Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nigerian mass wedding for orphaned girls provokes outcry

Kittens Are Jerks

Mass wedding for Nigeria orphans sparks outcry

The planned mass wedding of about 100 orphans has sparked widespread outrage across Nigeria. The orphans, some of whom are feared to be underage girls, are set to be married off on 24 May in the north-western state of Niger. They have all lost parents to attacks by armed bandits, who regularly target civilians across the state. Nigeria's Women's Affairs Minister Uju Kennedy-Ohanenye said she has filed a court order to stop the ceremony.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c3gqvzql9ylo

Additional news sources:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/05/17/nigerian-mass-wedding-for-orphaned-girls-provokes-outcry/

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/mass-wedding-plans-100-nigerian-girls-women-spark-outrage-2024-05-16/

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Its a terribly pragmatic solution to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. I hope the outcry brings real change and that the women/girls involved can be rescued. 

• Like 7

If these girls (and boys) were adopted, they would be raped - and therefore dishonored. Marrying them might still get them subjected to sexual intercourse, but being married they would not be dishonored.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

People should stay out of other people's ways or traditions and mind their own business.

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, openozy said:

People should stay out of other people's ways or traditions and mind their own business.

Those other peoples’ ways have a habit of becoming your business, eventually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, openozy said:

If you read it, it's about Nigerians being outraged over something happening in Nigeria. 

Sounds like they should have a say, if anyone.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, openozy said:

Think that through a bit further... I live in South Alabama.  Roughly 150 years ago, some people in my state legally OWNED human beings.  See my point?  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GlitterRose said:

If you read it, it's about Nigerians being outraged over something happening in Nigeria. 

Sounds like they should have a say, if anyone.

Yeah for sure, but leave to them to sort out. We need to address our own issues like child prostitution before worrying about other nation's problems.

8 hours ago, Cho Jinn said:

Those other peoples’ ways have a habit of becoming your business, eventually.

Don't see how that will happen.

4 hours ago, and-then said:

Think that through a bit further... I live in South Alabama.  Roughly 150 years ago, some people in my state legally OWNED human beings.  See my point?  

Having some African slave ancestors I can understand the point on a deep level but even so it's none of my business. Let their own people deal with it.

Orphans married off in Nigeria after mass wedding outcry

At least 100 young women, including many orphans, have been married off in separate ceremonies in Nigeria, following widespread outrage in the country. Friday's event was initially meant to be a mass wedding, but Women’s Affairs Minister Uju Kennedy-Ohanenye filed a court order to stop it, fearing that some girls were underage.

She went back on that decision after reaching an agreement with the Speaker of the Niger State Assembly, Abdulmalik Sarkin-Daji, who supported the mass wedding, for the young women to have individual ceremonies. “I did not intend to stop the marriage but to ensure the girls are of marriageable age and were not being forced into it,” Ms Kennedy-Ohanenye said in a statement.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cyjj7wr7e9no

• Sad 1