partially based on our thoughts and wishes

but does not micro-manage human affairs

You consider that "god"?
Or do you mean "a god", like maybe "Loki"?

When someone mentions a traffic light, there are lots of people who paranormally know in which streets it stands, in which city and country and on what continent that street is, how many people had sexual intercourse beneath that traffic light and on which days and which times of the days, and how many airplanes colleded with that traffic light. They all must have become billionaires by speculating on the stock exchange already.

On 4/28/2024 at 4:07 AM, joc said:

I think you think too much about things that have no merit to even be thought about.  Unless of course, you are writing your own novel.

Oh well, if everyone thinks the idea has no merit to even consider.

Even just in one facet, bigfoot/sasquatch/whatever-the-local-name, I thought that something like the id-monster from the Forbidden Planet movie could explain the phenomena much better than a flesh-and-blood creature could.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mw.decavia said:

Even just in one facet, bigfoot/sasquatch/whatever-the-local-name, I thought that something like the id-monster from the Forbidden Planet movie could explain the phenomena much better than a flesh-and-blood creature could.

That's fine, I just live in the real world that's all. I'm not a really a big fan of Hollywood I have to tell you.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 10:12 AM, Ell said:

Considering that god is an idea, no idea is ever going to be universally correct or provable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2024 at 4:15 PM, mw.decavia said:

At most it's not a machine in the highly advanced sense. It's the memetic nature of the internet. Someone thinks a location is haunted. Placing the idea in the public's head. This idea grows, people experience self-induced psychosomatic sensations, auditory hallucinations, and even visual hallucination because of it. A sort of tulpa is formed from this. Making a place that was never haunted, haunted. Kind of hard to explain. Basically people haunt themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2024 at 12:12 AM, Ell said:

Matthew 7:1-3 

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Thou sayeth people art crazy and yet like unto beasts in thine eye.  So too hast thou, in thy sinful pride been found wanting, for who art thou to claim special covenant with the Lord God, o' Ell?  Repent thy sin lest ye be cast down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

Thou sayeth people art crazy and yet like unto beasts in thine eye. 

I include myself in that judgment.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ell said:

I include myself in that judgment.

Fair enough then. 😄

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 10:49 PM, mw.decavia said:

The idea is not far away from a simulated world with something running in the background controlling our universe. 

Strange events are glitches in the matrix or an attempt to nudge the universes occupants in a particular direction. 

On 4/27/2024 at 9:07 PM, joc said:

I think about stuff like that all the time and wish I could write a novel.

• Like 2