Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Prospector films possible black panther in Victoria, Australia

UM-Bot

The size of the tail was interesting. The way the cat had to run through the tall grass may have made it appear larger.

2 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

The animal, which looked unusually large for a domestic cat, was seen bounding through a nearby field.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/376821/prospector-films-possible-black-panther-in-victoria-australia

Looks very similar to a running black panther:

• Like 1

Proportions look off to me

images.jpg

• Like 1

Domesticated cat for sure, didn't have any characteristics of a large cat

Posted (edited)

Comparing the height of the grass alongside the fence line and in the field to the height of the cat, I have to go with jaguar black panther. 

The grass alongside the fence appears to be about 20-24 inches (50.8+ cm) tall, judging by the woven wire underneath the barbed wire.

I have similar fence wire on my acreage here in Iowa. The squares/rectangles are normally about 5 - 6 inches (12.7 cm - 15.2 cm) in height. In the fence in the video, I count 4 squares from ground level.

In the first two seconds of the video, it appears the cat is slowly transitioning from a normal walk to a loping pace, and is standing at near full height. Its head appears to be above the grass. I asked Siri about the height of black panthers:image.jpeg.428b863abda13ee361ffe5966dfd28b9.jpeg

Compared to the height of an average domestic cat:

“The average domestic cat is about 9.5 inches, or 24 centimeters, tall. This number is gathered from all domestic cat breeds worldwide, including feral, farm cats, and house cats. Cats that aren’t included in this average are wild yet related species, like lynx, lions, and jaguars.”

https://www.catwiki.com/faqs/how-tall-is-the-average-cat/

It could be argued that the grass in the field has recently been cut and baled, and therefore shorter than the grass alongside the fence line, but judging by the number (and size) of the volunteer trees in the field, I’d say that field has been neglected for several years.

Edited by simplybill
  • Thanks 1