Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could we have already picked up evidence of alien Dyson spheres ?

Could someone explain what sort of signatures a Dyson sphere might emit? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

According to the old SETI proposal for Project Cyclops, in a section devoted to scanning for theoretical techno signatures, a way to detect a potential Dyson sphere would be to look for the presence of molecules in the atmospheres of a solar system’s rocky planets unlikely to have a natural origin (like chlorofluorocarbons) which a Dyson sphere might produce as a byproduct of its activity (harnessing the energy of the parent star).

Edited by Antigonos
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Quote:

"This structure would emit waste heat in the form of mid-infrared radiation that, in addition to the level of completion of the structure, would depend on its effective temperature," Suazo and his colleagues write.

• Like 5

Nice. Ever read Ringworld by Larry Niven? It would be a shocker to find one, but it would indicate somebody pretty smart and powerful once built it. Are they still around or a billion years gone?
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Nice. Ever read Ringworld by Larry Niven? It would be a shocker to find one, but it would indicate somebody pretty smart and powerful once built it. Are they still around or a billion years gone?

That was a good book.

• Like 2

but would waste heat not defeat the concept of a dyson sphere itself? I mean they harvest energy (heat) from a star, why would they let some slip away? I think we should look or gravitational anomalies instead.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Poncho_Peanatus said:

but would waste heat not defeat the concept of a dyson sphere itself? I mean they harvest energy (heat) from a star, why would they let some slip away? I think we should look or gravitational anomalies instead.

Yes, if there was evidence of bodies orbiting a measurable mass but no light or other emissions.

But the system would be difficult to see without its star on show.

A black star system.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It would look like a red dwarf, but due to building it in a goldilocks zone, it would be very large. 

So would measure in size optically like a red giant, but would have the luminosity, and mass, of a red dwarf.

As i understand it...