Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why am I experiencing this?

lithiumflower

Posted (edited)

A passed on person that I knew recently died in a house fire and now, this morning, for the first time ever, I began smelling a burning, metallic smell. However, when I smelled it, I went into my mother's room and said, "mom, do you smell that?!" She responded with, "smell what?" I answered, "burning, I can smell a burning, metallic smell." She said she smelled nothing and then a minute later, the smell was gone.

Could I have smelled that because it was the passed on person that I knew visiting me? Because I have never, ever smelled burning metallic before and my mom and I have been living in our place for years and I looked up online and found out that when someone burns in fire, their burning flesh smells like -- burning and it also smells metallic. So could I have been visited by the passed on person that I knew? And if so, did the smell vanish within a minute later because I scared away or chased away the passed on person away? And if so, will the passed on person eventually come back or did they get scared or chased away permanently and will never return?

Edited by lithiumflower
misspelling
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I have come to think from all I've heard that 'smells' can be one way the spirit world can communicate their presence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, lithiumflower said:

A passed on person that I knew recently died in a house fire and now, this morning, for the first time ever, I began smelling a burning, metallic smell. However, when I smelled it, I went into my mother's room and said, "mom, do you smell that?!" She responded with, "smell what?" I answered, "burning, I can smell a burning, metallic smell." She said she smelled nothing and then a minute later, the smell was gone.

Could I have smelled that because it was the passed on person that I knew visiting me? Because I have never, ever smelled burning metallic before and my mom and I have been living in our place for years and I looked up online and found out that when someone burns in fire, their burning flesh smells like -- burning and it also smells metallic. So could I have been visited by the passed on person that I knew? And if so, did the smell vanish within a minute later because I scared away or chased away the passed on person away? And if so, will the passed on person eventually come back or did they get scared or chased away permanently and will never return?

House fires smell more like burning rubber and plastic. Not "metallic" Trust a first responder.

I agree with @XenoFish Your suffering "phantom smells" from your anxiety. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Either anxiety or something you should see your GP about ASAP (as in “book an appointment as soon as you finish reading this sentence” ASAP). 

• Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

Yes but so I would experience phantosmia one time? Because I've never had it before and I don't have anxiety. I've been having a pretty great day, so it doesn't even make sense

Also, I called a fire station and asked about how a burned body would smell and they said when a whole human body burns, all the iron-rich blood still inside can give the smell a coppery, metallic component, and my loved one died in a house fire, so thus her entire body burned up. 

.....never mind. 

Edited by lithiumflower
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, lithiumflower said:

Yes but so I would experience phantosmia one time? Because I've never had it before and I don't have anxiety. I've been having a pretty great day, so it doesn't even make sense

Also, I called a fire station and asked about how a burned body would smell and they said when a whole human body burns, all the iron-rich blood still inside can give the smell a coppery, metallic component, and my loved one died in a house fire, so thus her entire body burned up. 

.....never mind. 

So what kind of answer do you want? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, lithiumflower said:

.....never mind. 

More like pork barbecue, not "metallic" so I don't know what they're talking about.

Or you made that up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Maybe it was some electric implement in your room?

There may be a fire and suffocation risk. Perhaps. It is a matter of wait and see, in my opinion.

I do not see any reason for a connection to the death of someone else.

Edited by Ell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Piney said:

More like pork barbecue, not "metallic" so I don't know what they're talking about.

Or you made that up.

From what I just read it smells like putrid steak and burnt leather. 

23 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Much more porky. The crispy critters have a bit of a burnt leather smell when you handle them. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Could be phantosmia as Xeno says. I do believe the thought has to cross your mind though for you to get these phantom odors, like when people smell perfume or cigar smoke that is associated with a passed person. Having experienced a lot of the paranormal myself I don't think it is always a phantom smell, it could be the presence of the passed over person. Don't spin out about it, a lot of people experience it if they are open to things other than the mundane. I don't believe you scared the person away, they were here for something and with the paranormal we can only guess what that might be, there are no answers.

3 hours ago, lithiumflower said:

.....never mind. 

