Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The body electric


mw.decavia

Recommended Posts

I can not prove what I am about to post, because while the effects were observed by others, the evidence was not formally recorded. So it must remain in the realm of colloquial "stories".

 

When I much younger and in the flower of my youth, I was in some ways the body electric.

 

I was like a living capacitor, every move I made storing up enough static electricity to shock people and destroy electronic devices.

 

I was also magnetic enough to swing compass needles to point at me from a metre away.

 

I could reliably tell when a rain storm would turn into a thunderstorm, from the way it smelled. (I still can)

 

At one point a technically minded acquaintance measured the voltage differential between my left and right hands. I was giving off pulses of 27.8v at about 3 per second, continuously. Low amperage though, as I recall.

 

What happened? Time turned me into weak and old, and my body electric no longer sings so loud.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
29 minutes ago, mw.decavia said:

 

 

I could reliably tell when a rain storm would turn into a thunderstorm, from the way it smelled. (I still can)

 

 

That's just ozone

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know enough about the subject the science of electrical current etc that this...

1 hour ago, mw.decavia said:

At one point a technically minded acquaintance measured the voltage differential between my left and right hands. I was giving off pulses of 27.8v at about 3 per second, continuously. Low amperage though, as I recall.

Is fiction, before you get cross with me as you said you have zero supporting evidence.

1 hour ago, mw.decavia said:

What happened? Time turned me into weak and old, and my body electric no longer sings so loud.

Yeah, growing up can make us do things like becoming less credious.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I know enough about the subject the science of electrical current etc that this...

Is fiction, before you get cross with me as you said you have zero supporting evidence.

Yeah, growing up can make us do things like becoming less credious.

It's like the old days when summer break would hit and there would be an influx of "Am I human?" threads. 

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, the13bats said:

I know enough about the subject the science of electrical current etc that this...

Is fiction, before you get cross with me as you said you have zero supporting evidence.

Yeah, growing up can make us do things like becoming less credious.

The acquaintance was named Steve, he was a Pitney-Bowes repair technician who frequently came to my workplace in seemingly futile attempts to keep our letter sorting machine running well. He always came well equipped with a combination oscilloscope/digital-multimeter.

 

It was in the spring of 1998, as I  recall. Our LSM was down again. But it was lunchtime, and he and some of us employees were goofing around and socializing. For some reason the test leads to his testing-hw were getting passed around like some sort of game. I was second to last.

 

For me, the meter was showing 27.8v in it's digital display, while the spikes showed up on it's oscilloscope. The other participants had electrical readings too, theirs were just less and without spikes. Steve was actually telling us the levels  as he went along, and we could see the display too.

 

We all laughed and no one thought it made me anything other than human. I didn't think it made me "special" or different. I just thought it was somehow related to how I was an observable major accumulator of static electricity.

 

Nothing unscientific is being claimed. Maybe just uncommon.

 

I will refrain from the temptation to reply in the same spirit I was replied to in. 

Edited by mw.decavia
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, mw.decavia said:

The acquaintance was named Steve, he was a Pitney-Bowes repair technician who frequently came to my workplace in seemingly futile attempts to keep our letter sorting machine running well. He always came well equipped with a combination oscilloscope/digital-multimeter.

 

It was in the spring of 1998, as I  recall. Our LSM was down again. But it was lunchtime, and he and some of us employees were goofing around and socializing. For some reason the test leads to his testing-hw were getting passed around like some sort of game. I was second to last.

 

For me, the meter was showing 27.8v in it's digital display, while the spikes showed up on it's oscilloscope. The other participants had electrical readings too, theirs were just less and without spikes. Steve was actually telling us the levels  as he went along, and we could see the display too.

 

We all laughed and no one thought it made me anything other than human. I didn't think it made me "special" or different. I just thought it was somehow related to how I was an observable major accumulator of static electricity.

 

Nothing unscientific is being claimed. Maybe just uncommon.

 

I will refrain from the temptation to reply in the same spirit I was replied to in. 

I don't drink so no spirits there nor do I believe in ghosts so again zero spirits, and please try not to take my cynical skepticism personally, I know I don't.

Any circuit AC or DC still has two legs in order to get a reading, just holding the red and black test leads won't produce a reading as far as volts go.

I wasn't there I have no clue what happened the tech might have been having a bit of fun and set his meter to ohms.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Some people carry a higher static charge due to body chemistry. Nothing inherently weird about that. I don't believe that you destroyed electronics all the time. Rather you likely worked around poorly grounded devices. I also don't believe you could move a compass magnet (unless you have pieces of magnetic material inside of you) nor that you r hands were giving off ~30 volts. That is, as Bats so eloquently put it, fiction. 

