Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

College campuses are in chaos with arrests being made all over the US

susieice

8 minutes ago, susieice said:

The school lied to try and cover up or they knew other people were coming on campus. I fear it will digress to that bottom line I copied.

It did digress to that. From the link in your last line:

Meanwhile, a UT Austin spokesperson says that guns were found on its campus hidden in a breezeway on Monday, Fox 7 Austin reports. Buckets of large rocks, bricks, steel-reinforced wood planks, mallets and chains were all found on campus belonging to protesters.

Imagine what might have happened had police not found this stuff.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Students are complaining. Some because they're being stopped from carrying out their actions. Others because they are afraid.

College students who protested and those who didn't share in disappointment at response from schools (nbcnews.com)

Using big words she doesn't understand. What was she doing?

Arwyn Heilrayne, 19, a freshman at the University of Texas at Austin who also was arrested, said the school’s response to the students was enraging.

“I feel like I’m almost mourning a piece of a legacy that I thought I was stepping into,” the third-generation University of Texas student said.

“How dare they do this to my peers? The militarization of our campus makes me deeply angry,” she said.

Edited by susieice
  • Thanks 1

Then there's these poor kids. From above link....

Universities have also drawn the ire of both Jewish and Muslim students who believe their warnings about rises in antisemitism and Islamophobia on campus since the start of the Israel-Hamas war on Oct. 7 have gone unaddressed.

Jacob Schmeltz, who graduated from Columbia this month, said he believed Columbia and other universities were supposed to be places that foster rational conversations around the most contentious topics and encourage dialogue “even across really painful and divisive issues.”

“Unfortunately, I have been thinking a lot about how Columbia has specifically failed this test in this regard,” said Schmeltz, 22, who is the vice president of the Jewish on Campus Student Union.

He said he was relieved to be graduating and putting the last semester behind him.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, susieice said:

There is no longer any doubt in my mind they are being trained to do this stuff. Barbed wire? Blockades? Really? 

They've found booklets on how to take over these campuses amongst other "training" material at some of these campuses already...

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

It did digress to that. From the link in your last line:

Meanwhile, a UT Austin spokesperson says that guns were found on its campus hidden in a breezeway on Monday, Fox 7 Austin reports. Buckets of large rocks, bricks, steel-reinforced wood planks, mallets and chains were all found on campus belonging to protesters.

Imagine what might have happened had police not found this stuff.

It will come to that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, susieice said:

Universities have also drawn the ire of both Jewish and Muslim students who believe their warnings about rises in antisemitism and Islamophobia on campus since the start of the Israel-Hamas war on Oct. 7 have gone unaddressed.

One solution Canada has come up with is to have a parliamentary committee conduct studies of antisemitism and Islamophobia on and off university campuses and propose ways to tackle the problem. More specifically, the justice committee will "undertake a study on the issue of antisemitism and a study on the issue of Islamophobia and the additional measures that could be taken to address the valid fears that are being expressed by Canada's Jewish and Muslim communities." It will be interesting to see what comes of it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/parliament-committee-study-antisemitism-islamophobia-1.7150995

Edited by Kittens Are Jerks
Minor correction.
  • Like 2

@susieice An interesting opinion piece on why progressives hate Israel.

From the article:

Call me naive: I don’t believe that all these keffiyeh-wearing, quad-occupying students are simply rabid antisemites. The real reason why progressives hate Israel is both simpler and more complex than that: Israel is a threat because of its success.

It is a threat because it shows what a battered, penniless people can accomplish in a single generation. It is a threat because it proves that the worst oppressions and atrocities do not have to determine a nation’s fate. It is a threat because it demonstrates that post-colonial countries do not have to devolve into despotic tyrannies.

In other words, Israel is a threat because it challenges the tenets of modern progressive dogma. It is easier for them to believe instead that Israel’s successes - its stellar human rights record, its diverse and vibrant democracy, its flourishing economy - are somehow due to thieving and immorality than it is to admit that triumph over adversity is possible on a personal, national and cultural scale.

https://www.jpost.com/opinion/article-801650

• Like 2

Anti-Israel protesters set up encampment at Drexel University, reports of antisemitism

Anti-Israel protesters set up a new encampment at Drexel University in Philadelphia over the weekend, prompting a lockdown of school buildings, a day after authorities thwarted an attempted occupation of a school building at the neighboring University of Pennsylvania campus.