Okay houses produce smells out of no where they get stored and released it's well proven as is phantosmia what isn't proven is the dead come visit us.

Wouldn't that be a horrifying idea that a person is burnt to dead so they carry that trauma with them for all times?

Since you mom didn't smell it..

Do this...

4 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Either anxiety or something you should see your GP about ASAP (as in “book an appointment as soon as you finish reading this sentence” ASAP). 

It likely isn't but could be a symptom of a serious health concern but it's not a burnt ghost coming for a smelly visit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

When I am at home, I am very particular about smells of things burning.  If I smell anything that resembles 'burning' I investigate.  Especially anything electrical...I'm like..sniff, sniff...what is that and I am going all through the house sniffing.  So, one day I did that and I'm in my office and I'm thinking...sniff, sniff...that is definitely electrical...where is it coming from...I sniffed and sniffed and low and behold...it was coming from my coffee cup.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, lithiumflower said:

.....never mind. 

That's not what a burnt body smells like. I've been around plenty in my days removing corpses. They smell more like burnt hair and bbq.

Edited by Occupational Hubris
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Sometimes they're cooked just right and i'd get hungry. 

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Occupational Hubris said:

🤢 urk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, openozy said:

I do believe the thought has to cross your mind though for you to get these phantom odors

Particularly strong memories and experiences can/could cause these phantom sensations. If you think about yawning long enough, going over every feeling and detail of it, you'll yawn. Same with something that'll make you vomit. Thinking about it to the point where just the thought'll make you want to puke. Phantom spiders, smells, touch, tastes. 

A friend dying in a fire combined with grief could very well induce such a phantom smell. If something like that were to persist a wellness check wouldn't hurt. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Occupational Hubris said:

That's not what a burnt body smells like. I've been around plenty in my days removing corpses. They smell more like burnt hair and bbq.

When I went to turn in the business's plectron and Motorolas to the borough a few weeks ago one of the line officers was talking about me being a junior in the 80s and having to do all the coroner assists which isn't allowed anymore. 

I didn't know you did that. 

6 hours ago, Occupational Hubris said:

The civies are always offended by the sick humor and I'd fire back if you didn't vent this way you'd go insane. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Piney said:

When I went to turn in the business's plectron and Motorolas to the borough a few weeks ago one of the line officers was talking about me being a junior in the 80s and having to do all the coroner assists which isn't allowed anymore. 

I didn't know you did that. 

I don't do it anymore, but i did it 6 nights a week for about 5 years. Seen it all. 

23 minutes ago, Piney said:

The civies are always offended by the sick humor and I'd fire back if you didn't vent this way you'd go insane. 

We had more fun then we probably should have in those situations. You never forget the first time you pick a brain up off the freeway  🧠

7 minutes ago, Occupational Hubris said:

We had more fun then we probably should have in those situations. You never forget the first time you pick a brain up off the freeway  🧠

Or pry a victim off a seat with a Halligan tool and grab a arm and it comes off and the meat falls clean off the bone. 

I looked at my senior officer and said "It's over between me a chicken barbecues."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You guys seem to have coped, I had a club friend in the mid 90s became an emt, he really wanted to do it went into it all delighted,

Little over a year into it he goes to a school bus crash really bad messed up kids, he had a break down never did fully recover.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Occupational Hubris said:

We had more fun then we probably should have in those situations.

You'd have to.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Particularly strong memories and experiences can/could cause these phantom sensations. If you think about yawning long enough, going over every feeling and detail of it, you'll yawn. Same with something that'll make you vomit. Thinking about it to the point where just the thought'll make you want to puke. Phantom spiders, smells, touch, tastes. 

A friend dying in a fire combined with grief could very well induce such a phantom smell. If something like that were to persist a wellness check wouldn't hurt. 

Good points Xeno. I almost vomit but dry reach when I think about my sister in law picking a huge booger and eating it one time🤮. For me I'd rather scrape a burnt body like Piney did. Blood, guts is nothing compared to snot 👃🤣.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, openozy said:

guts is nothing compared to snot 👃🤣.

How very very true.🤢🤮

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1