Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bid to end deadly cooking methods which stoke global warming

Still Waters

Fifty countries are meeting in France on Tuesday to discuss the lack of access to clean cooking methods worldwide which causes millions of deaths every year and fuels global warming.

Some 2.3 billion people across 128 countries breathe in harmful smoke when they cook on basic stoves or over open fires, according to an International Energy Agency (IEA)-African Development Bank (ADB) report that sounded the alarm last year.

It said 3.7 million people a year die prematurely from harmful cooking practices, with children and women most at risk.

https://phys.org/news/2024-05-deadly-cooking-methods-stoke-global.html

• Like 2

Busy bodies. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

Busy bodies. 

Aye, absolutely disgusting that anyone would care about preventing people dying.  Next they'll be banning lead pipes, telling us smoking tobacco is harmful 🙄 and saying we shouldnt jump off tall buildings.... 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Essan said:

Aye, absolutely disgusting that anyone would care about preventing people dying.  Next they'll be banning lead pipes, telling us smoking tobacco is harmful 🙄 and saying we shouldnt jump off tall buildings.... 

Why don't you go over to Africa and tell those people to change how they have been doing things for hundreds of years.  Maybe you can build them some coal burning power plants to power the electric ovens you would have them install in their shacks? 

Edited by OverSword
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Essan said:

They don't care about people dying but they do care about the control.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Why don't you go over to Africa and tell those people to change how they have been doing things for hundreds of years.  Maybe you can build them some coal burning power plants to power the electric ovens you would have them install in their shacks? 

So, you think that explaining to people that they way they cook is killing them, is a really bad thing?   Do you work for a tobacco company, or are you selling asbestos? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

They don't care about people dying but they do care about the control.

I thought "they" wanted to reduce human population, not make poor people in 3rd world countries live longer 🙄

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Essan said:

So, you think that explaining to people that they way they cook is killing them, is a really bad thing?   Do you work for a tobacco company, or are you selling asbestos? 

So do you think they will pay attention or desire the advice from their former colonial masters about their traditional methods?  Nope.  Just more climate maniacs making a big deal out of something that has little actual affect on climate.  Busy bodies that know better than everyone else.  I guess I can count you as one of those eh?

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

So do you think they will pay attention or desire the advice from their former colonial masters?  Nope.

I think is someone points out that you are killing yourself, and all the evidence supports that, the you should take note.  You disagree Why?  

I have no agenda.  Do you? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Essan said:

I think is someone points out that you are killing yourself, and all the evidence supports that, the you should take note.  You disagree Why?  

I have no agenda.  Do you? 

"Hey Africa, inhaling smoke from the fire you use to cook is bad for you so just stop because we know stuff and you are ignorant savages"  Do you suppose they won't take it that way?  They will take it exactly that way.  Look at the key words to see the actual motivation for this bit of not minding your own business

4 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Fifty countries are meeting in France on Tuesday to discuss the lack of access to clean cooking methods worldwide which causes millions of deaths every year and fuels global warming.

Some 2.3 billion people across 128 countries breathe in harmful smoke when they cook on basic stoves or over open fires, according to an International Energy Agency (IEA)-African Development Bank (ADB) report that sounded the alarm last year.

It said 3.7 million people a year die prematurely from harmful cooking practices, with children and women most at risk.

https://phys.org/news/2024-05-deadly-cooking-methods-stoke-global.html

• Like 1

And yet we stopped using lead pipes for exactly the same reasons.... 

Why do you think poor people should continue to kill themselves?  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Essan said:

And yet we stopped using lead pipes for exactly the same reasons.... 

Why do you think poor people should continue to kill themselves?  

That is a bit of dramatic BS if ever there were.  What doesn't kill you? 

What method do you think people in Africa currently cooking over a fire should switch to?  And what makes you think your methods are better?  See below, they cook over fires.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have known for a long time that millions of people die each year due using open fires to cook on.  

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/home-fires-the-world-s-most-lethal-pollution-2192000.html

Should we be concerned about that? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

No.  We should not be.  They already know inhaling smoke is bad.  They are not ignorant savages just living life differently than you.  Mind your own business is my advice.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

If the west were so concerned about peoples health they should maybe look at the amounts of chemicals, sugar,salt that they put in our food.

But of course it's all about climate change brownie points.

Maybe the west should get it's own house in order before preaching to others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, WVK said:

Probably, but it reminds me of a cause my late father-in-law supported vigorously.  "NPG" - negative population growth.  He used to say "too many people" and hoped that message would be globally supported.  He always ignored the fact that he had three children and over a dozen great grandkids.  :lol:

• Like 2

On 5/13/2024 at 2:39 PM, Essan said:

We have known for a long time that millions of people die each year due using open fires to cook on.  

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/home-fires-the-world-s-most-lethal-pollution-2192000.html

Should we be concerned about that? 

We should.  In reality, the entire Global Climate Change initiatives should be about preserving the planet for the people that live here.  It seems to me if all that energy and money were put into simple world wide education programs, things like the article above could be a thing of the past.

I honestly didn't know that.  But what do I know about the real world?  I live in a house with central heat and air conditioning.  We get all hot and bothered about the smell of bacon lasting too long if it gets a wee bit burned.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2024 at 1:33 PM, OverSword said:

Most of the Third World cooks with wood/charcoal.  In making charcoal, about 30% of the wood goes up in smoke.  It would be nice if somebody could invent more-eeficient wood-burning cook stoves.

Doug

• Like 1

On 5/14/2024 at 11:12 PM, and-then said:

Probably, but it reminds me of a cause my late father-in-law supported vigorously.  "NPG" - negative population growth.  He used to say "too many people" and hoped that message would be globally supported.  He always ignored the fact that he had three children and over a dozen great grandkids.  :lol:

ZPG seems to be coming our way about the end of this century.  That will go a long way toward solving environmental problems.  What we have to do is minimize environmental damage until it gets here.

Doug

• Like 1

The efforts to limit gas-burning appliances in the US have run into a snag in Congress:  the House just voted to give gas appliances more rights than women.

But not to worry.  If people want to continue killing themselves with CO emissions, that's alright with me.

We could solve much of the problem by eliminating pilot lights.  Replace them with electric igniters.  Wouldn't make much difference in price and would be a lot safer.  No time limit needed.  All appliances break down eventually and will need to be replaced.  Just make sure that the only thing available to replace them with is a safer model.

Eventually, it will be desirable to go to electric heat.  But right now, electricity still costs too much to make that practical.  The solution:  replace older generation systems with new more-efficient wind and solar.  That will require replacing trunk lines, but the utilities will spend their own money to do that once the demand for heating power exists.

In this case, technological advance is the answer and it will come no matter what the politics say.

Doug

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

We could solve much of the problem by eliminating pilot lights.  Replace them with electric igniters.

Gas stoves haven't had pilot lights for years.

• Thanks 1

Okay, but food does taste best over an open fire. 

I swear, it's the carcinogens. 

Take it up with management that everything that tastes good is bad for you. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Michelle said:

Gas stoves haven't had pilot lights for years.

But my water heater and gas furnace both have them.

Doug

• Thanks 2

On 5/13/2024 at 2:18 PM, OverSword said:

That is a bit of dramatic BS if ever there were.  What doesn't kill you? 

What method do you think people in Africa currently cooking over a fire should switch to?  And what makes you think your methods are better?  See below, they cook over fires.

The sick ones died.

Doug

• Thanks 1