Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mircea Eliade

TrumanB

Posted (edited)

Is anyone familiar with his work? Eliade was a Romanian historian of religions.

I ran to his book Initiation, rites, sociétés secrètes. It's not that every detail interests me but for example, the description of initiation for Siberian and other northern nations' shamans is fascinating. They would isolate them and hold them unconscious in a cabin called a yurt. The candidate would go through the inner process of cutting his body into pieces and cooking them. Or they would see their body devoured by a white wolf and turned into a skeleton. After waking up they would be reborn and ready to take the role of shaman.

This is just from one book, I'm planning to read some more by time. If you have any recommendations don't hesitate.

Edited by TrumanB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, TrumanB said:

the description of initiation for Siberian and other northern nations' shamans is fascinating. They would isolate them and hold them unconscious in a cabin called a yurt. The candidate would go through the inner process of cutting his body into pieces and cooking them. Or they would see their body devoured by a white wolf and turned into a skeleton. After waking up they would be reborn and ready to take the role of shaman.

That is a form of "vision quest" which only works when you are rock bottom. Not all forms of Siberian Shamanism uses this rite though. Eliade was a generalist.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Piney said:

That is a form of "vision quest" which only works when you are rock bottom. Not all forms of Siberian Shamanism uses this rite though. Eliade was a generalist.  

I get that, god knows what they give them. I am wondering how strong that experience of dissolving your own body. Is it genuinely transforming a person? It's like dying and being reborn.

Eliade was academian. I doubt that he had personal experience. But still, his books are highly acclaimed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TrumanB said:

I get that, god knows what they give them. I am wondering how strong that experience of dissolving your own body. Is it genuinely transforming a person? It's like dying and being reborn.

Eliade was academian. I doubt that he had personal experience. But still, his books are highly acclaimed.

Exactly. Reborn and it feels like a thunderbolt. You can almost visualize a wave of energy burst out of you. Feel the reality shift. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Piney said:

Exactly. Reborn and it feels like a thunderbolt. You can almost visualize a wave of energy burst out of you. Feel the reality shift. 

That's good stuff then. Not everything in shamanism is quackery (if that's the right word). I was under the impression based on some of your writings that shamanism for you is a highly overrated thing and that shamans are not a real deal and have no real powers. But if shamanism can transform these people and awaken them then it's a legitimate path for some.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TrumanB said:

That's good stuff then. Not everything in shamanism is quackery (if that's the right word). I was under the impression based on some of your writings that shamanism for you is a highly overrated thing and that shamans are not a real deal and have no real powers. But if shamanism can transform these people and awaken them then it's a legitimate path for some.

It's all about accepting one reality tunnel over another. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

It's all about accepting one reality tunnel over another. 

I don't know but I think that if you want a real change within you it's needed to activate the energy channels. As they say, you can't solve a problem on the same level it was created.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TrumanB said:

I don't know but I think that if you want a real change within you it's needed to activate the energy channels. As they say, you can't solve a problem on the same level it was created.

There are no energy channels. Just change your thinking and actions. Hopefully you'll grow out of this metaphysical stuff. It's a waste of time.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Thanks 3

Yeah, a lot of people choose a different flavor of BS to rule their lives--that's all. Happens all the time on UB.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TrumanB said:

I outgrew it. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Piney said:

I outgrew it. 

Seems to happen to a lot of us...

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, XenoFish said:

There are no energy channels. Just change your thinking and actions. Hopefully you'll grow out of this metaphysical stuff. It's a waste of time.

You can't just change your thinking and actions. There must be something that can trigger a change in thinking and action. It's not metaphysical stuff. It's energy. After yoga I feel different. That's not metaphysics. Imagine if I could awaken Kundalini.  My actions and thoughts would change automatically.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, TrumanB said:

You can't just change your thinking and actions. There must be something that can trigger a change in thinking and action. It's not metaphysical stuff. It's energy. After yoga I feel different. That's not metaphysics. Imagine if I could awaken Kundalini.  My actions and thoughts would change automatically.

Going through all that huff and puff is just a change in thought and actions. Only to obtain some psychosomatic effect. 

Thought + Action + Repetition 

That's all it takes to change things. Plus the wisdom to change or alter the course of action as need be. 

You'll figure the real deal one day. 

Edited by XenoFish
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

For another view into some of the same subject matter, I recommend Joseph Campbell  The Hero with a Thousand Faces  is a book that compares the hero quest in multiple cultures  and our own personal journey.  The Masks of God  in three volumes Primitive Mythology, Oriental mythology, and Occidental mythology.  A little dated perhaps, tip off the use of Oriental in the title, but still with a lot of insights to extract. Academicians and scholars have a depth of knowledge in their fields but probably not as the practitioners of their subject matter.   That would be viewed as biased and unscientific I believe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Going through all that huff and puff is just a change in thought and actions. Only to obtain some psychosomatic effect. 

Thought + Action + Repetition 

That's all it takes to change things. Plus the wisdom to change or alter the course of action as need be. 

You'll figure the real deal one day. 

For what its worth, I had an aikido teacher with two favorite sayings:

"If it is worth doing right, it is worth doing wrong a hundred times first."

"Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect."

• Like 6

I'm personally shocked over and over how my/our actions and decisions are predetermined. But maybe that goes beyond this thread.

1 hour ago, TrumanB said:

I'm personally shocked over and over how my/our actions and decisions are predetermined. But maybe that goes beyond this thread.

No they aren't. There are many paths that can be followed. The future stretches out like a fingerboard. 

• Like 1

Well, if that's the case I wouldn't have a precognitive dream two days ago that predicted my (missed opportunity) action from the same day. And it ain't the first time.

Our behavior is wired, so far I haven't been able to crack the code.

3 hours ago, TrumanB said:

Well, if that's the case I wouldn't have a precognitive dream two days ago that predicted my (missed opportunity) action from the same day. And it ain't the first time.

Precognition doesn't mean predestination.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/19/2024 at 5:53 PM, TrumanB said:

Self fulfilling prophecy is a thing you know. People like to think things are predetermined, I like to think that somethings are preplanned.