Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I Have Been Having Negative Dreams Of My Mother Who Past Away Some Time Ago

Shuffletracker

I've been having reoccurring dreams of my mother who past away about six years ago. I cant remember the exact content of the dreams, but I do remember that those dreams were very negative in nature.

My relationship with my mom was both great and sometimes not so good (but isn't everyone's relationship like that), what is your opinion why I am having these types of dreams?  Is there a message here?

Skeptics, please stay out of this thread, ty.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Shuffletracker said:

I've been having reoccurring dreams of my mother who past away about six years ago. I cant remember the exact content of the dreams, but I do remember that those dreams were very negative in nature.

My relationship with my mom was both great and sometimes not so good (but isn't everyone's relationship like that), what is your opinion why I am having these types of dreams?  Is there a message here?

You maybe still have some unresolved issues with your mother you're not consciously aware of?

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, Shuffletracker said:

I think if there is a message for you from those dreams it is from you about some guilt or other unpleasant emotion you are ignoring.   Your mother is fine now and you don't have to worry about her.  Are there any incidences of anger you did not resolve with her before she died?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Shuffletracker said:

My father passed away in 2020 and we had a good relationship through my adult life.  I also have dreams of anger and frustration involving him sometimes but they are just dreams.  Keep in mind that every character in a dream is actually some aspect of you so it is really something about yourself that you are feeling a little negative about.

• Like 6

I agree with OverSword.

This isn't about your mom. For one reason or another some part of your mind uses that imagery to converse with other parts of your mind.

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum, Shuffletracker, and my condolences to you on the loss of your mother. 
It sounds as though you have a lot more good memories of your mother than bad memories, and it appears that you’ve already resolved the unresolved issues with your wise observation:  “but isn't everyone's relationship like that?”.  That’s a very mature response. 

My suggestion: if you learn to take control of your dreams, you’re more likely to have positive feelings about the content of your dreams. Before you go to bed at night, remind yourself that you’ve already made the decision to move past the ‘forgive and forget’ stage (as evidenced by your post) and you’ve chosen to cherish (or emphasize) the good memories. 

Our minds respond to our thoughts whether we’re awake or sleeping. It won’t be long before you see a change in the dreams about your mother.

• Like 3

Thread cleaned

Let's keep the contributions positive and constructive please.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, certainly you folks have given me a lot of food for thought here, I'll need some time to digest those thoughts.

If I have anymore dreams about my mom...I will update this thread.

ST

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Shuffletracker said:

Well, certainly you folks have given me a lot of food for thought here, I'll need some time to digest those thoughts.

ST

I lost my wife in December and have weird nightmarish dreams too. @eight bits is excellent with grief dreams like Xeno said so you might want to watch for his answer. 

• Like 5

First, my thanks to @Piney and @XenoFish for their kind words.

In this thread, though, the OP doesn't remember much about the dreams, and so I don't have a lot to work with. If there is something, then I'd be happy to talk it over in PM if that's helpful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@ShuffletrackerWhile potentially well intentioned (and sometimes not) keep in mind that no one else can tell you what the meaning of the symbols your subconscious is sharing with you signify.  This process is entirely personal.  Dreams are personal mythos.

To deepen your understanding and if possible with timing, whenever the dream arises in recall take some time to sit with it, ruminate and explore it... see if any additional images or memories arise as you hold space with the moments from the dream.

You may also get mileage from reading up on Jung's Active Imagination process that is an active dialogue between your waking mind and your subconscious which is accessed by engaging consciously with any particularly strong moments, images from dreams that arise after waking.

Deep empathy for your loss and remember that dreams are the subconscious processing and communicating and this takes place through symbolic means, rarely literal.

So pay particular attention to feelings and any associative memories that may be triggered by recall of strong dream moments.

My best to you shuffle...

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

On 5/10/2024 at 9:17 AM, Shuffletracker said:

Ok, but I didn't see anything to be skeptical of.

• Thanks 3

Lol...just ignore that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 8:22 PM, Shuffletracker said:

ST

Can you sort of describe your dreams and what makes them negative please?

Edited by Crabby Kitten
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2024 at 6:17 AM, Shuffletracker said:

Dreams are sometimes difficult to interpret, because sometimes they don’t mean that much.  If you think about it…you’re dreaming on some level all the time you’re sleeping, but your most vivid dreams, the ones you remember when you awake are during REM sleep.  I wouldn’t worry to much about it.  It’s normal.  Your mom passed away, your going to think about her from time to time, and you are going to miss her from time to time.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I think the death of someone close can be seen in an abstract way as a sort of abandonment. 

They have gone, hopefully to a better stress free place and you are left behind to deal with the situation.

It's easy to see how some negative thoughts could emerge even when there is no desire to consciously put blame on them.

Edited by L.A.T.1961
  • Like 3

On 6/4/2024 at 6:40 AM, Crabby Kitten said:

Can you sort of describe your dreams and what makes them negative please?

The dreams are kinda fuzzy, she is telling me that what I am doing is wrong and she's being way to critical of me in a mean way, that's the best way I can describe it to you.

1 hour ago, Shuffletracker said:

The dreams are kinda fuzzy, she is telling me that what I am doing is wrong and she's being way to critical of me in a mean way, that's the best way I can describe it to you.

It seems like you are feeling guilty about something, you need to figure out what that is.