Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do you always dream from the perspective that you are a human being?

Alex_Rogan

It may have been a fever dream, but I dreamt from the perspective that I was a dog.

I can't recall any dream I've had where I wasn't my actual self. It was so weird.

It left me wondering if others have had dreams from the perspective of being another species. 

I'd love to hear stories about it from anyone out there.

• Like 3

I have had dreams that I wasn't in and seemed to be watching the dream like a movie but not from the perspective of a dog.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

I have had dreams that I wasn't in and seemed to be watching the dream like a movie but not from the perspective of a dog.

Right. I'm sure lots of people have had dreams "from a birds eye view" or an omnipresent viewpoint.

This dream had a "dogs eye view" with the feeling of four legs, using the nose to lift or move things with a muzzle. 

In the dream, there was wreckage - broken buildings and destruction - and in the dream I was searching for survivors. It was so vivid. 

Certainly the weirdest fever dream I've experienced. The fever has broken and I'm feeling better. 

At the end of the dream, I found people among the wreckage and found a sense of safety.

It wasn't so much a nightmare, as it was the weirdest dream I've ever dreamt. 

I'm still wondering if others have had "out of species" dreams. 

(please, don't let the 'furries' enter this topic. lol)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I haven't thought about it in years but I have had one time such a dream sorta, I was a hybrid man animal like maybe a creature from island of Dr Monroe,

I was not a conscious human , it didn't last long as it trigger my nerves and I woke trying to panic

And yeah, I believe I was sick at the time

• Like 2

6 hours ago, the13bats said:

I haven't thought about it in years but I have had one time such a dream sorta, I was a hybrid man animal like maybe a creature from island of Dr Monroe.

Ahh yes, Dr. Monroe.  Famed for the Monroe Doctrine "Are we not men?". (I think you mean the Island of Dr. Moreau). 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I think I dreamt being some kind of demon once, or maybe a leader over demons, but I don't remember anything about the dream.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Ahh yes, Dr. Monroe.  Famed for the Monroe Doctrine "Are we not men?". (I think you mean the Island of Dr. Moreau). 😄

Auto correct and poor vision but you knew what I meant even though your reply had zero to do with threads topic

• Thanks 1

In years past, I sometimes had dreams in which I transcended being only human and I could communicate with members of other species.

Those dreams always started out with me encountering people who looked like escapees from Dr Moreau's island. With odd physical features and clothing, and unusual behaviors for a human. But I could talk to them. As each dream progressed, they started to morph into animals. Near the end of the average one of those dreams I got the impression that they were dreaming too, and maybe they were seeing me as a member of their kindred?

The best of those dreams was of me talking out my bedroom window to a man standing in my driveway, who was dressed in clothing similiar to the colors of a Robin-bird. We talked a bit, but he was busy "announcing", speaking faster than an auctioneer. He had to slow down and pause to talk to me.

After I awoke, I looked out that window and saw a Robin-bird standing in that exact same place in my driveway, all still as in a trance. And I saw the resemblance. And I wondered what form that Robin saw me in? Did I look to him like a giant sized Robin-lady?

A few weeks later, I was out for a walk and a robin-bird came down and landed about 1,5 meters away from me, and just stared at me. But in the waking world, I can not recognize one male robin from the next.

The only such dreams where I perceived myself from the perspective of the non-human lifeform, has been with Elephants and Dolphins. Perhaps because they have large enough brains to spare some mind for my dream consciousness?

On the other hand, reality-based earthly animals have not been the only lifeforms I talked to in dreams. There have also been creatures which do not exist in our earth. In settings which might be other worlds. But nothing like the "aliens" which ufo enthusists talk about.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Had a dream once where I didn't have a corporeal body. I was just flying through the night sky like a ball of light 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I remember two such dreams. One was from a dog perspective and the other a wolf's. 

I even described them in detail, because I remember these dreams made a big impression on me; after waking up I felt wonderful as if I had experienced an adventure, that it really happened.... Unfortunately, for some reason, I removed that app from my phone and lost my "dream diary" 😒 It was a few months ago.

In any case, I remember that there were two common features in both dreams - huge beautiful forest and running through that forest. Fast. The feeling of running on four legs was the best after waking up. Actually in one dream some people and/or dogs were chasing me (Guess it had to be a dream with a wolf 🤔) so there were scary moments but nevertheless exciting. 

Edited by Duch Mirach
  • Like 2

Long ago I used to dream, on occasion, that I was a dragon of some sort, the flying was fun too.

On other occasions I dreamt I was a giant wolf so I do not think that in the dreamscape we are restricted to just our physical form though as we age it does seem that our forms become fixed as do our ability to fly and do other stuff because the physical realm tells us that we can't so that crosses over into the dreams.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I have had what might be termed "cyborg dreams". Last night I had another. They are not pleasant, but not nightmares in the sense of fear or horror.

In them, large sections of my body have been replaced with synthetic prothesis which have no sensation and look ridiculous.

I find myself in a hospital with a nurse occasionally present, she does not understand the concept of what "money" is.

It is not some super powerful mechanical body from a comic book movie. The parts of me that remain feel cold and lonely for more flesh.

• Like 1

Once I dreamt of being a wolf pup, afraid of falling off a cliff. Then I fell and landed, about 50 foot down, and my father wolf looking over the edge with a sad expression. I took that to be a past life, as the dream was vivid and realistic. It might explain why I'm the only person in my family to be scared of heights. 

Had a dream once i was a chocolate paddle pop