Up to 60 protesters were at the encampment on the campus’ Korman Quad Sunday, Drexel President John Fry says, adding that the university is speaking with demonstrators — most of whom he says are not affiliated with the school —in an effort to end the protest.

“This demonstration already has proved intolerably disruptive to normal University operations and has raised serious concerns about the conduct of some participants, including distressing reports and images of protesters subjecting passersby to antisemitic speech, signs and chants,” Fry says, declaring that “this encampment must end.”

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/anti-israel-protesters-set-up-encampment-at-drexel-university-reports-of-antisemitism/

• Thanks 1

Counter protesters at UCLA using speakers to interrupt the pro-Palestinian camp from sleeping.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Anti-Israel protesters set up encampment at Drexel University, reports of antisemitism

Anti-Israel protesters set up a new encampment at Drexel University in Philadelphia over the weekend, prompting a lockdown of school buildings, a day after authorities thwarted an attempted occupation of a school building at the neighboring University of Pennsylvania campus.

Up to 60 protesters were at the encampment on the campus’ Korman Quad Sunday, Drexel President John Fry says, adding that the university is speaking with demonstrators — most of whom he says are not affiliated with the school —in an effort to end the protest.

“This demonstration already has proved intolerably disruptive to normal University operations and has raised serious concerns about the conduct of some participants, including distressing reports and images of protesters subjecting passersby to antisemitic speech, signs and chants,” Fry says, declaring that “this encampment must end.”

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/anti-israel-protesters-set-up-encampment-at-drexel-university-reports-of-antisemitism/

I was just going to post. Drexel is camping out now.

Drexel University campus on lockdown as president calls for end to pro-Palestinian encampment - 6abc Philadelphia

• Thanks 2

Yale students stage graduation walkout to protest Gaza war

Scores of graduating students have staged a walkout from Yale University’s commencement exercises, protesting the Israeli war in Gaza, Yale’s financial ties to weapons makers and its response to pro-Palestinian demonstrations on the Ivy League campus.

The walkout began as Yale President Peter Salovey started to announce the traditional college-by-college presentation of candidates for degrees on the grounds of Yale’s Old Campus, filled with thousands of graduates in their caps and gowns.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/yale-students-stage-graduation-walkout-to-protest-gaza-war/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

NYC deputy mayor charges Washington Post after story on pro-Israel Jewish entrepreneurs

A deputy of Mayor Eric Adams has charged the Washington Post with antisemitism for publishing a story about wealthy Jews organizing an advocacy campaign for Israel and pressing the mayor to take action against anti-Israel protests at Columbia University.

https://www.jpost.com/diaspora/antisemitism/article-801609

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Anti-Israel Harvard activists won't graduate as suspensions stand

Anti-Israel Harvard University student groups said that 15 activists will be unable to graduate with the rest of the student body on Tuesday with suspensions remaining in effect, according to them breaking the deal between the administration and protest encampment for its dissolution.

https://www.jpost.com/bds-threat/article-802004

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Police break up University of Michigan encampment; New School to hold divestment vote

US police broke up a pro-Palestinian, anti-Israel encampment Tuesday at the University of Michigan, less than a week after demonstrators showed up at the home of a school official and placed fake body bags on her lawn.

Officers wearing helmets with face shields moved in before sunrise to clear the Diag, known for decades as a site for campus protests. Video footage posted online showed police at times using what appeared to be an irritant to spray people, who were forced to retreat.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/police-break-up-university-of-michigan-encampment-new-school-to-hold-divestment-vote/

• Like 2

On 5/12/2024 at 7:53 PM, susieice said:

Imagine the world in which these young people held the power to do as they please on these issues.  

• Like 4

On 5/18/2024 at 11:00 AM, Doug1066 said:

It's down to 32 hours!  Breaking out the beer!

