Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Do You Folks Think Of Whitley Strieber?

Shuffletracker

I have read two of his books on UFOs & aliens, Transformation & Communion and I really don't know what to believe.

I know that he likes to write fiction, but these two books are purported to be real events from his life.

What do you think?

ST

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Before his “revelations” he was a writer of lurid horror fnovels, most notably The Wolfen, which was subsequently made into a movie. He tried his hand at writing in different genres but wasn’t very successful until he decided to write Communion.

It was trial and error to find a successful niche and he found it with the alien abduction crowd.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Shuffletracker said:

I have read two of his books on UFOs & aliens, Transformation & Communion and I really don't know what to believe.

I know that he likes to write fiction, but these two books are purported to be real events from his life.

What do you think?

ST

You limited it to fraud or profit, oops "prophet" then I go with fraud however if I can step out of the two options pigeon hole for a moment,

My dad well into his 70s a fellow not much into these type topics and "found" communion read it and found it interesting knowing I was interested in such phenomenon talked about it and at first I mistook my dads interest for belief but he actually thought the book was sci fi and was a bit embarrassed when I explained while a fictional writer Strieber claimed the events were real.

While I am a rather cold hard cynic when it comes to charlatans using completely unproven claims of paranormal to profit ( ie the warrens ) there are candy apple grey areas,

Let's say Strieber has brain damage and or mental illness then he might not be able to tell the difference between facts and reality and a delusional fantasy world he very well might be a true believer in this case with the alien abuduction rubbish and in turn not a fraud in the true sense like for example the warrens or Jaime Maussan,

Strieber like many true believers do place themselves in a high regard thinking they are special and and a gift that others lack and that pompous arrogance as ridiculous as it is can make sympathy for their mental illnesses hard.

Either side of the coin fraud or mentally ill the house of cards isn't stable for any scrutiny much less actually scientific studies after all all Strieber has are stories and his own beliefs which is it we look at religion enough for many to base their entire life on.

To wrap it up I would maybe in this case imnsho Strieber knows it's fiction but has gone down the rabbit hole so long and earns both a lot of money and attention from it he's good with the ruse and his gullible credious fans seem to love him duping them.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Shuffletracker said:

What do you think?

Read a couple of his books. High quality guy with a real story to tell. 

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Not to change the subject but I am really curious about what happened to all those people who believed they were abducted by aliens in the 80s & 90s.

They're not on TV anymore speaking out like they used to.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Shuffletracker said:

Not to change the subject but I am really curious about what happened to all those people who believed they were abducted by aliens in the 80s & 90s.

Imnsho, for one it was trendy and trends wax and wane many people who make claims of paranormal experiences also deem and self appoint themselves special and or gifted even the ones who pretend to denounce that do it in a fake patronizing way.

Way decades back van tassel hosted UFO conventions in the middle of the desert called giant rock where true believers gathered by the thousands to tell their tales of meeting aliens and going to other planets like Jupiter or Mars, guys like George adamski made tons of money but if a person told you today space people dressed like bus drivers took them to Jupiter what would you think?

Times change think of all the alleged alien abuduction experiences zero not one has presented any evidence all any abductee has is a wild story and we are in an era where stories just aren't enough we need to see proof of course we have true believers and always will but they are a very tiny clique.

Travis Walton who made up a tale that later became a mediocre film failed epic on that lie detector game show , now if you were humiliated worldwide after making the claims he did would you lay low?

Betty hill after Barney passed went on the UFO talk circuit and a fairly famous UFO investigator who does believe in aliens said and I paraphrase that when driving down the road with her she thought street lights were alien ships, that trucks were floating over the road and she was a loon.

Claims of abduction are now pretty much limited to things like coast to coast radio and other such outlets if say Oprah had an abductee on her show the audience would demand evidence and proof of claims.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Shuffletracker said:

I would suggest that a goodly few abductees were people with undiagnosed sexually masochistic urges and a schizotypal personality disorder.  This is not to say that they are crazy, but if such a person hallucinates on environmental toxins, they are most likely to experience something involving a humiliating disempowerment scenario like alien abduction.

For example, when I begin to hallucinate, I begin to see waterfowl.  Ducks, geese, swans, flamingos, penguins, egrets, cormorants, seagulls, ibises, you name it.  It is really useful as it lets me know I am hallucinating.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

The "bedroom abduction" trend took off when Communion, the movie based on the book, began running on basic cable television in the U.S. in the 1990s.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

I would suggest that a goodly few abductees were people with undiagnosed sexually masochistic urges and a schizotypal personality disorder.  This is not to say that they are crazy, but if such a person hallucinates on environmental toxins, they are most likely to experience something involving a humiliating disempowerment scenario like alien abduction.

For example, when I begin to hallucinate, I begin to see waterfowl.  Ducks, geese, swans, flamingos, penguins, egrets, cormorants, seagulls, ibises, you name it.  It is really useful as it lets me know I am hallucinating.

Did the birds look as real to you as anything that is actually real?

