Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Row erupts over portraits of Australia's richest woman

Still Waters

On a stark yellow wall inside a Canberra art gallery, hang 21 colourful paintings – a satirical series depicting some of the most influential people who have shaped Australia.

There’s a wonky looking King Charles, a canvas capturing Cathy Freeman’s famous Sydney 2000 Olympics victory, an image of former prime minister Scott Morrison mid-lecture – even the late Queen Elizabeth II appears.

But one portrait – three from the left in the second row – has become the centre of a peculiar spat. It has embroiled the nation’s richest woman, one of its most celebrated artists and a swimming great – and kicked off a national debate about art and censorship.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz74ed6yk9lo

• Like 3

No worse than Spitting Image.

Whatshisface the artist is 100% trading on his famous surname, and if any white fella painted Adam Goodes the way he did we’d be seeing riots, but I am 100% behind him for ridiculing/satarising Big Betty, Gina the Hut, Charlie-Boy and Scotty from Marketing. 

To be fair there is a double chin too many.  After all, you would think someone with $30b in the coffers could afford a facial plastic surgery.

13 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

To be fair there is a double chin too many.  After all, you would think someone with $30b in the coffers could afford a facial plastic surgery.

She needs a full-body transplant.

15 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

She needs a full-body transplant.

A friend of mine I haven't seen for years use to say "if she farted I wouldn't kick her out of bed".  For Gina, I would add to that quote "once I saw her bank account".

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Razman said:

It looks almost like a Picasso.

I was thinking H.P. Lovecraft.

• Like 2

I guess the word artist can have a wide range of meaning.?    :blink:

On 5/19/2024 at 10:38 PM, lightly said:

I guess the word artist can have a wide range of meaning.?    :blink:

One of our most famous, highly regarded and lauded artists was once named Albert Namijira. 
He’s the uncle of this artist. 

• Like 1

Comedian drops plan for a billboard of Gina Rinehart portrait in Times Square

An Australian comedian has dropped his plan to broadcast Vincent Namatjira’s contentious portrait of Gina Rinehart to thousands of tourists and New Yorkers in Times Square.

Dan Ilic told the Guardian on Tuesday lunchtime that after exceeding his crowdfunding target of A$30,000, his stunt would go live in Times Square at 8pm on Friday night.

It was expected to attract millions of online viewers after the story of the mining magnate’s displeasure over the Namatjira portrait in the National Gallery of Australia went global.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/article/2024/may/28/comedian-drops-plan-for-a-billboard-of-gina-rinehart-portrait-in-times-square