Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is hypnosis real, or is it all just an act?

Still Waters

“Hypnosis remains among the most widely misrepresented practices in psychology and allied disciplines,” wrote experimental psychologists Steven Jay Lynn, Madeline Stein, and Devin Terhune in the journal BJPsych Advances last year. “In particular, there is a pronounced discrepancy between how hypnosis is used in clinical settings and understood within contemporary scientific research and how it is portrayed in popular culture.”

So, how is the practice understood in science? Well, to be honest, science isn’t exactly sure.

https://www.iflscience.com/is-hypnosis-real-heres-what-science-has-to-say-74109

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I cannot drive and talk at the same time...I mean...carry on a real conversation...even with myself.  I have been talking out loud expressing my opinions and thoughts to no one else but myself and 'wake up' only after I drove miles passed my destination.  

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, joc said:

I cannot drive and talk at the same time...I mean...carry on a real conversation...even with myself.  I have been talking out loud expressing my opinions and thoughts to no one else but myself and 'wake up' only after I drove miles passed my destination.  

This is unbelievable. You just perfectly described me. 
😃

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Not everyone can be hypnotized, but for those who can, it works.  I know a man who quit smoking under hypnosis.  It was suggested that if he ever smoked another cigarette it would make him ill and or feel like vomiting.  After a few months of not smoking, he decided to sneak one.  Quess what happened?  You guessed it….he vomited before even finishing the smoke.

• Like 1

I had it (I am VERY hard to hypnotize)... it was very helpful.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think hypnotherapy or neuro linguistic programming is real. Though doesn't work on everyone. I just finished Don't Call It a Cult (Sarah Berman) about NXIVM. The cult leaders 2nd in command (Nancy Salzman) was a hypnotherapist trained in NLP. No doubt they used it in workshops or NXIVM's bs seminars.

It relies on non verbal cues, studying body language, importance of rapport. Again, I'm unsure it works on everyone. Many consider it psuedo science.

Edited by Bed of chaos