I've had plenty of audio hallucinations never visual and yeah, the sounds seem real to me.

That's just it most people with mental issues even brain damage are not crazy it's a stigma that needs to go away.

4 hours ago, astrobeing said:

The "bedroom abduction" trend took off when Communion, the movie based on the book, began running on basic cable television in the U.S. in the 1990s.

Yep, really the trend was building for a while, close encounters set a stage for it to really blow up.

Bud hopskins made lots of great money with his whole hypothesis regression stuff like everything was a demon to the warrens everything was an alien to hopskins no shock Strieber was in with him.

At the time of Wolfen, I thought it's story was less interesting than the werewolf movies it was competing against.

Not to say it was badly written. To bring any story to film would require more screen writing skill than I have.

After his wife Anne died, I noticed that on their website her blog remained active with new entries. I wrote to Mr Streiber's contact email to ask about this, whether they were channeled blog posts or something else.

I was answered by someone who was his staff (??) who said they wished it was channeled because then they would have more material to work with. But all in all, I would not want that staff working for me, based on the tell it like it is uncomplimentary to their boss word choices they used.

After that brief exchange with his staff, I was the target of very sophisticated cyber warfare that lasted for years.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, mw.decavia said:

At the time of Wolfen, I thought it's story was less interesting than the werewolf movies it was competing against.

Not to say it was badly written. To bring any story to film would require more screen writing skill than I have.

After his wife Anne died, I noticed that on their website her blog remained active with new entries. I wrote to Mr Streiber's contact email to ask about this, whether they were channeled blog posts or something else.

I was answered by someone who was his staff (??) who said they wished it was channeled because then they would have more material to work with. But all in all, I would not want that staff working for me, based on the tell it like it is uncomplimentary to their boss word choices they used.

After that brief exchange with his staff, I was the target of very sophisticated cyber warfare that lasted for years.

I admit I never read wolfen and didn't much like the film version and imnsho it was at the bottom of the barrel of B movie werewolf films.

I admit I do not know who took wolfen from book to screen but it didn't impress me much and I felt it pushed too hard that a severed head was conscious a few after being decapitated this idea is debunked in other threads here.

I am not only not a fan but have a disdain for blogs or whatever of a deceased person kept active after their death, if claims were made of channelling then I would find it very loathsome, I recall one such case claimed to be a kid who killed himself one credious member here makes claims this dead kids ghost visits him even plays jokes on him, if course there is zero evidence to support the ridiculous claims.

You placed question marks so are you assuming it was a staff member and you assume it wasnt Mr Strieber himself please clarify,

They explained to you it wasn't channelling in other words some living human isnt speaking for a dead lady, why do you find their honest reply uncomplimentary.

Lastly and way most intriguing is you stated...

2 hours ago, mw.decavia said:

Please do elaborate on this, I won't ask for evidence as I have a sneaky suspicion you have none, I sure do not want to assume anything just what type of sophisticated cyber warfare were you the target of and just why would you be the focus???

7 hours ago, the13bats said:

I admit I never read wolfen and didn't much like the film version and imnsho it was at the bottom of the barrel of B movie werewolf films.

I admit I do not know who took wolfen from book to screen but it didn't impress me much and I felt it pushed too hard that a severed head was conscious a few after being decapitated this idea is debunked in other threads here.

I am not only not a fan but have a disdain for blogs or whatever of a deceased person kept active after their death, if claims were made of channelling then I would find it very loathsome, I recall one such case claimed to be a kid who killed himself one credious member here makes claims this dead kids ghost visits him even plays jokes on him, if course there is zero evidence to support the ridiculous claims.

You placed question marks so are you assuming it was a staff member and you assume it wasnt Mr Strieber himself please clarify,

They explained to you it wasn't channelling in other words some living human isnt speaking for a dead lady, why do you find their honest reply uncomplimentary.

Please do elaborate on this, I won't ask for evidence as I have a sneaky suspicion you have none, I sure do not want to assume anything just what type of sophisticated cyber warfare were you the target of and just why would you be the focus???

Whom ever I was communicating with, they described their job in terms of being someone separate from Whitley himself, and as part of a plural "we" who at least ghost wrote Mr Strieber's non-book material. Maybe like politicians who have ghost writers for their speeches? Which does not prove that it was not Whitley himself, but they referred to him with the tone of an overworked employee talking about their boss.

The answer they gave to my exact question about Ann Streiber's afterlife blog, was that it was unpublished writings from before her death being post-dated. That they wished it was channeled so "we" would have more material.

I also got the impression they did not believe any of what Whitley their boss published, that in their opinion this was all routine publishing management activities.

8 hours ago, the13bats said:

At the time of my brief correspondence with Mr Strieber's staff, I was living with my mother and sister, and we had an ordinary unremarkable residential internet experience. And no known persons hating us for any particular  reason.

Within 2 days, began a long campaign of threats, including death threats, coming from fake  and non-existing addresses. Most of which showed knowledge of our physical location and other major details like our names and ages.

