Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Is Your Opinion of The Subconscious Mind?

Shuffletracker

I have this book called The Power of Your Subconscious Mind by Joseph Murphy. Reading the book this in a way sounds like the Law of Attraction which is something I have tried and not worked out for me.

For example on page 78 one of the techniques for business people is to say the word "success" over & over many times during the day until they reach a conviction that success is theirs. That is just one of the techniques in the book.

To be honest I haven't done everything in the book, so maybe I should wait to finish it before forming a opinion.

Do you believe in the subconscious mind? Or something like it?

Just curious.

29 minutes ago, Shuffletracker said:

one of the techniques for business people is to say the word "success" over & over many times during the day

That is magic, i.e. a prayer. It might build confidence. It might produce a result magically.

Do you believe in the subconscious mind?

See an individual as a car. The person driving the car is the conscious part of the individual. The passengers and the car itself and its parts are the subconscious.

1 hour ago, Shuffletracker said:

I have this book called The Power of Your Subconscious Mind by Joseph Murphy. Reading the book this in a way sounds like the Law of Attraction which is something I have tried and not worked out for me.

For example on page 78 one of the techniques for business people is to say the word "success" over & over many times during the day until they reach a conviction that success is theirs. That is just one of the techniques in the book.

To be honest I haven't done everything in the book, so maybe I should wait to finish it before forming a opinion.

Just curious.

LOL

That's not 'the subconscious mind' that is self-hypnotising. And the law of attraction is bonkers crap too. What is the issue if it doesn't work for you? You weren't trying hard enough. It's a scam to prey on vulnerable people.

The subconscious mind is when you react to things in a way you can't quite explain yourself, where you accumulate the subsurface parts of your personality. If you want to get on top of that you need to start facing all your traumas and false conditioning we all received during childhood teenage years etc.

The universe isn't a wishing-well where you just get whatever tickles your fancy.

Subconscious is where the spirit operates. Spirit dwells much deeper.

• Like 1

I am going to recommend another book about the subconscious.  Rather than a how-to book, it is an examination of  scientific  endeavor to understand the brain.  Malcolm Gladwell  Blink 

• Thanks 3

Well, it is working great for Trump. He's incompetent but just because he believes he is the best who has ever existed he is extremely successful.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Shuffletracker said:

Just curious.

Not everyone's brain works well with 'positive affirmations and visualizations'. We as a species have a natural negativity bias. So positive statements kinda short circuit. 

I found using neutral-ish statements to be better. The whole "I Am" affirmations were a reminder of what i wasn't. 

It's difficult to go into, as it's a personal thing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Shuffletracker said:

page 78 one of the techniques for business people is to say the word "success" over & over many times during the day until they reach a conviction that success is theirs.

Not in my copy. It's about healing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know , but the word Subconscious to me kind of puts a barrier there , like a divider , where in actuality , it is all your "conscious" , just a deeper part of it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Razman said:

I don't know , but the word Subconscious to me kind of puts a barrier there , like a divider , where in actuality , it is all your "conscious" , just a deeper part of it.

I think the subconscious is part of the whole but at the same time it is independent to most of us who have not practiced techniques that could access it. 

19 hours ago, Shuffletracker said:

There have been numerous books written on the subject but there intent is to sell books.   The definitive book was written by Napoleon Hill.  Think and Grow Rich.  It was not written to make him rich...but in the end it made him very wealthy.

You can repeat mantras all day long to no avail.  The thing to understand about the subconscious mind is how it relates to the conscious mind. 

Napoleon Hill said, Desire is the starting point for all achievement.  What he did was lay out a plan to increase that desire.  That is where the conscious mind meets the subconscious mind.  What @XenoFish said is absolutely correct.   We as a species have a natural negativity bias.

