Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Eurovision loses almost a quarter of UK viewers compared with 2023

Still Waters

Eurovision lost almost a quarter of its UK viewers compared with last year’s Liverpool extravaganza, amid a row over Israel’s participation.

Saturday night’s grand final on the BBC was watched by an average of 7.64 million people, peaking at 8.46 million, according to official figures provided by the agency Digital i. Britain’s entry, Olly Alexander, finished in 18th place with 46 points after he was awarded zero in the public vote.

Last year’s contest in Liverpool was the most watched final by British viewers since modern records began. 

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/article/2024/may/12/eurovision-loses-almost-quarter-uk-viewers-olly-alexander

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hang on, so is the Guardian suggesting that viewing figures are down because of the whole Gaza thing? 😆

Suppose it's got nothing to do with it being the sunniest weekend this year. My local pub garden was packed.  Personally I never watched it either, I had something better to do.... sticking red hot needles in my eyeballs. 

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

50 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

Eurovision lost almost a quarter of its UK viewers compared with last year’s Liverpool extravaganza, amid a row over Israel’s participation.

And yet:

Israel received 12 points (the maximum) from the televoters in the following countries/groups: Rest of the World, Australia, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, San Marino, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.

It was noted that some of these countries have a large Jewish population, "but while there is a slight tendency for countries with larger Jewish populations to give more points to Israel, the relationship is not strong enough to suggest a direct or significant influence."

https://www.jpost.com/diaspora/antisemitism/article-800879

• Like 5

Voting is predominantly political.   Thats why the UK have as much chance of winning as a whelk does of beating the world land speed record. I

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Essan said:

Voting is predominantly political.   Thats why the UK have as much chance of winning as a whelk does of beating the world land speed record. I

Exactly, and the only reason Ukraine won a couple of years ago. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

And yet:

Israel received 12 points (the maximum) from the televoters in the following countries/groups: Rest of the World, Australia, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, San Marino, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.

It was noted that some of these countries have a large Jewish population, "but while there is a slight tendency for countries with larger Jewish populations to give more points to Israel, the relationship is not strong enough to suggest a direct or significant influence."

Which indicates that the narrative pushed by the main stream media is somewhat at odds with what the general population actually think.  Those that shout the loudest aren't necessarily right or represent the majority. 

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Which indicates that the narrative pushed by the main stream media is somewhat at odds with what the general population actually think.  Those that shout the loudest aren't necessarily right or represent the majority. 

It's exactly in line with the OP.

Those protesting Israel's involvement didn't watch or vote. 

Meaning even more (proportionally) votes to Israel.

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Ah yes, Bambie Thug lol

Ireland’s Bambie Thug filmed in profanity-filled rant after Eden Golan’s Eurovision success

Bambie Thug, the outspokenly pro-Palestinian non-binary contestant who represented Ireland in Eurovision 2024, was filmed having a profanity-filled rant after Saturday’s grand final where she scored less in the public vote, and overall, than Israel’s Eden Golan.

https://www.jpost.com/international/article-800954

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Ah yes, Bambie Thug lol

Ireland’s Bambie Thug filmed in profanity-filled rant after Eden Golan’s Eurovision success

Bambie Thug, the outspokenly pro-Palestinian non-binary contestant who represented Ireland in Eurovision 2024, was filmed having a profanity-filled rant after Saturday’s grand final where she scored less in the public vote, and overall, than Israel’s Eden Golan.

https://www.jpost.com/international/article-800954

Missing the bit where the Israeli national broadcaster was forced to apologise for their offensive commentary about them eh?

17 minutes ago, Setton said:

It's exactly in line with the OP.

Those protesting Israel's involvement didn't watch or vote. 

Meaning even more (proportionally) votes to Israel.

Read the replies.

• Thanks 1

Just now, itsnotoutthere said:

Read the replies.

Yeah, no. I'm not signing up to Musk's latest vanity project for this.

How about you post your own thoughts instead?

And what do you think the significance of 2100 comments is to a show with 8.5 million viewers?

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, Setton said:

Yeah, no. I'm not signing up to Musk's latest vanity project for this.

How about you post your own thoughts instead?

And what do you think the significance of 2100 comments is to a show with 8.5 million viewers?

Er...you don't have to sign up to it to read it. I'm not on twitter, but here's a few examples :-

"If you believe, cutting out babies from a mother's womb and r*pe and kidnap is freedom fighting, you're as hateful as the 44,000 hamas. If they did that to our countries, we'd do far worse to them. Hamas created the rage that's killing their people, that's on them."

