Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cat Wearing Jetpack in 16th century Drawing Baffles Historians

Hell yes. Give me Renaissance jetpack flying felines any day of the week.

Screw sundogs. Maybe Nuremberg 1541 was about suncats!

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

The US tried putting anti-submarine mines on dolphins, the Russians put anti-tank mines on dogs. Both experiments ended badly, as the poor animals returned to their handlers when they got frightened.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Tamerlane famously unleashed flaming camels in battle to scare the bejesus out of the enemy's war elephants.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Thanos5150 said:

The idea was set forth by artillery man Franz Helm, who had apparently seen action in Turkey and witnessed first-hand the power of gunpowder. His idea went like this: Rather than try to lay siege to a castle or otherwise protected town, you could simply kidnap a cat, attach a jetpack to its back, set it on fire nearby and release the cat, which would run back home in its panic wearing the jetpack and set the whole town on fire."

Something similar had been done with pigeons and incendiaries in the past if I recall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Something similar had been done with pigeons and incendiaries in the past if I recall.

Yup, can't remember where though.

I saw a story recently about a surprisingly friendly beluga whale that was encountered in the wild that was found to have what looked like an old collar or mount for what may have been some kind of transmitter on its back. On closer examination there appeared to have been Cyrillic lettering engraved on it.

It was theorized that because of the location  it was found in, and the familiarity with humans it exhibited, that it may have been part of a Russian experiment to use belugas the same way the US were using dolphins and that it was subsequently abandoned when the tests were concluded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Historians who can read were not baffled.   

Made you look though. It's a new thing called "clickbait". 

Edited by Thanos5150
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Let's not forget Samson and the foxes: https://www.bible.com/bible/compare/JDG.15.4-5

• So he went out and caught three hundred foxes and tied them tail to tail in pairs. He then fastened a torch to every pair of tails, lit the torches and let the foxes loose in the standing grain of the Philistines. He burned up the shocks and standing grain, together with the vineyards and olive groves.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good Grief !  Humans can be incredibly Cruel. 🥲     But ingenious!  ..a flaming cat can travel faster than an ICBM.

• Thanks 1

You tie an elastic band around an important part of that cats anatomy and when it lands it will raise hell............Then explode.

Who was baffled? Not the historians.

Im baffled why such a horrid topic was put up. Just what I needed, to hear about war-mongers burning cats in their quest to kill more people with no regard for humans or animals. Islamic terrorists are putting bombs in cows now too, I hate the human race. Thanks for reminding me.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, dragon1440 said:

Acoustic Kitty

Oh! and leave us not forget the notorious bat bombs.

Edited by Oniomancer
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2024 at 7:07 PM, pellinore said:

The US tried putting anti-submarine mines on dolphins, the Russians put anti-tank mines on dogs. Both experiments ended badly, as the poor animals returned to their handlers when they got frightened.

Wasn't there also a plan or an idea to do this with bats by the US during one of the WWs?

On 5/5/2024 at 5:22 AM, Piney said:

Yup, can't remember where though.

I think that would be St Olga of Kiev, like Antigonos said. That's my favorite episode of Puppet History!

• Like 1

In medieval times pigs we also used to destroy walls of keeps, and in antiquity by setting them on fire an army could scare the horses of the enemy army.

Pigs are highly inflammable ^^

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Supposedly Genghis Khan did this (Seige of Volohai). He asked for hundreds of cats for tribute. Then sent them back (on fire) into the city.

Edited by Bed of chaos
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bed of chaos said:

Supposedly Genghis Khan did this (Seige of Volohai). He asked for hundreds of cats for tribute. Then sent them back (on fire) into the city.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2024 at 7:07 PM, pellinore said:

The US does still use dolphins in maritime operations. Likewise, military working dogs (MWDs) became essential conducting asymmetric warfare in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Edited by Trelane
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2024 at 10:42 AM, Robotic Jew said:

Wasn't there also a plan or an idea to do this with bats by the US during one of the WWs?

Yeah, they tested "bat bombs" during WW2. Known as Project X-Ray. Never fielded in service, only tested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Trelane said:

Yeah, they tested "bat bombs" during WW2. Known as Project X-Ray. Never fielded in service, only tested.

Here's an attack dog. Actually, it looks like he is trying to protect them:

Edited by pellinore
  • Haha 3