Edited by Occupational Hubris
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Occupational Hubris said:

Some people carry a higher static charge due to body chemistry. Nothing inherently weird about that. I don't believe that you destroyed electronics all the time. Rather you likely worked around poorly grounded devices. I also don't believe you could move a compass magnet (unless you have pieces of magnetic material inside of you) nor that you r hands were giving off ~30 volts. That is, as Bats so eloquently put it, fiction. 

Before we get flamed let's point out that I'm going on what the OP is claiming and details they gave, and medical equipment that measures things like Motor neurons transmitting electrical signals isn't what the OP is saying at all it's very different.

Occ I do believe it might be possible to get a reading of a static discharge off a human but again that a different idea than what's being claimed and sure any person with a static charge can destroy electrical equipment if it zaps it, but it's like a capacitor a zap and over.

That whole move a compass thing is fiction too unless like you say a magnet or metal is under the skin, I knew a girl who implanted a small rare earth magnet in her finger tip, messed with a lot of people with it, I heard she got it out but idk why.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, mw.decavia said:

The acquaintance was named Steve, he was a Pitney-Bowes repair technician who frequently came to my workplace in seemingly futile attempts to keep our letter sorting machine running well. He always came well equipped with a combination oscilloscope/digital-multimeter.

 

It was in the spring of 1998, as I  recall. Our LSM was down again. But it was lunchtime, and he and some of us employees were goofing around and socializing. For some reason the test leads to his testing-hw were getting passed around like some sort of game. I was second to last.

 

For me, the meter was showing 27.8v in it's digital display, while the spikes showed up on it's oscilloscope. The other participants had electrical readings too, theirs were just less and without spikes. Steve was actually telling us the levels  as he went along, and we could see the display too.

 

We all laughed and no one thought it made me anything other than human. I didn't think it made me "special" or different. I just thought it was somehow related to how I was an observable major accumulator of static electricity.

 

Nothing unscientific is being claimed. Maybe just uncommon.

 

I will refrain from the temptation to reply in the same spirit I was replied to in. 

From PhysicsForums:

The phenomenon you are experiencing is known as "bioelectrical impedance." Our bodies are made up of water and electrolytes, which can conduct electricity. When you touch the multimeter leads with your fingers, your body creates a closed circuit, allowing a small electric current to flow through. The voltage reading you are seeing is the result of this current passing through your body...

Overall, the cause of the voltage readings you are seeing is likely due to the conductivity of your body and the variations in water and electrolyte levels. It is a normal and natural occurrence and nothing to be concerned about.
Link

That being said...yoiu are confused I think about voltages.  27 volts is not the same thing as 20mV.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, the13bats said:

I don't drink so no spirits there nor do I believe in ghosts so again zero spirits, and please try not to take my cynical skepticism personally, I know I don't.

Any circuit AC or DC still has two legs in order to get a reading, just holding the red and black test leads won't produce a reading as far as volts go.

I wasn't there I have no clue what happened the tech might have been having a bit of fun and set his meter to ohms.

Well maybe if you resisted the need to laugh in peoples faces, they wouldn’t think you were acting them personally. 
 

I have yet to see a single conversation that you have had here where you don’t come across as attacking people on a personal level. 
 

I guess we are what we are though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, the13bats said:

That whole move a compass thing is fiction too unless like you say a magnet or metal is under the skin

Not quite. If a person has a static charge they can move a compass. Not through psychic means. Just through electric current. This give false positive with the psi-wheel. 

Edit: An easy way to test this is to put a bottle cap on a table. Then unsheathe a paper wrapped straw. Place it on top of the bottle cap. If it has a static charge it'll move towards your fingers. If you build up a static charge it'll do the same.  

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
19 hours ago, mw.decavia said:

I was like a living capacitor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_capacitance

Body capacitance is the physical property of a human body to act as a capacitor. [1] Like any other electrically conductive object, a human body can store electric charge if insulated. The actual amount of capacitance varies with the surroundings; it would be low when standing on top of a pole with nothing nearby, but high when leaning against an insulated, but grounded large metal surface, such as a household refrigerator, or a metal wall in a factory.

When human body capacitance is charged to a high voltage by friction or other means, it can produce undesirable effects when abruptly discharged as a spark. This can result in momentary pain, a startle response that may cause further accidents, or damage to sensitive materials or electronic devices. In exceptional cases, a spark may ignite flammable gas or vapor resulting in a fire. The influence of body capacitance on a tuned circuit may affect the performance of radio receivers. A circuit that senses a change in capacitance can be used as a touch-sensitive switch, allowing control of devices without operating a button or toggle.

A bit more info if you're interested.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20120302-body-shock-the-energy-inside

Note: Well, a thread I didn't even attempt to debunk....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/5534/why-does-my-body-accumulate-charge

Just some food for thought. 

@Saru Hope this isn't breaking a rule. 

Every time I think about this type of thing I can't help but remembering when I was a teenage boy maybe 12 or 13, and my dad was asleep in his lazy boy all stretched out at the entrance to the hallway that went to my bedroom. I couldn't help myself. I just kind of reached out and touched someone on the tip of his nose... 