"Thanks for the heads up James I'd forgotten about it. I'll be definitely watching Israel win tonight. #Eurovision2024"

GNTXGIIXgAA6nqC.jpg.f0c73113e2c44bd7ef77f2fcb0e74c8f.jpg

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Er...you don't have to sign up to it to read it. I'm not on twitter, but here's a few examples :-

Er...if it would let me read them without signing up, I wouldn't have said that, would I?

"If you believe, cutting out babies from a mother's womb and r*pe and kidnap is freedom fighting, you're as hateful as the 44,000 hamas. If they did that to our countries, we'd do far worse to them. Hamas created the rage that's killing their people, that's on them."

"Thanks for the heads up James I'd forgotten about it. I'll be definitely watching Israel win tonight. #Eurovision2024"

Ok? Again, the relevance? The significance?

Or are you making a point about our education system given that poster's clear lack of reading comprehension skills?

71235-38840e08-d393-44af-87b6-f94f5d208b45.jpg.fd26a2c3c4513fdd515af2012a867afd.jpg

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, itsnotoutthere said:

71235-38840e08-d393-44af-87b6-f94f5d208b45.jpg.fd26a2c3c4513fdd515af2012a867afd.jpg

I feel sorry for you. It's a level of silliness rarely matched. A good group of friends, plenty of drinks and it's one of the best pieces of entertainment out there.

Not because the music is good, of course.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Setton said:

I feel sorry for you. It's a level of silliness rarely matched. A good group of friends, plenty of drinks and it's one of the best pieces of entertainment out there.

Not because the music is good, of course.

It's a bit too camp for my tastes & I've never really been into europop. It was quite a laugh to watch when W*gan used to commentate, but they all take themselves far too seriously these days.

(the whole devil worship thing is a turn off as well)

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Setton said:

Missing the bit where the Israeli national broadcaster was forced to apologise for their offensive commentary about them eh?

Missing the bit where the incident is mentioned at the beginning of the article eh?

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2024 at 3:23 PM, Kittens Are Jerks said:

And yet:

Apparently, if it was just awarded on the public vote Israel would have come second.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Apparently, if it was just awarded on the public vote Israel would have come second.

It was no doubt a hellish week for Eden Golan. Locked in her hotel room between rehearsals and performances for her security, ignored and disrespected by the majority of the other performers (those who dared speak to her faced considerable backlash), and constantly booed by the audience. Yet she was elegant and gracious throughout the entire ordeal. Her performance deserved high scores, it was lovely.

• Thanks 2

The most entertaining fallout from Eurovision. 😆 

Brussels demands answers over ban on EU flags at Eurovision.

National and rainbow flags only. The EU's executive is now seeking answers from the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), the Geneva-based alliance of public media and the organiser of the music celebration.

On its official website, the EBU says Eurovision is a "non-political event" and that all delegations and broadcasters need to ensure that the contest "shall in no case be politicised and/or instrumentalised and/or otherwise brought into disrepute in any way."

How the EU can claim they are non political is difficult even with their variable point of view.

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2024/05/13/completely-regrettable-brussels-demands-answers-over-ban-on-eu-flags-at-eurovision

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Not the first time the EU flag has been given nul points.

Olympic chiefs reject call for EU flag at Tokyo opening ceremony.

Team EU may deserve a gold medal for trying its luck — but Olympic chiefs have rejected a request to feature the European Union flag at the opening ceremony of the Tokyo games.

https://www.politico.eu/article/ioc-rules-ban-eu-flag-from-olympics-opening-ceremony/

Edited by L.A.T.1961
  • Thanks 1

• Thanks 1

@itsnotoutthere I don't know who that guy in the video is but he's brilliant. Covered all of the key issues with some of the best one liners ever. I'm glad he showed what poor Edan Golan had to endure during Eurovision. I had read about the booing, but was horrified when I actually heard just how bad it was. How she managed to get through that week is beyond me. The editing of her song was also uncalled for. The EBU insists they are not political, but yeah sure whatever.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I wonder if Bambi Thug knows that Bam­bi: A Life in the For­est was written by a Jewish writer, Felix Salten, and that the story is considered a para­ble of the way in which Jews were persecuted in Europe.

Edited by Kittens Are Jerks
Minor correction.