Doug

20 hours left.

My little dog that I mentioned was diagnosed with cancer about a year-and-half-ago, died yesterday.  The cancer finally got her.  She was a sweety.  She didn't get to play doggy tennis with me in retirement.

My daughter's birthday party is tomorrow.  I have a retirement party on Thursday and a dinner party on Friday.  I'm going to be stuffed.

Retirement is lining up to be just as busy as working.

Soug

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, and-then said:

Imagine the world in which these young people held the power to do as they please on these issues.  

One day, they will.

And us old farts will have to like it.

Doug

52 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

20 hours left.

My little dog that I mentioned was diagnosed with cancer about a year-and-half-ago, died yesterday.  The cancer finally got her.  She was a sweety.  She didn't get to play doggy tennis with me in retirement.

My daughter's birthday party is tomorrow.  I have a retirement party on Thursday and a dinner party on Friday.  I'm going to be stuffed.

Retirement is lining up to be just as busy as working.

Soug

Sorry to hear about your dog Doug,they are family members as well...

I don't know if retirement age will even be a thing by the time I get there,but I've known and met several older folks throughout the years that have repeated that exact same thing.

• Like 3

Donors continue to tighten the purse strings.

College Donors Revolt Against Ivy League Schools (msn.com)

The donor revolt that began last fall at elite universities over the Israel-Hamas conflict—when major philanthropists such as Ronald Lauder, Marc Rowan, and Jon Huntsman (University of Pennsylvania); and Bill Ackman and Leslie and Abigail Wexner (Harvard) announced they were ending their financial support of those schools— has only grown more heightened as the conflict itself has escalated.

As the tumult in the Middle East has incited Pro-Palestinian protests and encampments on campuses; graduation ceremony cancellations; and in some cases even violence, more donors are slamming their pocketbooks shut.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, susieice said:

Donors continue to tighten the purse strings.

Donors on BOTH sides, with universities now finding themselves caught between a rock and a hard place.

It would be interesting to see who's on the list of donors at each of the universities.

• Like 4

Police break up University of Michigan encampment; New School to hold divestment vote

US police broke up a pro-Palestinian, anti-Israel encampment Tuesday at the University of Michigan, less than a week after demonstrators showed up at the home of a school official and placed fake body bags on her lawn.

Officers wearing helmets with face shields moved in before sunrise to clear the Diag, known for decades as a site for campus protests. Video footage posted online showed police at times using what appeared to be an irritant to spray people, who were forced to retreat.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/police-break-up-university-of-michigan-encampment-new-school-to-hold-divestment-vote/

• Like 3

I was wondering why pro-Palestinian student (and other) protesters were relatively quiet about the ICC warrant applications, and then, like magic, this article popped up in my news alerts:

Anti-Israel activist groups don't care about the ICC warrant applications

With International Criminal Court Chief Prosecutor Karim Khan’s announcement on Monday about the application for arrest warrants against Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Yoav Gallant, it was expected that the anti-Israel organizations of the post-October 7 protest movement would celebrate to mirror the dismay of pro-Israel groups.

In contrast to the endless stream of condemnations from Jewish organizations of every denomination and purpose, the flurry of opinion pieces, and the castigations of the ICC by Israeli politicians, the protest groups have issued a few statements and social media posts about the warrant application.

https://www.jpost.com/diaspora/article-802041

• Thanks 1

'We are not afraid': US university students arrive in Israel as antisemitism rocks campuses

A delegation of pro-Israel Jewish student leaders from universities embroiled in campus anti-Israel activity has arrived in Israel to develop strategies to combat antisemitism and anti-Israel propaganda on their campuses.

The two dozen students from the group hail from universities such as Columbia, Rutgers, New York University, Western Ontario University, and the University of Texas, among others.

The student leaders are scheduled to engage with top Israeli officials, hear first-hand testimonies from survivors of the October 7 massacre in the south of Israel, meet with family members of hostages held in Gaza, and visit the Southern Gaza border communities, including Kibbutzim, affected by the terrorist attacks.

https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/article-802246

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1