.... Yeah the good old days...

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, joc said:

Every time I think about this type of thing I can't help but remembering when I was a teenage boy maybe 12 or 13, and my dad was asleep in his lazy boy all stretched out at the entrance to the hallway that went to my bedroom. I couldn't help myself. I just kind of reached out and touched someone on the tip of his nose... 

.... Yeah the good old days...

During the winter and if my skin is dry, I can set off a voltage detector. 

As a kid my cousin, neighbor and I would shock each other while on his (the neighbor) trampoline. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And there have been times when I go shopping at this particular grocery store. It's called WinCo foods. Anyway, sometimes I build up so much static electricity just roll

ing the cart across their concrete and I will accidentally touch the card itself and it shocked so hard it actually hurts! 

I would wager the composition of one's body has something to do with how much electricity they build up statically. But that's a whole other physics question. 

Suffice to say, it's normal, it's not paranormal... When we were kids we would rub balloons on our hair and then we'd stick them to the ceiling...

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, joc said:

Suffice to say, it's normal, it's not paranormal

Which is to say that everything the OP has mentioned is plausible. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Every time I shut the car door I get shocked…😳….always after a journey and not when I first get in the car…..tells a story that does I think….

 


 

Edited by Shadowsfall
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2024 at 3:30 PM, XenoFish said:

Not quite. If a person has a static charge they can move a compass. Not through psychic means. Just through electric current. This give false positive with the psi-wheel. 

Edit: An easy way to test this is to put a bottle cap on a table. Then unsheathe a paper wrapped straw. Place it on top of the bottle cap. If it has a static charge it'll move towards your fingers. If you build up a static charge it'll do the same.  

Um, I took it that the OP made claims of a special gift able to swing a compass needle at random not some loophole backdoor static charge idea of it happening hap hazard,

Same with the volt meter a static result isn't the same as the OP is describing. 27 volts constant? No.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Um, I took it that the OP made claims of a special gift able to swing a compass needle at random not some loophole backdoor static charge idea of it happening hap hazard,

Same with the volt meter a static result isn't the same as the OP is describing. 27 volts constant? No.

That's your interpretation. Not mine. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

That's your interpretation. Not mine. 

That's right, we humans are not all the same not one size fits all, we don't all see things the same and that keeps things interesting.

Have a good one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Um, I took it that the OP made claims of a special gift able to swing a compass needle at random not some loophole backdoor static charge idea of it happening hap hazard,

Same with the volt meter a static result isn't the same as the OP is describing. 27 volts constant? No.

I never said I could willfully make a compass needle swing randomly. It was compass needles being constantly attracted to my torso, from 1 meter away at the high point of things. That did not happen from hand proximity.

 

Looking at the links replied here, one said that a strong static (human) shock could discharge 20 kilovolts. And that people seldom even notice shocks of less than 4 kilovolts. So why do pulses of 27.8 volts seem surprising? Large static charges could come from storing up many small charges.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, mw.decavia said:

I never said I could willfully make a compass needle swing randomly. It was compass needles being constantly attracted to my torso, from 1 meter away at the high point of things. That did not happen from hand proximity.

 

Looking at the links replied here, one said that a strong static (human) shock could discharge 20 kilovolts. And that people seldom even notice shocks of less than 4 kilovolts. So why do pulses of 27.8 volts seem surprising? Large static charges could come from storing up many small charges.

Oh okay, my bad 🙄

So you are saying any time you hold a compass a meter away it effects the needle? Do you have a strong magnet in your chest?
I would love to see a video where you are grounded and perform that trick with the compass a meter away.

A zap or pulse is different to me than constant volts, I would also love to see a video of a person holding test leads of a meter set to volts showing a steady 27 v

Of course these videos need an unbiased assistant

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Oh okay, my bad 🙄

So you are saying any time you hold a compass a meter away it effects the needle? Do you have a strong magnet in your chest?
I would love to see a video where you are grounded and perform that trick with the compass a meter away.

A zap or pulse is different to me than constant volts, I would also love to see a video of a person holding test leads of a meter set to volts showing a steady 27 v

Of course these videos need an unbiased assistant

You would also need a time machine. As I said in the opening post, as I got older and weaker, my bio-static electricity got weaker and disappeared. These days I do not even create static shocks while wearing nylons.

 

It was at a high point in the late 1990's to early 2000's. In those times I also frequently suffered from acidosis.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
24 minutes ago, mw.decavia said:

You would also need a time machine. As I said in the opening post, as I got older and weaker, my bio-static electricity got weaker and disappeared. These days I do not even create static shocks while wearing nylons.

 

It was at a high point in the late 1990's to early 2000's. In those times I also frequently suffered from acidosis.

 

Ok my bad yet again.

Story of the past, I understand, took me awhile to grasp it. Thanks for your patience

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.