The tendency is to think negatively.  The negative thought process kills desire.  Napoleon Hill said that the subconscious mind has the job of searching out memory to support the conscious thought.  So...you never learned how to tie your shoe laces...but you want to tie your shoe laces.  You try and try and try and you just can't figure it out.  So, you say, It is too hard, I'm not smart enough to figure it out.  The subconscious mind then goes to work reminding you through memory of all the things you couldn't do because you aren't smart enough.  The desire dies a horrible death.  You never learn to tie your shoe laces.  The anecdote is to tell yourself that you can figure this out.  The subconscious mind then seeks memory of how you strung that bow and arrow after several tries.  That is how your subconscious mind works.  Whatever you feed it, it will regurgitate it right back at you.   You then have the idea, Hmmm, maybe You Tube would help...and you find a youtube video that is understandable and the next thing you know you are tying your own shoe laces.  That is success!

It's not about saying the right words over and over like 'success'.  It is about increasing your desire that you already have to a White Hot Desire that cannot be stopped.  

I have a whole box of Think and Grow Rich.  I highly recommend it.  It changed my entire life 40 years ago.  I only stopped reading it when I realized I had memorized the entire book and my mindset was forever changed.  Lots of books have been written about how you need to think positive.   Negativity is the natural human default.   In order to change the default it is necessary to override the default.  To do that one must negate the negative.  

• Thanks 1

While the subconscious does pull from past experiences. The best way to get big success is with small success. Even stupidly little successes. A small goal of making the bed each morning can go to improve that "Do It" ability. Eventually things become habits and that's what a person should want. At least good habits that is. 

Atomic Habits by James Clear is also a good book. 

• Thanks 2

On 5/19/2024 at 6:34 PM, XenoFish said:

While the subconscious does pull from past experiences. The best way to get big success is with small success. Even stupidly little successes. A small goal of making the bed each morning can go to improve that "Do It" ability. Eventually things become habits and that's what a person should want. At least good habits that is. 

Atomic Habits by James Clear is also a good book. 

All those little successes create a subconscious template of success.  The whole idea of Napoleon Hill was to make a habit of being successful at everything, not giving up because things were too difficult.  He said, You might be unsuccessful in  your attempts but you are never a failure until you give up in  your own mind.  

I still think Yoda summed it all up the best...Do or do not...there is no try!

So, we make a habit of succeeding and pretty soon there is nothing we cannot do.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, joc said:

All those little successes create a subconscious template of success.  The whole idea of Napoleon Hill was to make a habit of being successful at everything, not giving up because things were too difficult.  He said, You might be unsuccessful in  your attempts but you are never a failure until you give up in  your own mind.  

I still think Yoda summed it all up the best...Do or do not...there is no try!

So, we make a habit of succeeding and pretty soon there is nothing we cannot do.  

I haven't read Think and Grow Rich in a few years. I know it's basically a compilation of New Thought ideas.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I haven't read Think and Grow Rich in a few years. I know it's basically a compilation of New Thought ideas.

I had to look up New Thought because I didn't know what that was...what I found is this:

New Thought

noun

: a mental healing movement embracing a number of small groups and organizations devoted generally to such ideas as spiritual healing, the creative power of constructive thinking, and personal guidance from an inner presence.

Is that what you are talking about because if it is, that is not what Think and Grow Rich is.  

Think and Grow Rich was written in 1937.  Except for the part about the creative power of constructive thinking.  It is definitely that.

Edited by joc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, joc said:

I had to look up New Thought because I didn't know what that was...what I found is this:

New Thought

noun

: a mental healing movement embracing a number of small groups and organizations devoted generally to such ideas as spiritual healing, the creative power of constructive thinking, and personal guidance from an inner presence.

Is that what you are talking about because if it is, that is not what Think and Grow Rich is.  

Think and Grow Rich was written in 1937.  Except for the part about the creative power of constructive thinking.  It is definitely that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Master_Key_System

Seems that Hill put his own spin on the above link.

His a link to a whole channel dedicated to new thought books.

https://m.youtube.com/@MasterKeySociety/videos

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Master_Key_System

Seems that Hill put his own spin on the above link.

His a link to a whole channel dedicated to new thought books.

https://m.youtube.com/@MasterKeySociety/videos

I guess people can take whatever they want from whatever they want.  All I know is what I took from it.  All you have to do to be successful is to say that you can be successful and if you don't quit, eventually you will succeed.  I've never read any of those books...what I know is that if you think  you can, then you can.  And if you think  you cannot then, you cannot.  And the subconscious plays a huge part in all of it.  What I know is that if you allow your mind to think negative thoughts then you limit your ability to succeed.  It changed my way of thinking...and now, can't is not a part of my vocabulary.  It's not that I try to think positively.  I just do. 