I was not prepared.

The most disturbing one was sent to my mother, a google street view picture of our house, with a photoshopped masked man with an ak47 standing in our yard with a dead body at his feet. And our pictures photoshopped in the windows. And a caption saying we needed burial insurance because we would be killed.

Our computers started getting hacked on a regular basis.  I tried to learn computer security, but our new enemy knew more than I did, perhaps more than most hackers do. They kept changing their attack methods, as soon as I learned to defend against against one, they moved to another.

I spent too much money on expensive brands of internet security devices, but that still did not protect.

In the end, they even hacked our online accessible medical information, causing doctors to make wrong prescriptions based on wrong information in our records.

What a coincidence it started right after talking to Whitley Streiber's staff.

• Confused 2

Interesting.

On 5/14/2024 at 8:21 PM, astrobeing said:

You do know that many abduction stories happen in broad daylight away from a bedroom? 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I find it weird how posters here jump to mental health and hallucinations as some sort of wild creative story writing outlet while simultaneously decrying Streiber.

Seems that is the spate of nonsense started by some posters here.

It just feels uncomfortably coordinated. 

• Confused 1

Just remember that the loudest and most dismissive in these threads are the ones with the zeroest of experiences.

On 5/14/2024 at 3:11 PM, Shuffletracker said:

Because speaking out about such things tends to cost you family, friends and career. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mw.decavia said:

At the time of my brief correspondence with Mr Strieber's staff, I was living with my mother and sister, and we had an ordinary unremarkable residential internet experience. And no known persons hating us for any particular  reason.

Within 2 days, began a long campaign of threats, including death threats, coming from fake  and non-existing addresses. Most of which showed knowledge of our physical location and other major details like our names and ages.

I was not prepared.

The most disturbing one was sent to my mother, a google street view picture of our house, with a photoshopped masked man with an ak47 standing in our yard with a dead body at his feet. And our pictures photoshopped in the windows. And a caption saying we needed burial insurance because we would be killed.

Our computers started getting hacked on a regular basis.  I tried to learn computer security, but our new enemy knew more than I did, perhaps more than most hackers do. They kept changing their attack methods, as soon as I learned to defend against against one, they moved to another.

I spent too much money on expensive brands of internet security devices, but that still did not protect.

In the end, they even hacked our online accessible medical information, causing doctors to make wrong prescriptions based on wrong information in our records.

What a coincidence it started right after talking to Whitley Streiber's staff.

Okay, while I'm not popular with dear true believers here ( skeptic ) I find your experience very interesting and I think I'll go into it like the John keel went into his books.

Now we both know the only information I have is what you shared with me, what you shared so far didn't sound like anything that would have upset Strieber staff to do what you are saying they did to you.

Why do you think they went after you like that, did you say something to them you didn't share with us here?

What was there motive?

1 hour ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

You do know that many abduction stories happen in broad daylight away from a bedroom? 

Did you know that there isn't one not one alleged abduction story ( yes. We agree just stories) that has any collaborative evidence, so in the words of Chrizs what is your very best abduction case, please post it here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

I find it weird how posters here jump to mental health and hallucinations as some sort of wild creative story writing outlet while simultaneously decrying Streiber.

Seems that is the spate of nonsense started by some posters here.

It just feels uncomfortably coordinated. 

Coordinated? Oh dear , hum idk ,paranoid much?

I have a great deal of empathy for mentally ill persons who are delusional and can't tell delusional from reality.

Huh? Did I not make my opinion clear enough? Strieber is either in full knowledge his abduction tales are fictional made up to make a buck or he is looney delusional doesn't know reality from fantasy and still uses it to turn a buck, seems even some true believers take a dim view of paranormal for profit.

As for which one Strieber is I have no idea and don't really care what's really nonsense is to tell an outlandish extraordinary tale have zero evidence and then melt down when asked to support ones claims, hum that does have a feel of uncomfortable coordination.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Yes, those took off after Betty and Barney Hills' story became famous with the TV Movie "The UFO Incident" and increased two years later after Close Encounters of the Third Kind was a huge hit at the box office.

I can't find a single report of a bedroom abduction before Communion was published. Strieber invented a whole new class of alien encounters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Because speaking out about such things tends to cost you family, friends and career. 

Except for Strieber who became rich and famous. I don't feel sorry for those who tried to emulate his success.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, the13bats said:

Did you know that there isn't one not one alleged abduction story ( yes. We agree just stories) that has any collaborative evidence, so in the words of Chrizs what is your very best abduction case, please post it here.

I think that's one reason why the bedroom abduction model was so popular -- no one would expect any witnesses and the aliens simply passed through solid walls leaving no trace. There was never any expectation of finding any evidence.

There was one bedroom abduction case (I can't remember which one) in which the alleged victim wore thick glasses during the interview and was obviously very nearsighted. The interviewer never bothered to ask how the woman was able to see everything so clearly during the abduction without her glasses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2