Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meet Shanidar Z: 75,000-year-old Neanderthal woman's face reconstructed


Still Waters

Recommended Posts

A UK team of archaeologists on Thursday revealed the reconstructed face of a 75,000-year-old Neanderthal woman, as researchers reappraise the perception of the species as brutish and unsophisticated.

Named Shanidar Z after the cave in Iraqi Kurdistan where her skull was found in 2018, the latest discovery has led experts to probe the mystery of the forty-something Neanderthal woman laid to rest in a sleeping position beneath a huge vertical stone marker.

The lower part of her skeleton is believed to have been excavated in 1960 during groundbreaking excavations by American archaeologist Ralph Solecki in which he found the remains of at least 10 Neanderthals.

His discovery of a cluster of bodies with one surrounded by clumps of ancient pollen led him to controversially argue that this was evidence of funerary rituals with the dead placed on a bed of flowers.

https://www.sciencealert.com/meet-shanidar-z-75000-year-old-neanderthal-womans-face-reconstructed

Related:

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to Meet Shanidar Z: 75,000-year-old Neanderthal woman's face reconstructed
  • 2 weeks later...
 
On 5/2/2024 at 4:13 PM, Still Waters said:

A UK team of archaeologists on Thursday revealed the reconstructed face of a 75,000-year-old Neanderthal woman, as researchers reappraise the perception of the species as brutish and unsophisticated.

Named Shanidar Z after the cave in Iraqi Kurdistan where her skull was found in 2018, the latest discovery has led experts to probe the mystery of the forty-something Neanderthal woman laid to rest in a sleeping position beneath a huge vertical stone marker.

The lower part of her skeleton is believed to have been excavated in 1960 during groundbreaking excavations by American archaeologist Ralph Solecki in which he found the remains of at least 10 Neanderthals.

His discovery of a cluster of bodies with one surrounded by clumps of ancient pollen led him to controversially argue that this was evidence of funerary rituals with the dead placed on a bed of flowers.

https://www.sciencealert.com/meet-shanidar-z-75000-year-old-neanderthal-womans-face-reconstructed

Related:

 

Quote:

Kennis and Kennis have attested to this themselves in an interview with the Guardian in 2018 about their practice. "There are some things the skull can't tell you," admits Adrie Kennis. "You never know how much fat someone had around their eyes, or the thickness of the lips, or the exact position and shape of the nostrils."

So, this reconstruction may be totally wrong.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Decent looking gal... Rock on.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These guys and this bust feature in the new Netflix Neanderthal documentary 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, pallidin said:

Decent looking gal... Rock on.

Lol. I was joking🤪

 

13 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Quote:

Kennis and Kennis have attested to this themselves in an interview with the Guardian in 2018 about their practice. "There are some things the skull can't tell you," admits Adrie Kennis. "You never know how much fat someone had around their eyes, or the thickness of the lips, or the exact position and shape of the nostrils."

So, this reconstruction may be totally wrong.

Makes sense.

I could see how the skulls of identical twins, for example, might reconstruct differently having different lifestyles and hardships.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went to high school with a guy who looked like a Neanderthal. He was a tad slow. Met him while taking a class in the auto shop wing of the school. Seriously, though, Neanderthals weren't really a different species so much as a different race that we absorbed/eliminated in racial warfare. It makes sense that every once in a while we'll see some of their features pop up in modern humans. They are us.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2024 at 12:24 PM, pallidin said:

Lol. I was joking🤪

Ah, ok.....

On 5/13/2024 at 12:24 PM, pallidin said:

Makes sense.

I could see how the skulls of identical twins, for example, might reconstruct differently having different lifestyles and hardships.

Funny you say that: Kennis & Kennis àre identical twins.

But not knowing about the amount of fat around the eyes, the thickness of the lips and the shape and position of the nostrils could cause a totally different reconstruction if the reconstruction was performed by someone else.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, C L Palmer said:

I went to high school with a guy who looked like a Neanderthal. He was a tad slow. Met him while taking a class in the auto shop wing of the school. Seriously, though, Neanderthals weren't really a different species so much as a different race that we absorbed/eliminated in racial warfare. It makes sense that every once in a while we'll see some of their features pop up in modern humans. They are us.

Nikolai Valuev (and look at the guy's skull):

NikolaiValuev.jpg.ad9c6c21bd91ea8a590a393d97703cfe.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Screenshot_20240520-212523_Firefox.thumb.jpg.12a599591113f5a3839aa276e55ecb41.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Screenshot_20240520-212523_Firefox.thumb.jpg.12a599591113f5a3839aa276e55ecb41.jpg

Early Homo Sapiens had the heavy brow ridges too. They protected us when hunting big game. We lost them with the advent of settled farming but some hunter-gatherers still have them. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a heavy brow ridge myself. It's the small forehead and skull dome above that I find interesting, particularly the slope. But again, that isn't surprising considering that Neanderthal DNA survives in European lineage.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.