So when asked about the subconscious mind...I say what I know.  I know it because I have been living it for 40 years.  At the same time though, I am attracted to positive thoughts, like Yoda, like Chevy Chase in whatever movie it was where he said, See your future, Be your future.  It works for me.  But you know, different strokes for different folks. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, joc said:

I guess people can take whatever they want from whatever they want.  All I know is what I took from it.  All you have to do to be successful is to say that you can be successful and if you don't quit, eventually you will succeed.  I've never read any of those books...what I know is that if you think  you can, then you can.  And if you think  you cannot then, you cannot.  And the subconscious plays a huge part in all of it.  What I know is that if you allow your mind to think negative thoughts then you limit your ability to succeed.  It changed my way of thinking...and now, can't is not a part of my vocabulary.  It's not that I try to think positively.  I just do. 

So when asked about the subconscious mind...I say what I know.  I know it because I have been living it for 40 years.  At the same time though, I am attracted to positive thoughts, like Yoda, like Chevy Chase in whatever movie it was where he said, See your future, Be your future.  It works for me.  But you know, different strokes for different folks. 

I could never really delude myself enough to think success equals success. I've always needed concrete planning and actions. Positive thinking is just fantasy to me. If I want something or to accomplish something I just write it down. Come up with a plan of actions or paths. Organize those action steps from easy to difficult and follow through. Guess I don't operate like others seem to do. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I could never really delude myself enough to think success equals success. I've always needed concrete planning and actions. Positive thinking is just fantasy to me. If I want something or to accomplish something I just write it down. Come up with a plan of actions or paths. Organize those action steps from easy to difficult and follow through. Guess I don't operate like others seem to do. 

What you just described is exactly what the book teaches. Concrete  planning and action. Hill said that if you ask 100 people what they want most in life, most will say a lot of money, but only two will be able to illustrate a Plan on how to achieve it.  He also said, Plan your work and work your plan.

Positive thinking seems s fantasy to you because, IMHO, your mind is already saturated with the positive.  As a result, you don't need pep talks from a book or anyone else about how to think because you already know how to think. You are well aware of your abilities and your limitations.  You know what's real and what's not, what works and why, what doesn't work and why it doesn't.  And I don't think that describes most people.

I came across the book when I was 27 and in a really difficult situation and I didn't know how to think...that's why it had such an impact on me.  Once that lightbulb clicked on in my head it was so amazing.  The dopamine rush of understanding.  

It isn't about mantras or magic or positive thinking.  It is about doing.  And Hill said that as well, Happiness is found in doing.  I think that is why I like Yoda's ...Do or do not, there is no try.  No one cares if you tried.  The world just cares about did you or didn't you.

Edited by joc
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, joc said:

What you just described is exactly what the book teaches. Concrete  planning and action. Hill said that if you ask 100 people what they want most in life, most will say a lot of money, but only two will be able to illustrate a Plan on how to achieve it.  He also said, Plan your work and work your plan.

Positive thinking seems s fantasy to you because, IMHO, your mind is already saturated with the positive.  As a result, you don't need pep talks from a book or anyone else about how to think because you already know how to think. You are well aware of your abilities and your limitations.  You know what's real and what's not, what works and why, what doesn't work and why it doesn't.  And I don't think that describes most people.

I came across the book when I was 27 and in a really difficult situation and I didn't know how to think...that's why it had such an impact on me.  Once that lightbulb clicked on in my head it was so amazing.  The dopamine rush of understanding.  

It isn't about mantras or magic or positive thinking.  It is about doing.  And Hill said that as well, Happiness is found in doing.  I think that is why I like Yoda's ...Do or do not, there is no try.  No one cares if you tried.  The world just cares about did you or didn't you.

I think you're right. Seems it influenced my approach to magick and got in my subconscious. Read it a few time back in the early 2000's. Might need to read it again.

• Like 2